House Price Crash Forum

Parking Crosses Pavement, Missing Bollard

HOLA441

About to get offer accepted on a terraced house. There is concreted area infront of house that has been used for years for parking car. It requires crossing pavement. The pavement height has low, as it is all along this area as there is a laundrette next door which also has low pavement for vehicular access.

There is a lamp post sited on pavement infront of next door (laundrette) and each side of lamp post there are bollards, running parallel with the pavement. There were originally two metal bollards either side of lamp post but one has been removed from infront of the house I am interested in at some stage due to it obstructing access to parking area.

I am concerned that bollard may have been removed without concil's consent. But maybe the council removed it themselves as it has been filled in with tarmac, usuallly only councils and roadworkers have tarmac handy.

I have asked EA to see if seller has any paperwork surrounding bollards removal process. If it has not been done legitimately then it could be reinstated and house loses parking spot wiping £££'s off resale value.

I have though of phoning council but don't want them to take issue with parking spot unnecessarily and spoil the sale.

Any one had any similar dilemma? Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated!

BTW, what about living next to laundrette? Fine I think but if business type changes could it become a nuisance?

*** PIC ATTACHED ***

house.jpg

post-36705-0-10815200-1406125377_thumb.jpg

HOLA442

I would have thought the bollard was put there to stop cars parking half way on the road and the pavement - even though it's double yellow lines.

Does the boundary of the property extend to the kerb? I would worry that the land in front of the house is pavement that belongs to the council.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

I recall it can be really expensive!

Checked out yorkshire and:

http://www.northyorks.gov.uk/article/25303/Vehicle-access---kerbs-dropped-kerbs

The application fee, if you have planning permission, is £96. If you don't have permission, it's £149. Work to drop a typical kerb by a contractor costs between £800 and £1,000.

May be more or less in other parts of the UK.

HOLA447
HOLA448

I was always under the impression (I could be wrong!) that double yellow lines extend onto the pavement and any verges, etc. to stop this exact issue arising. So, if this is correct, although you are not on the line itself it would/could be a parking violation.

Also, the council can tell you the exact situation, saving you time and possibly money further down the line, but you say you don't want to draw their attention to this? Isn't that the exact thing you're trying to find out?