House Price Crash Forum

Brighton Area

HOLA441
That is very good news about flats. That is a BIG increase!

My search for 3 bedroom houses has now ticked up to 10 pages on rightmove.Nothing seems to be selling. Seeing a few starting to drop their asking price a few thousand. Also interestingly I have also seen some properties that were sold about three months back coming back onto the market. There are alot more goin to auction. I expect to see this increase over the next 3 months.

Anyone spoke to any EA's recently?

Hi Equitystasher. Had a lot to do with EA's the last year so now tend to stay as far away as possible, however was tempted to call in one a few weeks ago. He was chomping at the bit to get my details. In the end said I wouldn't be buying until next year as the market was so uncertain. I'm sure there was a look of fear on his face :lol: The property I was curious about seafront flat, I reckon it's £200000 more now than it would have been 2005. The owner is probably another chancer who's lobbed an extra £100000 on it because he thinks some moron from London will come along. The layout was rubbish, only one room looked out on to front and it needed tlc :lol: Do know a couple of agents but need to bump into them in an out of work situation, the minute they think I'm buying I will get the same old spiel.

My advice sit back and watch and wait.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
Hi Equitystasher. Had a lot to do with EA's the last year so now tend to stay as far away as possible, however was tempted to call in one a few weeks ago. He was chomping at the bit to get my details. In the end said I wouldn't be buying until next year as the market was so uncertain. I'm sure there was a look of fear on his face :lol: The property I was curious about seafront flat, I reckon it's £200000 more now than it would have been 2005. The owner is probably another chancer who's lobbed an extra £100000 on it because he thinks some moron from London will come along. The layout was rubbish, only one room looked out on to front and it needed tlc :lol: Do know a couple of agents but need to bump into them in an out of work situation, the minute they think I'm buying I will get the same old spiel.

My advice sit back and watch and wait.

I must admit that walking down the Lewes road I have a tendancy to look in and see what the EA's are upto. I have found some shut early and even on Saturdays they don't seem to be doing much.

If I was in the business i would be doing all I can to talk the vendors down to get sales completed but then again I suppose most of them would not know how to do that or actually sell a house. From what you say it sounds like EA' are quite closed circle even if you know them outside work.

HOLA444
That is very good news about flats. That is a BIG increase!

My search for 3 bedroom houses has now ticked up to 10 pages on rightmove.Nothing seems to be selling. Seeing a few starting to drop their asking price a few thousand. Also interestingly I have also seen some properties that were sold about three months back coming back onto the market. There are alot more goin to auction. I expect to see this increase over the next 3 months.

Anyone spoke to any EA's recently?

Flats now up to 879 ho hum

found the same thing with properties going under offer

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-146...=1&tr_t=buy

NOW

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-901...=1&tr_t=buy

THAT IS A HUGE DROP

there are some flats at the £100k ish mark that have been on and off constantly over the last 10 months or so.

Estate agents have had a dead July and August and september is even worse. I deal with them a lot and other mortgage brokers and it is game over at the moment.

HOLA445
HOLA446
Prices still mad & stupid in East Brighton:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-147...=3&tr_t=buy

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-943...=3&tr_t=buy

The first one has been stuck for ages, though.

Dont you just hate the way they all smack of someone doing it up for a quick profit. All streamlined. I could screeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaam :angry: I've just been on rightmove having a laugh at flats in Hove same price bracket (sorry dont know how to do the link) hardly any furniture no kitchen clutter etc etc

Anyone who buys at that price needs their head tested. If you borrowed £300k what sort of mortgage would you be looking at? I wonder if they all get IO mortgages and what sort of salaries they earn. Is everyone in Brighton and Hove on the train to London to earn the sort of money you would need to buy the overpriced tosh :angry: Rant over I'll go and have a lie down.

HOLA447

NOW

THAT IS A HUGE DROP

there are some flats at the £100k ish mark that have been on and off constantly over the last 10 months or so.

Estate agents have had a dead July and August and september is even worse. I deal with them a lot and other mortgage brokers and it is game over at the moment.

One of them is in Oriental Place..dodgy, to say the least

HOLA448

New here so hope that this post works :rolleyes:

Brighton has a very long history of boom and bust, dating back to the 1820's when the Prince Regent chose to build his holiday home there.

http://www.royalpavilion.org.uk/

If you can find the early history of Sussex Square and Lewes Crescent you will find the first example of Brighton boom and bust.

It has always been influenced by London, and in the 1980's property profits from Docklands made their way to Brighton. The ill fated Brighton Marina of the 80's evidenced this.

The advanced warning of the ending of MIRAS led to a situation where people were so keen to get on the market that they were buying properties unseen. The boom turned to bust in the early 90's.

History will be repeating itself with the 2008 Brighton property crash.

HOLA449

NOW

THAT IS A HUGE DROP

Where do you get the amount of properties for sale on rightmove? It just ssya over 100 properties available when i do my search. Would be nice to keep count.

So how long till 879 turns into 1000 do you think :rolleyes:

HOLA4410
Where do you get the amount of properties for sale on rightmove? It just ssya over 100 properties available when i do my search. Would be nice to keep count.

It always says over 100 properties so as not to frighten people with reality. Just put in no minimum and no maximum, no preference and include STC, then keep on counting. How about I do the BN3 area and maybe some others could do BN1 BN2 and BN41 (Portslade), then we could get a really good idea how much the supply is.

I've calmed down now. I dont usually look at the 300 to 350 price bracket and was really shocked at how little you get in return, also at how many have been tarted up you know cheap laminate flooring and howdens kitchens. At least in Yellercat's post they were in houses, I was looking at flats. It must be a final push by all the budding developers. The market isn't that big for overpriced yuppy flats. I will watch them very closely now.

By the way EA's aren't such a close circle, it depends on how much commission they can make out of you, and boy then do they spill the beans on one another ;)

HOLA4411
It always says over 100 properties so as not to frighten people with reality. Just put in no minimum and no maximum, no preference and include STC, then keep on counting. How about I do the BN3 area and maybe some others could do BN1 BN2 and BN41 (Portslade), then we could get a really good idea how much the supply is.

I've calmed down now. I dont usually look at the 300 to 350 price bracket and was really shocked at how little you get in return, also at how many have been tarted up you know cheap laminate flooring and howdens kitchens. At least in Yellercat's post they were in houses, I was looking at flats. It must be a final push by all the budding developers. The market isn't that big for overpriced yuppy flats. I will watch them very closely now.

By the way EA's aren't such a close circle, it depends on how much commission they can make out of you, and boy then do they spill the beans on one another ;)

I am a bit to lazy to do that :rolleyes: I am keeping a eye on my small search and will keep reporting any changes.

Still more houses being added daily.Working towrds 11 pages now. There is a trickle coming back on the market that sold ages ago. Suppose people are starting to get cold feet. :lol:

I also had a look at higher valued houses and I am amazed how much cr*p you get for a big jump in money.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
1,490 in BN2 including a few duplicates (4 entries for Fife House, Sussex Square).

Oh, and some 35K garages at the end! :P

Hove comes in at 1666

4 beds and more = 206

3 beds = 470

2 beds = 610

1 bed = 350

studios = 30

4 garages

2 beach huts

I can't get over the rubbish out there. I remember when a house in Woodland Drive was 200K and that was less than 10 years ago.

There is nothing wrong with the supply just the stupid prices.

House in Holland Road wins the prize for most EA's on at 569 dropped from 599 very worried developer hasn't even bothered with a stick of furniture, 9 AGENTS :lol:

By the way I like Firle House and if I had the money I would drive a hard bargain as it has been on the market for 2 years now.

HOLA4414

scroll down to the bottome of the page and you will see

pages 1-10 more properties

click on more properties and again and again etc. to get to the end and scroll back up and voila the number of properties.

now standing at 875

As I have said before the only properties I am interested in are flats under £250k as these are the FTB / BTL properties and will be the first to drop in price and increase in number.

HOLA4415

I just get this feeling that Brighton is teetering on the edge of a huge cliff.

I get a coffee now and again at Barneys on Western Road (Hove end) and over the past few years have sat there and watched a procession of 4x4's and convertibles with "property developers" in them pull up outside (parking on the double yellows) and sitting their chatting on their mobiles. Brighton is full to the brim with these people.

Anyway the other day I heard one of them on the table next to us talking on his phone to what I imagine was an estate agent. The conversation went something like this:

"You've got all three of them in your window now then..........well have you tried the seven dials branch.......well can you not put them up in that window..............well it isnt technically Seven Dials but you might catch some buyers up there........well I've done that on all three of them and if I go much lower I wont even break even......well its been 2 months.....well you told me that it wasn't a problem........Well this is the first i've heard about this.........I need to sell at least one of them to fund the current deal, you know that...........you know that wouldnt cover my repayments and I need to sell, renting them out isnt an option........well take the Stanley Road one down to £160k......at £155k I wont even cover costs........that was a one off but with all three like it I just cant take a hit on any of them....not an option.....LOOK RATHER THAN F@CKING AROUND WITH THAT OTHER SHIT YOU SHOULD BE CONCENTRATING ON MY DEALS, I'VE PUT A LOT OF FU@@ING MONEY IN YOUR POCKET OVER THE PAST TWO YEARS......well ok, just sort it out with these three flats otherwise i'm f@cked on the 1st Avenue deal. "

This guy looked so stressed it made me really enjoy my coffee that morning. I think the easy money has gone out of the market and without the quick sell a lot of these guys suddenly realise that they wont make as much as they imagine. Brighton is full of rented flats, most bought recently by London "investors" or bought and then flipped 6 weeks later. When 6 weeks suddenly becomes 12 then 16 then 30 and £30k profit becomes £20 then £10k these muppets will be looking to get their old "real" jobs back just as the recession hits and recruitment is frozen.

"Penny for an ex property developer Sir, Please Sir" "Didn't you used to be my Landlord?"

HOLA4416

Anyone taken a look at any of the Fox and Sons new Auction properties?

One Studio on there from last Auction which never sold, from my (limited) experience the prices used to go way over guide, but last auction quite a few were unsold and many went around guide.

I popped into their office to grab a list/catalogue and overheard a member of staff saying "I'm thinking we should drop the guide price to generate more interest." Sorry, didn't hear for which property.

I know it might be bad timing but I'm really keen to buy a One/Two bed flat to live in and renovate at the same time, as a hobby/project, anyone know of any good ones in Brighton/Hove?

Lived here for 9 years now on and off, seen the prices rise and rise! Already brought and sold one house (with friends so forced to sell), made a little bit so can't complain too much.

Edited by reserves

HOLA4417

One Studio on there from last Auction which never sold, from my (limited) experience the prices used to go way over guide, but last auction quite a few were unsold and many went around guide.

I popped into their office to grab a list/catalogue and overheard a member of staff saying "I'm thinking we should drop the guide price to generate more interest." Sorry, didn't hear for which property.

I know it might be bad timing but I'm really keen to buy a One/Two bed flat to live in and renovate at the same time, as a hobby/project, anyone know of any good ones in Brighton/Hove?

Lived here for 9 years now on and off, seen the prices rise and rise! Already brought and sold one house (with friends so forced to sell), made a little bit so can't complain too much.

My advice is certainly do not buy now. Give it 6 months and you'll be picking up 1 bed flats for £90k again. Just had a call from a desperate woman called Anne at Barrats. I went in to look at the new development at City Point called The Tower. Anyway took a look at a 2 bedroom showflat (this was about 4 months ago). It was tiny but Anne started telling me that 80% were sold and that they had one that had just come back on that was in a prime position (overlooking the beautiful London Road NCP). I could get this for £310k and it had wooden floors, granite worktops etc as upgrades which would be thrown in for free. I almost asked if they could triple the size of the flat to make it a livable environment for a rabbit. Instead I gave her my phone number and said I was interested but they were just too expensive for me.

Anyway Anne called me literally an hour ago and it appears that this flat is now available for £289k because it is one of the last few remaining. I told her that I was waiting for it to get much lower before I bought, possibly below the stamp duty threshold of £250k. She put me on hold and a minute later she told me that Barrats would be willing to pay the full stamp duty for me. I said I still thought it didnt represent a good deal and that if she could get it below £250k I would be interested. She has told me she will ring back this afternoon so I will keep you posted.

I would be so annoyed if I had bought one of these places for £310k+ and then I found out they were going for below £250k. I would imagine these will be worth around £150k in around a years time.

Brighton is so overpriced it is unreal. Even places that need doing up are going for 50-60% more than their estimated actual value in 2009. I am watching the Brighton market with interest and believe that it is now the beginning of the end. I think Brighton and Hastings are two places likely to drop the most in the UK, simply because of the numbers of flats that are £150k+ and are actually worth no more than £50k

HOLA4418

Thanks for the advice, I'm keeping an eye out too. I would be very surprised if one bed flats ever dropped under 100k, that's going back to about 2001.

Hope one day the place I pulled out of last minute in a Hove Mews (my dream place!) will go back down again, I pulled out at £172k, sold recently for over £400k!

Property price increases do not benefit anybody but the banks. How anyone living and working in Brighton/Hove can afford a place is beyond me, average wage of what £17k?

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
Thanks for the advice, I'm keeping an eye out too. I would be very surprised if one bed flats ever dropped under 100k, that's going back to about 2001.

You're kidding me aren't you?

I remember looking around properties in Brighton around 1997/98 and I had around £70k to spend. I was actually looking at buying TWO one bed flats and knocking them into one. I also looked at a terraced, 4 storey house on Robert Street in the North Laines which was on for £60k and hadnt had any viewers for months.

With £70k I strolled around Brightons Estate Agents like a King. I would have struggled to find a One bed flat for more than £70k. I would say average price was £45k - £50k.

Now I dont expect it to decrease to the pre boom levels of the Mid 90's but somewhere around £100k would IMO be a more than reasonable assumption (double the last post crash average)

This is what amuses me the most about people in Brighton, they have become a little desensitised to price. When you point out that for £300k you could have bought a hotel nevermind a 2 bed hamster hutch they dont believe you but I looked at a hotel on MArine Parade which was a 28 room hotel for £300k in 1998!!!!. People think £150k is a bargain for a small converted basement flat. It really is crazy time. Let me tell you straight even at £100k a one bedroom flat in Brighton is way way overpriced. Expect MASSIVE falls in the Brighton flat market.

HOLA4421

I am living in Brighton we sold our last place as we simply couldn't afford to keep it and had bought it simply to get my son into a decent school.Nightmare!We are renting now and need to buy soon as I have health issues and this rental is a rip off and freezing! I am wondering if xmas would be a good time for a cheeky offer.I have seen a maisonette but it is 275 but suits me in other ways because of the layout and my health.It isn't worth more than 220 imo but what would be a reasonable offer and how would |I go about negotiating this.

HOLA4422
I am living in Brighton we sold our last place as we simply couldn't afford to keep it and had bought it simply to get my son into a decent school.Nightmare!We are renting now and need to buy soon as I have health issues and this rental is a rip off and freezing! I am wondering if xmas would be a good time for a cheeky offer.I have seen a maisonette but it is 275 but suits me in other ways because of the layout and my health.It isn't worth more than 220 imo but what would be a reasonable offer and how would |I go about negotiating this.

If you think it's only worth £220k then why not offer that? Sometimes Estate Agents get moody, but what do you care about that?

If the vendor thinks it's worth £275 he/she'll say no, but in the back of their mind they will be thinking about it...

If it was me, I would say "I really like the property but in my view it's way way overpriced, please keep my number on file and call me if the property falls way below the stamp duty threshold, good day"

HOLA4423

Put in an offer for 220K and tell the agent thats the value you feel its worth in the current market afterall its only 20% below the offer price. Its a buyers market right now, even in Brighton, so go for it.

I grew up in Brighton and remember that the housing market on the south coast was toast for many years in the 1990's. Even with a bit of gentrification and the flood of London Media & Pink Pound money the basic economy in Brighton has not changed greatly since then - essentially poorly paid private sector employment (for example alot of the higher value jobs that were done at Amex have now been off-shored); the self-employed vulnerable to a finance sector downturn and public sector jobs in the hospitals and universities. House prices are out of synch and i would expect a quick adjustment back to 4 or 5 times wages (still high i know) not the current 8x9x 10x we currently have

HOLA4424

I am going to look at it again and then wait a few weeks and offer 220.I don't think prices can keep going here nothing is selling at all and everything is so over priced.I agree Brighton is heading for a big fall The wages just don't match the houses for rental or to buy.

HOLA4425

Only been to two auctions. First 10 years ago all the major players there and the last about 5 months ago what a difference, very quiet only amateur btl's with their builder in tow and only one player popped in. He drives around in a car with his name on the reg ;)

Agree with a lot of what Adi (sorry forget the rest of your name) says and people have become desensitised to prices in Brighton and Hove.

I would urge you to wait a while before you buy and to find a place that hasn't already been done up well that would mean you would have to hang around the EA's offices quite a bit :lol: