House Price Crash Forum

Liverpool House Prices 2012 Thread

HOLA441

Liverpool Council is now getting involved in a last ditch effort to keep the market afloat:

www.liverpool.gov.uk/news/details.aspx?id=213125

"Liverpool City Council will tackle this problem by underwriting ‘top-ups’ of up to 20 per cent on the loans so that buyers can obtain a 95 per cent mortgage on similar terms to a 75 per cent mortgage, but without the need to provide the large deposit usually required."

Basically underwriting mortgages with our council tax. :o

That really is terrible, time I wrote to Steve Rotheram MP.

There's a thread about Liverpool city centre flats on the main board, asking why £135k for one of the gazzilion of unsold city centre flats isn't fair value! After all it was reduced from post-city-of-culture madness asking price of £275k !

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
  • 1 month later...
HOLA445

Is there anywhere decent to buy in Liverpool city centre that hasn't,t been rendered unsaleable by the huge management fees....???

Virtually all developments in city centre are in administration and the management fees for many buildings mean that you would be mad to buy there unless you want to flush money down the toilet!! Beetham plaza - a 2 bed has fees of £300+a month plus up to £200 fOr council tax means you are looking at £500 monthly fees BEFORE a mortgage ...and you can never pay it off it only goes up! No wonder they can't sell anything there -a flat went to auction for £100k and still didn't sell. Tower building, the Albany and unity all very high fees. Agents try to create illusion of restricted supply by only dumping a few flats on the market at a time but in reality there are dozens of unsold flats in most developments including one park west. Prices here are prob 40% too high and resellers are taking a bath on what they paid even 2 years ago! Show flats are up priced by hundreds of thousands for a bit of furniture worth prob £10k!!! Get real!

Mann island - Trapped by them if you want to rent out and much of the rope walks area is shared equity properties which are very hard to shift on as you have a restricted resale market to first timers only.

You need to do some serious research yourself if you want to buy in lpool - agents never give you the true picture and it is probably a cert that unless you get a rock bottom price you are looking at losing money. Am constantly amazed at people offering close to asking prices with one agent when there are flats in same building at half the price - can only presume a fool and his money......... There are two agents to avoid like the plague as up price all properties,

Can anyone point to a decent property with reasonable fees 2 bed?

HOLA446

Is there anywhere decent to buy in Liverpool city centre that hasn't,t been rendered unsaleable by the huge management fees....???

I gave up looking for decent flats at 'reasonable' prices in Liverpool City Centre. About the best I could find are all shared ownership, but if you want to get on the property ladder they seem to be your only chance.

I would recommend slightly north of the City Centre, preferably around the 'financial district' i.e. Chapel Street and Leeds Street but be wary as there may be a massive development north of the city with the new cruise terminal in the coming years.

I have just had a look on RightMove but I couldn't see anything. I will keep an eye out for you.

I would really recomend looking in the suburbs or across on the Wirral side. Prices are far more affordable and the public transport in Liverpool is very good.

HOLA447

I gave up looking for decent flats at 'reasonable' prices in Liverpool City Centre. About the best I could find are all shared ownership, but if you want to get on the property ladder they seem to be your only chance.

I would recommend slightly north of the City Centre, preferably around the 'financial district' i.e. Chapel Street and Leeds Street but be wary as there may be a massive development north of the city with the new cruise terminal in the coming years.

I have just had a look on RightMove but I couldn't see anything. I will keep an eye out for you.

I would really recomend looking in the suburbs or across on the Wirral side. Prices are far more affordable and the public transport in Liverpool is very good.

Leeds street seems to have a huge no of repossessions which worries me ..means owners cannot let/sell there so brings whole area down. Where is new cruise develop

ment going to be but surely that years down line??

HOLA448

Virtually all developments in city centre are in administration and the management fees for many buildings mean that you would be mad to buy there unless you want to flush money down the toilet!! Beetham plaza - a 2 bed has fees of £300+a month plus up to £200 fOr council tax means you are looking at £500 monthly fees BEFORE a mortgage ...and you can never pay it off it only goes up! No wonder they can't sell anything there -a flat went to auction for £100k and still didn't sell. Tower building, the Albany and unity all very high fees. Agents try to create illusion of restricted supply by only dumping a few flats on the market at a time but in reality there are dozens of unsold flats in most developments including one park west. Prices here are prob 40% too high and resellers are taking a bath on what they paid even 2 years ago! Show flats are up priced by hundreds of thousands for a bit of furniture worth prob £10k!!! Get real!

Mann island - Trapped by them if you want to rent out and much of the rope walks area is shared equity properties which are very hard to shift on as you have a restricted resale market to first timers only.

You need to do some serious research yourself if you want to buy in lpool - agents never give you the true picture and it is probably a cert that unless you get a rock bottom price you are looking at losing money. Am constantly amazed at people offering close to asking prices with one agent when there are flats in same building at half the price - can only presume a fool and his money......... There are two agents to avoid like the plague as up price all properties,

Can anyone point to a decent property with reasonable fees 2 bed?

Hi bills, welcome.

This sounds about right from my experience - city centre flats are simply unpurchaseable at the moment. There is either an unrealistic purchase price placed on them, or an unrealistic service charge. Anyone who bought these during the 'year of culture' hype is now in serious trouble financially, hence the service charge catches to them all. Ive jogged past Beetham Plaza a few times recently, and there are lots of lights out in the evening - I guess these are not shifting with the service charge, or even being occupied.

Besides, centre flat prices do not match well with prices for proper houses in more desirable suburbs - why buy a pokey central flat when you can get a 3 bed semi in a good neighbourhood for the same (free from service charges etc.) ?

The ropewalks area is noisy and disruptive with nightclubs and student nights midweek, and not for everyone. I find the north side around Leeds St etc. very baren and isolated for local facilities. The financial district is OK but very quiet at weekends, and like a ghost town with closed pubs etc. I'd give up on the centre and look a bit further out - depends on your tastes but many colleagues like Sefton Park/Aigburth area. There's also lots of flats on London Road, which is handy for Lime Street, of variable quality and character, where the service charges are less. Just avoid any too close to lime street, where there are crime problems.

Edited by Diet Cola Addict

HOLA449

New north Liverpool development with planning permission (no idea about finance, though)

Liverpool Waters, around the Stanley Tobacco warehouse

http://www.liverpoolwaters.co.uk/content/home.php

On the plus side, it would clean up this rather scruffy part of town, but on the downside, Im not sure where the demand will come from for more flats, retail or office space.

HOLA4410

Leeds street seems to have a huge no of repossessions which worries me ..means owners cannot let/sell there so brings whole area down. Where is new cruise development going to be but surely that years down line??

A couple of news articles for you.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/1ac4ed12-4909-11e1-88f0-00144feabdc0.html#axzz1rR5YMo00

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-17469646

Basically if cruise ships are allowed to dock in Liverpool the council is planning to develope the whole area slghtly north of the ciy centre into a cruise terminal.

Good news for Bootle I guess and I think this will impact the area I was talking about as well.

HOLA4411

Hi Marcus

you are a mine of information - just what I need! Your analysis seems really good but I am a little bit stuck with city centre - tell you why - need to use it myself for shortish period and then have ability to RENT it on when i move on - agents says only guarantee of renting is City Centre area because so many people want to be right in the city - either students or young professionals. Take on board what u say about better suburbs and if i was staying long term - would DEFFO be a better bet but all things considered - am very nervous about not being able to cover mortgage if i DON'T buy in city centre. I am the eternal optimist that something good will come up with a reasonable service charge or even a house (have spotted a few right in city centre but none on market). Waiting for Park West prices to drop thru the floor (according to Land Registry they have sold 170 out of 326 flats so they are holding loads back to look like there is a demand but the few they have on market are not selling!). I do prefer business area as you get more space in flats but again service charges...aah!!!!!

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

L15 8HX

Put the above postcode in Rightmove and you'll see 2 nice terraced houses (a friend of mine used to live in this street years ago and always loved the house) - Liverpool is full of lovely houses like these. I think Woolton is a lovely area with some lovely houses.

Hi GJ. Do you think these are fair value ? - I think they are priced rather high at £165k for a 2 bed terrace, and the 50 quid off one shown via property bee isnt the type of price action I was hoping for. These look typical Liverpool Suburb overpriced entries - the reason the suburbs are not selling either.

HOLA4414

Do you have a specific budget bills?

2 bed in the City Centre priced at £104,995.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-32293916.html

75% shared ownership but no mention of fees.

This is very central, close to Hanover Street and Liverpool One but far enough away from the worse part of China Town. The whole area has been developed recently on the success of Liverpool One. A massic Premier Inn is soon to open on Hanover Street. I am not a big fan of open-plan but it looks like a decent job here.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-13669629.html

2 bed in the City Centre at £135,000

Again, seems a decent location. way from the Ropewalks and Hardman Street area which I am sure are teeming with drunks on a Friday and Saturday night.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-36049661.html

Cathering Street seems to be a nice area. Really close to the University and Liverpool Communtiy College.

HOLA4415

Do you have a specific budget bills?

2 bed in the City Centre priced at £104,995.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-32293916.html

75% shared ownership but no mention of fees.

This is very central, close to Hanover Street and Liverpool One but far enough away from the worse part of China Town. The whole area has been developed recently on the success of Liverpool One. A massic Premier Inn is soon to open on Hanover Street. I am not a big fan of open-plan but it looks like a decent job here.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-13669629.html

2 bed in the City Centre at £135,000

Again, seems a decent location. way from the Ropewalks and Hardman Street area which I am sure are teeming with drunks on a Friday and Saturday night.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-36049661.html

Cathering Street seems to be a nice area. Really close to the University and Liverpool Communtiy College.

HOLA4416

Up to about £140K with parking but LOW service charge - some of these city centre flats would need to be given away and you would have to take out a mortgage for the service charge!!!

Worst I have come across is £310 a month for a 2 bed pokey flat!

Anyway - will go view the cornwallis one - had seen it but moving towards the slightly less salubrious area of town and really only attracts student renters from what I am told - not professionals. Agree with you that flats fron GJ looked overpriced but definitely more space than city centre.

Any inside info on distressed sellers/developments???

• 1 month later...
HOLA4417

Update - I've left this thread alone for a while as its been unclear whether I'm moving from Liverpool, or not.

Asking price >> selling price is no more obvious than in liverpool suburbs

Case 1 - chasing the market down

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-16658088.html

3 bedroom town house for sale

£149,950

Elm Hall Drive, Liverpool

22 May 2012

Price changed: from '£159,950' to '£149,950'

23 March 2012

Price changed: from '£165,000' to '£159,950'

26 February 2012

Status changed: from 'Premium Listing' to 'Available'

24 January 2012

Status changed: Premium Listing, Sold STC Listing

13 January 2012

Status changed: Premium Listing Listing, Sold STC

08 June 2011

Status changed: Premium Listing, Sold STC Listing

14 May 2011

Status changed: Premium Listing Listing, Sold STC

24 April 2011

Price changed: from '£175,000' to '£165,000'

18 April 2011

Status changed: from 'Available' to 'Premium Listing'

28 March 2011

Status changed: from 'Premium Listing' to 'Available'

27 February 2011

Status changed: from 'Available' to 'Premium Listing'

26 January 2011

Price changed: from '£185,000' to '£175,000'

25 October 2010

Price changed: from '£190,000' to '£185,000'

28 July 2010

Initial entry found.

Case 2 : Thou shalt not drop the price much (ps to vendor - get a photo without snow on the drive, please!)

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-28642069.html

24 May 2012

Brief Description changed: * PRICE REDUCED FOR OUR SUMMER SALE .......

21 May 2012

Price changed: from '£167,500' to '£162,500'

13 June 2011

'POA' to '£167,500'

22 April 2011

Price changed: from '£169,950' to 'POA'

06 December 2010

Initial entry found.

• 4 months later...
HOLA4418

It has been a while since this thread was updated so I just wanted to highlight some possible influences on prices in the coming years after I saw the story below today:

Liverpool to demolish streets around famous ground to make way for £150m stadium redevelopment

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2217714/Liverpool-rebuild-Anfield-knock-streets.html?openGraphAuthor=%2Fhome%2Fsearch.html%3Fs%3D%26authornamef%3DDominic%2BKing

I am not a fan of the Daily Mail but the story above goes into as much details as is available re. the housing situation.

Although it doesn't state it explicitly I would assume they are going to demolish the houses which are vacant and build new ones. The last time I went to Anfield it was a dump. Row after row of boarded up houses. I would assume that new housing will lower prices in other areas of Liverpool, at least at the very low end. I am not so sure about the high-end of the market though :huh:

My only worry is that new build houses are generally smaller than others in the area or that flats will be erected instead to attract a younger crowd, neither of which will improve Liverpool's housing situation.

Also, for those who are interested I came across a decent article in the Economist re. housing in Liverpool:

http://www.economist.com/node/21563332

This quote made me chuckle:

Falling prices compound the problem for councils hoping to regenerate struggling inner-city areas.

And there was me thinking falling prices would be an excellent thing :D

• 1 month later...
HOLA4419

It has been a while since this thread was updated so I just wanted to highlight some possible influences on prices in the coming years after I saw the story below today:

I've moved away from Liverpool, so I no longer update the thread. Shame, as prices were starting to fall quite nicely (still plenty of kite-flyers and delusionals, however!)

I very much enjoyed the city, the surrounding area and the people!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4420

Hi GJ. Do you think these are fair value ? - I think they are priced rather high at £165k for a 2 bed terrace, and the 50 quid off one shown via property bee isnt the type of price action I was hoping for. These look typical Liverpool Suburb overpriced entries - the reason the suburbs are not selling either.

You'd pay around 130-160k for a georgian three bed on that postcode - its one of the best roads in the L15 area.

HOLA4421

how about showing some patience, or renting a bargain instead?

• 3 weeks later...
HOLA4422

L15 8HX

Put the above postcode in Rightmove and you'll see 2 nice terraced houses (a friend of mine used to live in this street years ago and always loved the house) - Liverpool is full of lovely houses like these. I think Woolton is a lovely area with some lovely houses.

Woolton is a much nicer area than the part of wavertree where L15 8HX is situated.

Alas, property there is very expensive!

Edited by Phil S

• 2 years later...
HOLA4423

This 3 bed flat is up for resale at an asking of approximately what was paid in June 2007:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-35062797.html

No mention of the service charge, a bit of googling suggests more than a 2,500 for a two bed example in the same building! Will be interesting to see if this sells, and for what.

Edited by Cry and Regret

• 2 years later...
HOLA4424

I realise its been a while since anyone posted on this thread, but ive recently been looking at returning to the UK, I was very surprised to see that house prices in Liverpool are, in some places down to 2000 levels or earlier. its easy to get a 2 bed for 50000, and a 3 bed for 70000GBP, of course these are possibly not in the most desirable areas. however I checked the crime stats for all these places, and they seem better than the UK average. 

My curiosity got the better of me, and I decided to take a trip there with my girlfriend, we drew up a quick list of all the places we liked the look of, and did basically a pub crawl lasting for 4 days literally trying to gauge the areas. to our surprise the areas we ere looking seemed pretty vibrant and upbeat, everyone tried to engage in conversation in the pubs/shops and it gave us an impression of a real strong sense of community.

I originally came thinking it would be a really rough place, but was pleasantly surprised. I was looking around L4 originally, but then branched out to the whole city. Ive been living abroad for 10 years, and have got some assets priced in Euros, and with the crash of the pound I'm thinking about buying outright somewhere less than 100,000 and setting up again in the UK.

My girlfriend lives in Devon and literally could not believe that it was possible to get houses at these kind of prices, in a fairly large city, its at least 5 x the price there

I was just surprised by the quality and size and location of lots of the houses for the money, I'm just surprised more hasn't been mentioned. or if anyone still reads these threads and is from the area, what am I missing!!??

HOLA4425
2 hours ago, Grayphil said:

I was just surprised by the quality and size and location of lots of the houses for the money, I'm just surprised more hasn't been mentioned. or if anyone still reads these threads and is from the area, what am I missing!!??

I really enjoyed my 4ish years in Liverpool, when I started the thread.  People are friendly, the reality was a very pleasant upgrade from the false  reputation I had been given through media, past TV series, colleagues and friends before arriving.  Its a cultural, friendly, varied city, with lots to do in and around the city, albeit with neglected areas in some places (like many other places).      The reasons  prices are back at circa  2000 levels from my observations:

+ the main one is progressive and steady depopulation over many decades as the maritime jobs and heritage has declined.   I think its population is a third of what it once was in its prime as the main port of the British Empire in a maritime age.   Beware to all in the south east if this is what Brexit will do to London population!

+ Euro city of culture hype in 2008 that led to lots of flats and developments being put up, far in excess of demand at the time.  That mania bubble burst!  Overdevelopment in certain neigbourhoods.

+ three thriving universities each with huge private accommodation projects in recent years, taking ten of thousands of students out of certain suburbs where they would in the past been in a house share

+ my experience as a case study: job circumstances became difficult and no local alternative employers, so moved down south.  Now, I have several local employers nearer to London, so I'm more settled in that sense. 

+ no population trickle into the city- i.e. 30somethings moving out of London keeps the home counties stocked with a new generation of families.  However, any population trickle is an outflow rather than  an inflow as there is no dominant expanding local industries - media, digital that I can recall.  The new proposed film studios for the UK that I read about this week was in London ....