What Does The F T S E Think It's Doing?

Ologhai Jones

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Mods delete this thread please.

We only have FTSE threads on HPC when the market is down 100+ points.

The markets have only stabilised because of the idea that a vast mountain of money is about to turn up in Europe and save all the people, the banks and govts from ruin. The only question left is, where is this money coming from? Govts plainly have none as they would not otherwise be borrowing every month like there was no tomorrow. Banks plainly have none since they are being highlighted as undercapitalised and stuffed with bad loans to other govts like, Greece, Portgual, Spain..even Italy. The IMF have admitted they are running short of funds.

The Chinese are beginning to realise they have lost the power to control their mirage of super growth. It is all a lie and well on the way to falling down.

SO JUST WHERE IS THIS MASSIVE EURO BAIL OUT FUND TO COME FROM? ANYONE KNOW? ............................Hmmmmm PRINT + DISTRIBUTE = INFLATION

HOLA446

The markets have only stabilised because of the idea that a vast mountain of money is about to turn up in Europe and save all the people, the banks and govts from ruin. The only question left is, where is this money coming from? Govts plainly have none as they would not otherwise be borrowing every month like there was no tomorrow. Banks plainly have none since they are being highlighted as undercapitalised and stuffed with bad loans to other govts like, Greece, Portgual, Spain..even Italy. The IMF have admitted they are running short of funds.

The Chinese are beginning to realise they have lost the power to control their mirage of super growth. It is all a lie and well on the way to falling down.

SO JUST WHERE IS THIS MASSIVE EURO BAIL OUT FUND TO COME FROM? ANYONE KNOW? ............................Hmmmmm PRINT + DISTRIBUTE = INFLATION

I KNOW! PLEASE ! ME SIR !

*puts hand up*

It's coming from YOUR bank account.

..and your children's

..and their children's

by which time, EVERY SINGLE PERSON making these rather silly decisions will have DIED OF OLD AGE and it won't be their problem.

HOLA447

Is this a good time to 'take profits' (or minimise losses) before the world wakes up again and we have another plunge?

No, we're back to this paradigm:

Weak data - Fed eases, stocks rally.
Strong data - Strong economy, stocks rally.
Consensus data - Lower volatility, stocks rally.
Bank loses US$ 8 billion - Bad news all out of the way, stocks rally.
Oil price up - Good for energy producers, stocks rally.
Oil price down - Good for consumers, stocks rally.
US$ down - Good for exporters, stocks rally.
US$ up - Lower inflation, stocks rally.
Inflation up - Good for commodities and asset prices, stocks rally.
Inflation down - Fed eases, stocks rally.
Climate change - Soft commodities up, stocks rally.
World ends - Good for disaster recovery companies, stocks rally. (from prudent bear)

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

Okay, if that's the case, how do you explain the strength of the Euro during the last fortnight?

HOLA4411

Why does this happen? Let's get the ball rolling then...

link

98 of FTSE 100 companies use tax havens

New research by ActionAid uncovers 8,492 overseas subsidiary companies.

Every single company on the London Stock Exchange, bar two, uses round-the-world tax havens, often costing developing countries far more than they receive annually in aid, a report by ActionAid has revealed.

Ninety-eight per cent of the country's biggest businesses are afforded widespread financial secrecy and tax levies by holding jurisdictions in 8,492 companies outside of the UK. This makes up a quarter of the FTSE 100's total 34,000 subsidiaries.

The four big banks (Barclays, HSBC, Lloyds and RBS) alone have 1,649 firms located in tax havens.

ActionAid's research is based on previously undisclosed data. FTSE companies are required by law to disclosed information on their subsidiary businesses, however, ActionAid's analysis found that over half "were not complying with this legal obligation". The child sponsorship chairty submitted complaints to Companies House, thereby forcing Stock Exchange businesses to re-file their annual returns.

A graphic map of the FTSE 100 tax havens can be found on the ActionAid website, here.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

I would guess, the bailout being passed is a sign that things aren't as desperate as the market thought.

That, and randomness.

I think the currency market is expecting that the Euro rescue fund won't be funny money but instead Euro bonds backed by all the Euro nations, or something similar. Otherwise surely the Euro would plummet at the prospect of massive printing?

HOLA4414

Mods delete this thread please.

We only have FTSE threads on HPC when the market is down 100+ points.

I'ts very volatile at the moment, as I and others have pointed out. This is a bad thing for FTSE growth.

During the debt times the FTSE never strayed out of 2.5% moves, in other words it was very very stable and it went up

but that's not the point, it was stable in the direction it moved.

Now It has gone 10% up from the low in 10 days, In July it was over 6000 and fell from that.

The volatility is a bad thing for investors, for gamblers it's just about ok, but still not good.

That's around 350% gains per annum at it's current rate.

Edited by northwestsmith2

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

I would guess, the bailout being passed is a sign that things aren't as desperate as the market thought.

That, and randomness.

My personal asshole opinion is that markets are currently being driven much more by sentiment than fundamentals. Mainly because I don't think anyone has the slightest clue what the actual fundamentals are any more.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

How the feck can you buy into this market?

King, who presumably has access to information that the likes of you and I will never be privy to, comes out and says that some EU countries are bust - not just one, but 'some' - and the following morning the FTSE carries on upwards.

Is it an organised pump and dump as right_freds_dead says, is it short buying? What?

HOLA4419

S&P sees downgrade blitz in EMU recession, threatening crisis strategy

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/financialcrisis/8839972/SandP-sees-downgrade-blitz-in-EMU-recession-threatening-crisis-strategy.html

Well that bit of stinking news took the FTSE up by over 100 points today as the bulls bought the dip - just need a few bank failures and a downgrade for the UK and we'll be back at 6000 at this rate.

It seems bizarre the bad headlines alongside the green market figures.

What are we looking at?

1) Insiders that know something, buying before good news is released

2) People believing the bad news so much they are exiting cash to buy shares knowing they might dip initially but it's better than having money in the bank

3) ?

HOLA4420

It seems bizarre the bad headlines alongside the green market figures.

What are we looking at?

1) Insiders that know something, buying before good news is released

2) People believing the bad news so much they are exiting cash to buy shares knowing they might dip initially but it's better than having money in the bank

3) ?

Financial media set up to separate you from your cash by encouraging you to emotially make the wrong decisions at the wrong time.

Doesn't matter whether it's houses, equities, bonds or gold.

Read it for entertainment but not for investment/trading.

HOLA4421

Well the markets are just loving the Greek default (in all but name) including the banks with Barclays up nearly 20% today and the stinking turd that is RBS up 10% - quite incredible really.

im goonna be going shart again tomorrow, im pretty confident theres still 9700 in the Dow to this bottom and more interestingly a return to 4900 on the Dax would open up the 8000 upside target on it via a double bottom

HOLA4422

im goonna be going shart again tomorrow, im pretty confident theres still 9700 in the Dow to this bottom and more interestingly a return to 4900 on the Dax would open up the 8000 upside target on it via a double bottom

That would be good. I've got 2/3rds short position now which is enough until it actually reverses.

I reckon there's an effort to get the SPX to hold above the 200ma going into month end on Monday pulling in all the dumb money ready for the take down.

At least I hope that's what's going on. All the ta indicators are overly strong so we'll have to see where they are when they're weak again.

It's difficult to see why anyone's bought this empty brown envelope dummy Sarko/Merkin have sold them. Very odd.

HOLA4423

What's the trigger to end the happy clappy? Or doesn't there have to be one, is it just your tea leaves?

HOLA4424

Fondues are on Tamara. Good man.

HOLA4425

After today's action there's a lot of stuff that looks like this...

http://blogs.stockch...k-spdr-kre.html

Yep. Problem of course is that the P&F breakout will still be 'valid' so long as support down at the early Oct lows holds. i.e. price can go way back to 19 on that chart and still be on a 'buy' signal. Which is more or less where I suspect we're heading.