House Price Crash Forum

Woking

Stevewho

HOLA441

Hmm, that last one was kite-flying to start with.

£360k in 2014, £300k in 2012. http://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/detailMatching.html?prop=46883501&sale=45187503&country=england 

Someone apparently paid £450k earlier in the year. http://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/detailMatching.html?prop=54662836&sale=87896235&country=england

Still a lot to go there. Seems like prices went a bit crazy in Knaphill? Don't think it's as bad in Woking itself.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

I live in central Guildford. To answer the earlier questions - I think it is clearly nicer than Woking IF you choose one of the right parts of town. There are several nice areas, and some extremely nice areas, but outside those it's pretty average.

Guildford definitely seems to be on the way down at the moment - lots of reductions on Rightmove.

HOLA443
11 hours ago, keeprenting said:

I live in central Guildford. To answer the earlier questions - I think it is clearly nicer than Woking IF you choose one of the right parts of town. There are several nice areas, and some extremely nice areas, but outside those it's pretty average.

Guildford definitely seems to be on the way down at the moment - lots of reductions on Rightmove.

What are the nice parts of town? I did find the occasional nice street but may have just looked on the wrong side. 

HOLA444

I lived in central Guildford for 15 years. I live in the Oval between the Cthedral and station. Was awful. Drug dealing and gang fights by local chavs, so many students which meant loud parties even on a school night till 2pm and the worst was the rubbish - students not being organised put the bin bags out at random times - foxes came ripped them open and litter strewn in the street. Gardens totally unkempt, dumped trolleys. This is the problem with student areas and Guildford apart from the very expensive area will inevitably have them. Guildford also has  a relatively high population of indigenous certain breed of locals characterised by violent behaviour. In my road there was lots of assaults thefts and a murder http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-10743529

People who dont know Guildford think it is so posh, look away from the High Street - fur coat and no knickers. Moved to Farnham eventually.

HOLA445
10 hours ago, ItalianV6 said:

What are the nice parts of town? I did find the occasional nice street but may have just looked on the wrong side. 

OK, here is my illustrated guide, focusing on central Guildford.

- As a rule of thumb, the better areas are on the right hand side of the map, across the river from the main station. However, there are some nice roads in area (4). If you go out into the countryside past area (4), there are some big country estate type houses.

- Best area is (1). Walkable to the main station and High St and many of the houses have great views over the Surrey Hills. Also a short walk from Pewley Down. If you look on Rightmove at the moment the most expensive house currently up for sale is in area (1) - the listing has a few aerial photos so you can see what the area looks like. http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-65469617.html. This house would set you back about £5.5m but obviously not everything in the area is anywhere near as big.

- Some nice roads in (3) but a bit further out from the centre. If you go right to the outskirts of (3) you have several roads with massive houses (even a couple of oligarch style mega-mansions). But average prices would decrease as you go further out from the centre.

- Haven't gone over all the other areas but some of them are very average and some of them I might even be drawing a skull and crossbones on. I can certainly see why people would be talking down other parts of Guildford compared to e.g. Woking, apart from the areas I've circled.

- Area (2) is quiet/ leafy and middle class, with some nice roads and private schools. A nice area but it's further from the main station and High St than area (1), plus no views, so isn't quite as nice (or as pricey) as (1).

Guildford.jpg

Edited by keeprenting

• 6 months later...
HOLA446
HOLA447

I'm getting de-sensitised to stupid pricing.  Its a 1 bed after all. My first thought was that it didnt sound too bad!See my recent comments in the Alton thread for my view on how to best make use of the Woking area - and its not a city centre flat. 

Maybe sentiment is on the up regarding living in Woking - with its marketing in that advert highlighting the cinemas, theatres and new shopping of the town centre. The town centre is heavily marketing itself as a shopping and dining destination around Surrey and there has been progress with Market Street, the new developments and the new restaurants recently although many are quiet on school nights (except for that middle class small wine bar place next to Boz the Fruiterers on the town centre side of the station - that's always rammed full 7 nights a week).     5 years ago, the highlight on the marketing would have been  "Guildford shops and restaurants only 8 minutes away by train", with a big arrow on the train line. 

Maybe Woking is no so much the little unloved sister of Guildford as it once was. 

On 25/10/2017 at 4:09 PM, longgone said:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/new-homes-for-sale/property-50786523.html 

surprised to see new builds at 540ft 

did planning rules change minimum sizes ?

Edited by Does Commute Abit

HOLA448
  • 7 months later...
HOLA449

Prices cooling ever so slightly in my home town. For instance my parents house is as follows......its was bought in 1982 for 30k. By 1999 it had shot up to 100k. By 2005 prices had risen to 250k. The crash of 2008 didn't have much of an effect dropping it slightly to 230k. The price the crept up to 250k before HTB was brought in which decimated any chance for most FTB's and within 4 years the price had shot up to 400k. Recently prices have cooled slightly back to about 375k depending on how pie in the sky the EA is.

• 3 months later...
HOLA4410
  • 2 months later...
HOLA4411

Someone really ******ed it up...

2-bed flat bought in Jan 2017 for 350k, listed for sale in Dec 2017 for 375k (Nice flip, easy money!)... sitting unsold, last change in asking price:Jun 2018, 320k.

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/45774774?search_identifier=d70efde188b156ab1c39d9cf304b7cda

I can imagine the speculators who bought this... “I don’t understand it! It has perfect living room and bedroom views to the train station, aren’t there any train-loving buyers out there who can’t resist to buy this bargain from me? It’s just 12.8 times income!”

I hope it goes down to 50k (what I would consider fair value for a flat with this horrible orientation).

• 1 month later...
HOLA4412
On 01/12/2018 at 04:46, Burbujista said:

2-bed flat bought in Jan 2017 for 350k, listed for sale in Dec 2017 for 375k (Nice flip, easy money!)... sitting unsold, last change in asking price:Jun 2018, 320k.

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/45774774?search_identifier=d70efde188b156ab1c39d9cf304b7cda

That whole development is already looking horrible only a few years of construction.   The large restaurant space in its central courtyard is long term vacant, as are most of the ground floor shops, except for an unloved and unkempt Tesco Metro which seems to struggle on.  As a development , its very characterless and looks (to my untrained eye) a bit cheaply built and poorly located, sandwiched between busy roads, rail tracks and a builders yard with constant heavy lorries in and out. 

This makes me fear for the new barrage of high rise buildings that are being built on top of the new town centre development, and what this will mean for the centre of Woking.  This is the standard of living that those new high rise flats will offer will match this development you describe.  Moreover, the new retail offerings being built alongside will surely struggle unless they offer direct access to from the existing shopping centre, which I quite like as a quick and easy shopping venture to the cobbles and traffic of Guildford shops (which, in its favour, is more upmarket and independent).  If the new development is cut off from the existing shops, it will struggle like the failed retail offerings in the block you mention. 

Living in a flat above or within a London dormitory town, with a demoralising view of train tracks/maintenance yard, is not what life in Surrey can best offer.  You can do that in London for the same (Woking rent+season ticket) price!   I knew a colleague who swapped her life in a rough London neighbourhood for such a Woking flat, and ended up moving back!   For Surrey living, you have to enjoy the benefits of the area, which are freehold housing, an accompanied garden, larger living space, and nearby countryside.