House Price Crash Forum

E Herts / W Essex

Killer Bunny

HOLA441

on Wednesday evening 9th January chez nous:

"Britain's Biggest House Price Falls:

ITV 1

Investigation into the current downturn in Britain's housing market, revealing the areas of the country worst affected and asking not just who stands to lose out, but who stands to benefit from the slump"

Er, I can guarantee this will be HPC friendly... :lol:;)

Stanstead Abbotts. See my profile for email address / tel no.

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
on Wednesday evening 9th January chez nous:

"Britain's Biggest House Price Falls:

ITV 1

Investigation into the current downturn in Britain's housing market, revealing the areas of the country worst affected and asking not just who stands to lose out, but who stands to benefit from the slump"

Er, I can guarantee this will be HPC friendly... :lol:;)

Stanstead Abbotts. See my profile for email address / tel no.

Hi FP,

Very tempting offer alas I will be in the Manchester area for work and staying over night, I am renting just round the corner from you in Broxbourne.

Reading through your other posts you mentioned of a EA closing in Hoddesdon, which one was it??

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
I noticed today that our Bairstow Eves in Bicester as closed down. Notice in window saying that other branches are unaffected and business is moved to EA Buckell and Ballards just up the road.

The exact same for Bairstow Eves in Hoddesdon, office in next town (Cheshunt) is business as usual.

I believe this particular EA is owned by Countrywide, the same Countrywide that is currently going through the mangle in the US at the mo.

Edited by Show me the Money!

HOLA446
The exact same for Bairstow Eves in Hoddesdon, office in next town (Cheshunt) is business as usual.

I believe this particular EA is owned by Countrywide, the same Countrywide that is currently going through the mangle in the US at the mo.

Er, I just wrote about BE in Hoddesdon. Also UK Countrywide has nothing to do wh US Countrywide - which is like Northern Rock. Of course, both C/wides are in the briwn stuff - to their necks.

HOLA447

nearest estate agent to my current bolthole has closed since the New Year. They were situated on Enfield Highway, expensive refurb only a couple of months ago.

Across the road, the other EA is now doing a 0.75% special offer.

Luvly jubbly. :lol:

HOLA448

Hey! Good to see that FP has resurrected the East Herts thread, which disappeared at the end of last year.

Do any of you guys know of some good housing auctions in the area?

Is this where you intend to go to pick up some real bargains in the future?

Edited by DoctorJ

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA449
Do any of you guys know of some good housing auctions in the area?

Is this where you intend to go to pick up some real bargains in the future?

Yes and yes

http://www.propertyauctionaction.co.uk/

http://www.south-east-auctions.co.uk/

http://www.allsop.co.uk/

Hey FP, I didn't know Bas tard theives closed in Hoddesdon - there was one is the Harvey centre in Harlow closed too - no forwarding info nothing just upped and gone....

• 3 weeks later...
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

So, we're well into February and the biggest and most productive time for proeprty sales... So, how come the Mercury property ads have so many 'No Chains' and 'Reduceds'..?

Can't imagine.

One lovely sight was the ad for a huge 6 bed semi in Broxbourne which has been on the market for 2 YEARS!!!. It's always been priced at 725 or 750, depending who was advertising.

Well, now it's 700 (less a fiver). Those 'sellers' are making their move - as we said they would all along.

Also, I note all the LAs are offering big discounts on charges ot LLs.

Also, I have heard that a pure LA is getting into sales - as all his LLs are trying to sell up... :lol:

No names no pack drill. You ain't seen me roight.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
One lovely sight was the ad for a huge 6 bed semi in Broxbourne which has been on the market for 2 YEARS!!!. It's always been priced at 725 or 750, depending who was advertising.

Well, now it's 700 (less a fiver). Those 'sellers' are making their move - as we said they would all along.

After 2 years, the owner has finally realised that s/he will never get that price and has started to reduce. This will be the case for most/all long term sellers and will drive prices down.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
After 2 years, the owner has finally realised that s/he will never get that price and has started to reduce. This will be the case for most/all long term sellers and will drive prices down.

I must say I did notice there was sooooo much property in the Mercury in EN10/EN11 at the moment that is just not shifting or coming back on onto the market as the sale has fallen through.

Anyone else notice the new builds next door to Broxbourne station, prices go up to £575,000 four bed with no garden!!!

HOLA4416
Anyone else notice the new builds next door to Broxbourne station, prices go up to £575,000 four bed with no garden!!!

I'll give Kirsty Allsopp a frenchie if they achieve that!

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
Hertfordshire

Average Cost: £297,816

Detached: £558,087

Semi-detached: £317,195

Terraced: £249,085

Flat: £191,072

Change in last quarter: -3.7%

Change in last year: 8.2%

Sales: 5739

Herts data from LR report posted by RB in the main room. Makes interesting reading.

It seems that some regions in Herts are up, but some are down. The overall figure of -3.2% is skewed somewhat due to a 19% drop in Three Rivers.

I hope to see more drops in the near future.

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4420

Here in Sawbridgeworth I am seeing minimal falls (5k on 200-250k props.) on Property Bee - but nothing is moving (in the selling sense), especially the flats in The Maltings (nice as they are).

Given that it's 40mins from Liverpool Street, I'll be surprised if they lose more than 20% around here, but I'll be very happy to be proved wrong.. ;)

As for Bishops Stortford & Harlow (FFS :ph34r: ), I can definitely see 30-40% drops around these areas at the bottom.

gb

HOLA4421

Same here (Stanstead Abbotts) no drops of any significance and the white sock brigade are still marketing 4 bed shoeboxes for 485k and one bed newbuild shoeboxes for just under 200k.

Although there was one drop of 25k which then sold, so someone got a 2 bed cottage on a main road with no parking for the bargain price of a quarter Mil.

It has been laminated too, lucky people.

HOLA4422

I'm just going to bump this as its good to see a Herts thread up and running again. My old one seems to have disappeared with the server update at the end of last year.

I have to admit that I haven't been keeping a close eye on selling prices in the area - I'm in Ware/Hertford. But rental prices are steady with some pressure on the downside. 2 bed flat rentals were averaging 750/month recently but have noticed a lot more at 650 recently.

I do have anecdotal evidence (from someone who had trouble completing a chain) from B.Stortford that prices are dropping by around 5% so far. Its not much but its a start.

HOLA4423

OUCH!! 20.5k off in Sawbridgeworth - rubbing my eyes at this...(thanks PropertyBee ;) )

13rd Mar 2008 22:51:15

Price changed: from '£249,995' to '£229,500'

22nd Feb 2008 19:06:51

Price found: £249,995

Title found: Church Walk, SAWBRIDGEWORTH, Hertfordshire

Subtitle found: 2 bedroom flat

Brief Description found: We are delighted to offer this 2 DOUBLE BEDROOM 1970's built first floor DETACHED maisonette situated in a private road within walking distance of Sawbridgeworth railway station with access to Liverpo...

EDIT - FECK ME, it's listed on the following page as 214k! :lol:35k OFF!!

Edited by garybug

HOLA4424
OUCH!! 20.5k off in Sawbridgeworth - rubbing my eyes at this...(thanks PropertyBee ;) )

EDIT - FECK ME, it's listed on the following page as 214k! :lol:35k OFF!!

Bring it on!!!!!!!

HOLA4425
Bring it on!!!!!!!

Part of me thinks it was mispriced at 250k (although it is a nice place in a nice spot), so 229k seems more likely - still even then it's 15k off.

Also 'vacant possesion' - in a rush to sell are we? :P