House Price Crash Forum

Need Advice On Buying In Brum

enzyme

HOLA441

Hello,

I am currently looking to buy in Birmingham...edgbaston, harborne, moseley. My budget is up to 675 K. I need a 5 b/r, with parking off road, excellent condition. I don't mind painting decorating, which is expected anyway, but I don't want a property that needs major renovation such as double glazing installation, new kitchen or baths etc.

Anyway, I am surprised about the huge difference in price between edgbaston b15 and edgbaston b16...should i totally leave out b16?

I liked this property in B16 and had an offer accepted at 630k. The current owners brought it at the peak for 700k. Internally it has everything I wanted in a house and was completely renovated at one point, it has all double glazing, heating, boilers etc. Unfortunately i just found out that there is a Bail hostel a few doors down and that freaks me out somewhat!! So I have pulled out of that one.

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/26581814

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-36144940.html

There's also this property in Moseley just off the Yardley road but it is rather dull and a new build, but it's EPC is great.So it would be cheaper to run than an old victorian like the one above. Again, it also doesn't need any work on it. I know the current owners have rejected offers around 520k for that house. How much does anyone think it's worth in the current market?

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/20519647

Anybody out there with knowledge of the Brum housing market with some advice for me??? I've been looking for 18 months now, and in my experience lots of houses don't seem to be selling as they are still too overpriced and EA's are still over-valuing properties.

thanks.

HOLA442

B15 is the elite postcode for Edgbaston.

B16 is actually fine, but perceived as Asian and nearer the rougher bits of central Bham.

B15 is horribly overpriced. You should wait a year or more and then offer at least 15% under asking price in Harborne.

Mosley is also elite and overpriced and isn't actually very nice.

You'd be better off looking at Kings Heath, perhaps Selly Park in B15, just off the Pershore Road there are some big reductions.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

To get an idea of how overpriced B15 is, look in Rightmove at Selly Wick Drive..... Horrible houses, astronomical prices.

You're so right!!!

i have doscarded selly oak/selly park from my search even though i work at the QE for a number of reasons. Besides houses being ridiculously over-priced for the area, the traffic around those areas is traumatic!! Having a large hospital, major university, schools and lots of small colleges in the same area is mad.

What do you think of the bail hostel on Portland road where the first property i mentioned is located.?? Is it a big risk to take on a property in that area?

HOLA446
HOLA447

Unfortunately i just found out that there is a Bail hostel a few doors down and that freaks me out somewhat!! So I have pulled out of that one.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-36144940.html

Thanks for the new excuse not to buy. I haven't seen that one before.

The house is SSTC is that because they still think you are buying it or have they already found someone else?

HOLA448

You're so right!!!

i have doscarded selly oak/selly park from my search even though i work at the QE for a number of reasons. Besides houses being ridiculously over-priced for the area, the traffic around those areas is traumatic!! Having a large hospital, major university, schools and lots of small colleges in the same area is mad.

What do you think of the bail hostel on Portland road where the first property i mentioned is located.?? Is it a big risk to take on a property in that area?

I used to live 200m from there. All of central Brum is actually remarkable ok, unless you are a big issue seller. I would happily buy in B16, but with your kind of money I would be looking in Harborne as it has less downside - I mean, it and Kings Heath are not going down by as much as there is more support from professionals. However, B15 and Moseley will potentially see bigger % falls, as they rose higher in the boom. I've looked at houses in all the areas you are looking at in 2005-6 and in the end I decided not to buy in Brum.

In the future I might be tempted in B17 or Selly Park betwen B15 and Kings Heath/Moseley (not sure of postcode)

HOLA449

Thanks for the new excuse not to buy. I haven't seen that one before.

The house is SSTC is that because they still think you are buying it or have they already found someone else?

they think i am still buying...only sent out email to withdraw yesterday .... i do like the house but don't fancy ex-convicts as my neighbours...i know everyone deserves a chance in life and all that....but....

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Looking back at your requirements - I can see three problems

1. off-road parking is difficult in some nice areas like Moseley and Harborne.

2. state of decoration - as these houses have gone up by 100s of % often they are inhabited by lower paid older people who have not maintatined them. I recently went to a 6 bedder in Moseley and it had a hole in the ceiling of the lounge that the owner had no intention of fixing.

3. sense of entitlement/elite area. People who live in Harborne, B15 Edgbaston and Moseley know it is the most desirable area in Brum and so will be the last people to reduce prices.

I am looking in places further out and the willingness to accept large % reductions is starting to show through on RM with Property Bee. Not though in your areas, hence I will not probably buy in these areas.

HOLA4412

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-23307873.html?backListLink=%2Fproperty-for-sale%2Fmap.html%3FlocationIdentifier%3DUSERDEFINEDAREA%255E%257B%2522id%2522%253A1524316%257D%26radius%3D0%23_includeSSTC%3Don%26auction%3Dfalse%26includeSSTC%3Dtrue%26locationIdentifier%3DUSERDEFINEDAREA%255E%257B%2522id%2522%253A1524316%257D%26minPrice%3D290000%26previousSearchLocation%3Db29%2520selly%2520park%2520(Drawn%2520Area)%26radius%3D0.0%26searchLocation%3Db29%2520selly%2520park%2520(Drawn%2520Area)%26searchType%3DSALE%26useLocationIdentifier%3Dfalse%26box%3D-1.94681%2C-1.88879%2C52.43480%2C52.46080%26popupPropertyId%3D23307873&fromMap=true

5 bedroom detached house for sale

Guide Price

£409,950

Elizabeth Road, Moseley - SIZEABLE FIVE BEDROOM DETACHED WITH NO CHAIN!

ugly decoration and ugly rear extension.

HOLA4413

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-23307873.html?backListLink=%2Fproperty-for-sale%2Fmap.html%3FlocationIdentifier%3DUSERDEFINEDAREA%255E%257B%2522id%2522%253A1524316%257D%26radius%3D0%23_includeSSTC%3Don%26auction%3Dfalse%26includeSSTC%3Dtrue%26locationIdentifier%3DUSERDEFINEDAREA%255E%257B%2522id%2522%253A1524316%257D%26minPrice%3D290000%26previousSearchLocation%3Db29%2520selly%2520park%2520(Drawn%2520Area)%26radius%3D0.0%26searchLocation%3Db29%2520selly%2520park%2520(Drawn%2520Area)%26searchType%3DSALE%26useLocationIdentifier%3Dfalse%26box%3D-1.94681%2C-1.88879%2C52.43480%2C52.46080%26popupPropertyId%3D23307873&fromMap=true

5 bedroom detached house for sale

Guide Price

£409,950

Elizabeth Road, Moseley - SIZEABLE FIVE BEDROOM DETACHED WITH NO CHAIN!

ugly decoration and ugly rear extension.

ugly everything!

I would probably a lot of money to get that house right, so for what they're asking for it isn't worth the money or time.

HOLA4414
  • 2 weeks later...
HOLA4415

ugly everything!

I would probably a lot of money to get that house right, so for what they're asking for it isn't worth the money or time.

Hmmmm, I think you need to either increase how much you're prepared to pay or lower your standards to be blunt.

As I said B15 is VERY expensive, so those with 'show homes' tend to ask for top-whack.

This is a website for people who think houses generally are overvalued.

HOLA4416

The best area is between the University and Harborne - around Somerset Road and Richmond Hill Road, but will be too expensive.

Whatever you do, stay south of the Hagley Road; that is the cut-off point in Edgbaston.

Try looking between Harborne and the Hagley Road - Norfolk Road, and lots of nice small roads off it.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

The best area is between the University and Harborne - around Somerset Road and Richmond Hill Road, but will be too expensive.

Whatever you do, stay south of the Hagley Road; that is the cut-off point in Edgbaston.

Try looking between Harborne and the Hagley Road - Norfolk Road, and lots of nice small roads off it.

Also some lovely properties in the Lordswood road area of Harborne