House Price Crash Forum

The Wail Manage To Crowbar Pwoperty Piece In Titanic Article

HOLA441

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2130009/Titanic-memorial-Cruise-passengers-mark-100-years-tragedy-spot-ship-went-down.html

The house where Titanic captain Edward John Smith was born is up for sale at a bargain price. The skipper of the ill-fated liner grew up in the two-bed Victorian terrace in Well Street, Hanley, Staffordshire, which is now on the market for £80,000. The history of the humble home attracted the current owners to buy it 10 years ago and now they hope to pass it on to a historical custodian who can make the most of its past. Neil and Louise Bonner snapped the house up for less than £50,000 as an investment and rented it out. But now on the 100th anniversary of the Titanic tragedy, they have put it on the market.

Mr Bonner, 64, who is a journalist said: 'It's been fascinating to have had a connection to the Titanic story. It's certainly provided an interesting talking point over the years.' The couple from Stafford are hoping to capitalise on the interest in the centenary year of the loss of the passenger liner which collided with an iceberg and sank off the coast of Newfoundland.

More than 1,500 people including Captain Edward John Smith died in the 1912 tragedy. He and his pottery worker parents are believed to have lived in the house for more than a decade. He worked at a local steelmaker before heading off to sea aged 13, where he progressed from ship's boy to captain. Mrs Bonner, 60, who is a retired university lecturer, said: 'It's hard to understand what motivated him to go to sea.He came from a typical working class Potteries family and he went on to achieve so much.

'The house has already attracted interest from Germany and America.'

Estate agent Tabatha Cartlidge said: 'The history of this property is likely to be the draw for potential buyers. We anticipate it may attract interest from across the world.'

I await the puns...

Edited by Dave Beans

HOLA442

No puns from me I'm afraid,

The guy was supposed to be a professional skipper so he would hardly have spent much time at home right?

I don't see it in the same league of say, Wordsworth or that of Beatrix Potter.

What sort of price would Hitlers gaff make?

Edit - I love this bit

He came from a typical working class Potteries family and he went on to achieve so much.
Edited by Son of Taeper

HOLA443
HOLA444

Last time I was in Hanley I was strolling down the street, when behind me I heard a bog barking. Turned around to discover it was actually a scary looking chap. Carried on walking, only quicker.

Edited by jammo

HOLA445

The reason Smith was chosen to be the captain of the Titanic for its maiden voyage was because he had never made a major mistake throughout his entire career, literally smooth sailing in calm seas.

This unfortunately led to the problem of him never having to deal with a real life-or-death crisis. Who knows what difference a less lucky, more accident-prone captain could have made?

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448