House Price Crash Forum

Santander, Grrrrr

Monkey

HOLA441

I'm going to be buying a car, and i need cash, not much £1600 - so i transferred the money from my E savings to my current account, so i could take the cash out.

walked into the branch, went up to counter and the conversation went like this:

me: Hi, i would like to take £1600 out of this account *hands card over*

them: have you got an appointment?

Me: ?? no

them: so you havent booked to take the cash out?

Me: no

them: we cant give you the money, you need to book 48 hours inadvance to take out anything over £500

me: what? i have not heard this, so your telling me i cant have my money then?

Them: yes, we need advanced waring to make sure we have the cash in branch

Me: for £1600, its not like i'm taking out £16,000, i could understand then, but its not alot of money in the grand scheme

a manager walks over, and ask's whats the problem

Me: i want ot take out my money, but as i havent book, so i have just been told i cant - so what are you going to do?

the manager looks in the till/cash register and said "i'll let you do it this time, but next time you'll have to book"

i was then met with a barage ofpointless "security" questions, including "what are you using it for" etc

but i find that a bit strange, you have to book to takeo ut more than £500.

this is part of a long list of "issues" i have with Santander, and add's to the reasons for leaving

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

I'm going to be buying a car, and i need cash, not much £1600 - so i transferred the money from my E savings to my current account, so i could take the cash out.

them: we cant give you the money, you need to book 48 hours inadvance to take out anything over £500

Me: for £1600, its not like i'm taking out £16,000, i could understand then, but its not alot of money in the grand scheme

Me: i want ot take out my money, but as i havent book, so i have just been told i cant - so what are you going to do?

the manager looks in the till/cash register and said "i'll let you do it this time, but next time you'll have to book"

i was then met with a barage ofpointless "security" questions, including "what are you using it for" etc

this is part of a long list of "issues" i have with Santander, and add's to the reasons for leaving

They are all the same. Couldn't take £1000 out of Halifax some time ago. Had to convince them like you did. They said it would have to be a one off too.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

I had the same situation withdrawing £4000 from Natwest. The main branch in the City as well!

Teller: "Sorry you cannot withdraw that amount without an appointment and your passport".

Me: Really??? I've banked with you since I was 5 years old and you were dishing out the porcelain piggies. You didn't ask for my passport when I was depositing a similar amount a few weeks ago. Anyway I haven't got time to argue, I'll be back in 30mins with my passport, setup the 'appointment'.

If I didn't know better I'd say they were just stalling for time to have a quick whip-round.

HOLA448
HOLA449

Oh dear, sounds like the cupboard is bare at your bank. I'd be worried personally. Certainly think about not having more than £500 in your account there. I'd also be tempted to run a credit check on them :lol::lol::lol:

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

But if everyone asks for their money they don't have it..........oops, cats out of the bag!

the Tin Foil Hattist in me says that this proceedure is to slow/stop the possiblilty of bank run before its started. but it doesnt stop people moving money electronically - which i am not sure how that will effect the bank

HOLA4412

the Tin Foil Hattist in me says that this proceedure is to slow/stop the possiblilty of bank run before its started. but it doesnt stop people moving money electronically - which i am not sure how that will effect the bank

You will never get you're money out in the event of a bank run. By the time you know there is a run on its too late. (unless you've only got <£1000)

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Got a feeling all RBS's small business accounts are going to Santander under some EU competition thing.

I'm not sure about them not having the cash because I've always found they can scrape together enough - then dispensed in awkward silence after I've had to ring my bank manager to get them to do it.

Would guess quite a lot of cash taken out to buy cars etc. privately never makes it back into a bank account. Perhaps if they offered a decent rate of interest...

HOLA4415

But if everyone asks for their money they don't have it..........oops, cats out of the bag!

It certainly won't look good on their credit rating if people keep having to phone up the rating agencies (preferably whilst in the branch foyet) to see if they are good for more than £500

HOLA4416

I took £3,500 out of HSBC a while back, they told me to write out a cheque to Cash, and wanted some photo ID, but gave me the money no trouble. I asked the guy what the limit was on withdrawals and he said there was no limit as such, I could have as much as I wanted as long as they had the money In branch. I live fairly centrally so it's a busy branch, which may be what makes the difference.

HOLA4417
Guest tbatst2000

Santander definitely suck big time - it took me several days of being given the run around to close an account at A&L after they took over. I would certainly never use them again. I think the difficulty of getting your cash out is something common to all banks and is a combination of ludicrously over cautious interpretation of the money laundering and terrorist financing regulations, crass marketing (they want to know what the money is for so they can try and sell you stuff on the back of it) and a genuine desire to keep around as little cash as possible (it's hard to handle, needs to be guarded and earns 0% interest).

HOLA4418

I took £3,500 out of HSBC a while back, they told me to write out a cheque to Cash, and wanted some photo ID, but gave me the money no trouble. I asked the guy what the limit was on withdrawals and he said there was no limit as such, I could have as much as I wanted as long as they had the money In branch. I live fairly centrally so it's a busy branch, which may be what makes the difference.

its a Santander policy, and i went ot the biggest most central branch in Southampton.

i have never had issue with taking money out in HSBC like this, the only issue i had/have is they wont open the counters on Saturdays, so i cant get large amounts of cash if i needed too.

i can talk to 20 different HSBC advisors, but not one of them can give me more than £500 in cash

HOLA4419

Oh dear, sounds like the cupboard is bare at your bank. I'd be worried personally. Certainly think about not having more than £500 in your account there. I'd also be tempted to run a credit check on them :lol::lol::lol:

Tell them you'll print your own next time..just like the Bank of England...BANKS ....make me LMFAO

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

I drew £15K out of Barclays a few years ago. They asked for 24 hours to get the cash in the £50 notes I requested. When I picked it up they asked what it was for and I said that I was concerned about bank runs and wanted a cash buffer. The cashier smiled in a "don't blame you" sort of way.

Regarding Santander, I've never had a problem transferring money out but as I don't have a current account with them I've never drawn cash.

HOLA4422

Bank credit (which is what you have when you have a positive account balance) is not the same thing as having actual money.

Normally it isn't apparent as you'll be calling in the credit in small amounts (i.e. using the ATM machine for £50, say) or just transferring bank credit to another person's/business' account to pay for things so the bank will facilitate the illusion of it holding your money for you which it gives back immediately on demand. But when you want to realise any sort of large-ish sum of actual money out of what the bank owes you, then the difference starts to become clear as you have just found out.

It'll be clearer still in the event of another banking crisis and the resulting bank runs ...

Don't worry, there's an ongoing agenda from the government and the banks to get rid of cash and make everyone use only bank credit instead. Then actually having our own money won't be an issue, we'll all be at the mercy of bank promises and they'll be free to more or less do whatever they want with the entire productive capacity of the nation. A comforting thought ...

HOLA4423

its a Santander policy, and i went ot the biggest most central branch in Southampton.

i have never had issue with taking money out in HSBC like this, the only issue i had/have is they wont open the counters on Saturdays, so i cant get large amounts of cash if i needed too.

i can talk to 20 different HSBC advisors, but not one of them can give me more than £500 in cash

Yeah the Saturday things a pain. It can be a good idea to have more than one bank account, then you get two (or more) daily withdrawal limits at the ATM. Also if there are problems with one of your accounts (or banks!) you've got a fall back position.

HOLA4424

Yeah the Saturday things a pain. It can be a good idea to have more than one bank account, then you get two (or more) daily withdrawal limits at the ATM. Also if there are problems with one of your accounts (or banks!) you've got a fall back position.

oh have a few separate accounts with different banks, this was mainly to safeguard myself from 1 bank having control of everything and crippling me for it.

take nationwide for instance, when i was in financial difficulty i had a loan with them, but in my G/F's name - her current account was linked to the loan. i had a debt management company manage my debts which nationwide's loan was a small part of.

they agreed in writing with my debt management company i would pay £119pcm (including 6% interest) to them to clear the debt (lower than the agreed term by my G/F a few years before)

after 2.5 years of paying this, Nationwide wrote to my G/F demanding full settlement of the loan, i passed the letters on to the debt mgnt Co. and they advised me that it was just posturing and threats, 5 months later they froze my G/F current account the day after she got paid, we found out when she tried to take money out of a cash point. when she contacted the bank they said they have seized the money to pay off the loan, and will do the same next month untill the balance is 100% cleared.

luckliy for mt my debt mngt Co. was on the ball and got their legal team involved, with in 4 hours all was back to normal.

this opened my eyes to what they are capable of doing, so i get paid in to HSBC, our joint bills account in with Santander, my G/F gets paid into Lloyds, we have various savings dotted between them, as well as LLoyds etc.

HOLA4425

Archived