House Price Crash Forum

Gold Vigilantes, All Required, No Ebay Scams

HOLA441

They are worthless crap, and they sell on the back of real silver and peoples ignorance.. <_<

I see some idiot paid £16 for it, £20 with postage. One born every minute over on the bay.

So having 'saved' 50% on the price of the real thing this joker ends up with a few % of silver and 95ish % of junk metal.

Still if Silver does indeed hit $500 an ounce he may be able to recoup his money :lol:

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

I see some idiot paid £16 for it, £20 with postage. One born every minute over on the bay.

So having 'saved' 50% on the price of the real thing this joker ends up with a few % of silver and 95ish % of junk metal.

Still if Silver does indeed hit $500 an ounce he may be able to recoup his money :lol:

Well I've suggested if you can't buy any of the PMs an alternative is to change all your cash into 5p or 10p coins. When, note the WHEN not IF When the hyperinflation comes the steel in the coins will be worth more than the face value of the coins.

The same can't be said for paper.

HOLA443

Well I've suggested if you can't buy any of the PMs an alternative is to change all your cash into 5p or 10p coins. When, note the WHEN not IF When the hyperinflation comes the steel in the coins will be worth more than the face value of the coins.

The same can't be said for paper.

All Gentlemen can afford Silver, Gold on the other hand is reserved for Kings, or at least it will be if the sucker keeps going up :)

I thought the pre-1992 copper 1p & 2p coins where the best bet? Sure the copper content in these is already worth twice the face value. Should really start accumulating some of these myself.

Agree about paper, the only paper worth investing in is loo roll as people will quickly tire of old newspapers and leaves when TSHTF :lol:

HOLA444

ebay's always had these reproductions in the bullion section. They're just a way of misleading people who don't read the listing carefully enough.

What unit is a "mill" if it's millimetres then 100 is very thick plating!

I can only assume it means microns/micrometres or 1/1000 mm - in which case the plating is, ummmm, 1 tenth of a mm? that sounds the right ball park for silver plating. Baldly saying '0.1mm silver plate' rather than 'layered' would obviously alert 99% of potential buyers to the scam though.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

This one smells funny, in his feedback you can see that he has been buying copies, who has krugs and buys fakes?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1982-22k-gold-krugerrand-/280711697660?pt=UK_Coins_Bullion_Bars_SM&hash=item415bb894fc#ht_500wt_1156

Just looked at that copy one from his feedback, god do they look like shit, exact replica my ass. The one in the listing looks real but this photo could well be from another listing. The one day auction and list of dodgy payment methods stinks to high heaven. It would be cash on collection only for me to buy from this guy. On a positive note he's had recent sales so the account doesn't instantly look like a hijacking, the one day listing is a real red flag though.

Edited by MrFlibble

HOLA448
HOLA449

Just looked at that copy one from his feedback, god do they look like shit, exact replica my ass. The one in the listing looks real but this photo could well be from another listing. The one day auction and list of dodgy payment methods stinks to high heaven. It would be cash on collection only for me to buy from this guy. On a positive note he's had recent sales so the account doesn't instantly look like a hijacking, the one day listing is a real red flag though.

Not that I would touch it but I wouldnt care what methods of payment he asks for, I would pay by paypoo with a credit card.

HOLA4410

We all see them, bent coins, cast sovs, chinese copies, assholes with father just died stories, coins that dont weight right etc etc

The more experience that you have dealing with gold and silver coins then the less likely that it is that you will accept a dudd.

If you have a coin that you arent sure about then post the pics here and I will let you know. I specialialise in sovs mostly but know most coins and know people that can spot anything.

MOST IMPORTANTLY IF YOU SPOT AN EBAY LISTING THAT IS NOT RIGHT THEN POST IT HERE..

IF YOU SEE CHINESE COINS WITH NO DENOMINATION THEN LIST THE ITEM NUMBER HERE

Be careful of slabbed coins, the chinese do a very good line in pcgs and ngc packs.

WHEN WE SEE SELLERS TAKING THE MICHAEL WITH DAFT PRICES THEN POST THE LISTING HERE SO THAT WE CAN ALL PASS COMMENT,

Lets take it to feebay and kill off the assholes and scammers.

Thanks for this thread, very interesting. You are pointing things out in the listings that I wouldn't of known about and it's always good to learn about things. Tell me though, do you actually report the items when you see dodgy looking items for sale?

HOLA4411

Thanks for this thread, very interesting. You are pointing things out in the listings that I wouldn't of known about and it's always good to learn about things. Tell me though, do you actually report the items when you see dodgy looking items for sale?

No point with eBay unless there is something very obvious in the listing that allows them to remove it. eBay's main listing removal interest is with people trying to circumvent their fee's. Trouble with the 1-day listings is by the time eBay take action the auction is over and the payment sent, leaving the buyer messing with a dispute for almost a month. Been there, done it...

HOLA4412

yep, I still report fakes and scams but the listings are never ended or cancelled anymore like they used to be. Usually the listing is left to completion and some time later I get a mail from feebay thanking me for making a report. I dont know if they cancel the sale or warn the buyer but doubt it.

When you could see the details of the winning bidder in the past I used to mail them and tell them directly but feebay now hide bidders id, probably because people like me were costing them too much money.

HOLA4413

Yes, that one would ring alarm bells all over. Only 18 dodgy feedbacks, account under a year old, etc. I'd pass - there are other places much more legit to buy a krug for £1k.

HOLA4414

Yes, that one would ring alarm bells all over. Only 18 dodgy feedbacks, account under a year old, etc. I'd pass - there are other places much more legit to buy a krug for £1k.

Yep, the account may be live but the fb has been gained quickly and only from selling shit. There is no history of selling gold and that is what you want to see....either a history of selling gold/silver or a history of buying a lot of it that is available for resale.

When some fool builds up 50 fb selling pencils or some shit and then starts listing krugs and sovs then the alarm bells should make your ears bleed.

HOLA4415

These look to be a good buy for anyone local to the seller:-

£1000 each for 6 Australian Nugget

This is the style of eBay selling I've been saying about for a while, use eBay to advertise and then do a private deal for cash. This guy could well be one of us.

Cannot imagine these will last long at that price. BTW I have not screened this seller just posting as an example, eBay will no doubt pull the listing due to the bypassing of PayPal.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

This one smells funny, in his feedback you can see that he has been buying copies, who has krugs and buys fakes?

Would these be the kind of fake that have "COPY" on them? Pretty useless fakes for scammers / other purposes.

And there are at least two good reasons for buying fakes. One is to become familiar with what is circulating. The other ... well, let's not talk too much about this. The walls have ears, if you get my drift. I'm going to give you an example of the *kind* of thing I'm thinking about. Please use your imagination to extrapolate and refrain from elucidation.

Let's say your postie is a bit bent and knows somebody who is really bent. He recognizes the weight and sender's address of parcels you have been receiving and advises his really bent mate that you are in receipt of PMs. His bent mate arrives in the night and, equiped with a ball gag and secateurs, offers to leave your wife's fingers attached to her hands in exchange for details of the whereabouts of your stash. After some convincing denials, you relent and offer him the location and combination to your "safe". Your wife gets to keep her digits and he departs a happy bunny. Now you have two equally attractive choices. You either tell the local coppers to be on the look out for smart-water tagged fakes, taken from you by an armed robber, or inform you insurance company of your "loss". This latter option is well dodgy, but does serve an alternative "proper" purpose: the same purpose to which this example eludes (and no, I'm not talking about insurance fraud - that would clearly be improper*). The least said about that the better.

* - note my use of the terms "proper" and "improper", as opposed to "legal" and illegal"

Edited by Sledgehead

HOLA4419

Would these be the kind of fake thta has "COPY" on them? Pretty useless fakes for scammers / other purposes.

And there are at least two good reasons for buying fakes. One is to become familiar with what is circulating. The other ... well, let's not talk too much about this. The walls have ears, if you get my drift. I'm going to give you an example of the *kind* of thing I'm thinking about. Please use your imagination to extrapolate and refrain from elucidation.

No, they arent the ones with "copy" stamped on them.

I dont see any point in buying fakes at all tbh unless they are for scamming.

You get familiar with coins by handling them and this should alone help you spot a fake, I dont see that buying fakes will be as much help as it is a waste of money. If you can get a cast sov or a 9ct one at spot then it isnt a waste and is good to see and have.

Keeping fakes in a safe to fool burglars also has risks. If you are worried about things like bent posties, burglars or paper trails then you can eliminate that risk by doing what I do - get things delivered to your in laws :D

HOLA4420
  • 2 weeks later...
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Why?

Here

From the auction ad

'how it works: Click buy it now and I'll post out a physical paper contract like the one below to you 1st class.

To use the terms used in the financial markets, whenever you wish, you can 'call' this 'option' - and I will fulfil the contract. This means you then pay the London Gold Fix price for that morning plus my small premium. You're welcome to either collect in person, or pay minimal postage costs. As soon as the money has cleared I'll post them out'.

Maybe I'm being simple but I don't see the point from the buyer's perspective. The buyer pays £1.68 (inc postage) to have the option to pay 15% above spot for a sovereign at a time of his/her choosing some time in the next 90 days.

Edited to clarify - it appears that the price is 15% above spot on the day you exercise the call, not 15% above spot on the day you take out the option. That may be just my poor interpretation of the sellers intentions.

Edited by LeeT

HOLA4424

Why?

Here

From the auction ad

'how it works: Click buy it now and I'll post out a physical paper contract like the one below to you 1st class.

To use the terms used in the financial markets, whenever you wish, you can 'call' this 'option' - and I will fulfil the contract. This means you then pay the London Gold Fix price for that morning plus my small premium. You're welcome to either collect in person, or pay minimal postage costs. As soon as the money has cleared I'll post them out'.

Maybe I'm being simple but I don't see the point from the buyer's perspective. The buyer pays £1.68 (inc postage) to have the option to pay 15% above spot for a sovereign at a time of his/her choosing some time in the next 90 days.

Edited to clarify - it appears that the price is 15% above spot on the day you exercise the call, not 15% above spot on the day you take out the option. That may be just my poor interpretation of the sellers intentions.

I read that as buying an option to pay spot plus 15% for a coin in unknown condition anytime that you decide to cough up a 15% premium anytime within the next 90 days.

Seems pretty scammy to me and the only thing that surprises me is that 10 dim bulbs have already bought it.

Maybe I should just go with the flow, turn to the dark side and rip off idiots.......there does seem to be an endless supply over here.

HOLA4425

Why?

Here

I came across this person a few years back on eBay and nearly got ripped myself, she is mentioned over at TaxFreeGold.

Check out the ID history:-

brightongold - 03-Feb-09 - Present

cherry334455 - 21-Nov-08 - 03-Feb-09

bargains2009 - 31-Jan-08 - 21-Nov-08

cherry4334 - 01-Dec-05 - 31-Jan-08

None of those where the Seller I dealt with either so she must have multiple eBay accounts.

Edited to add: Another account of hers...

3 x 1 oz SOUTH AFRICA GOLD PROOF KRUGERRANDS

More different ID's:-

coins.sovereigns - 25-Feb-09 - Present

audrey31002009 - 16-Jun-08 - 25-Feb-09

And still not the ID I dealt with, must have at least 3 accounts.

Edited by MrFlibble