House Price Crash Forum

Altrincham - Ghost Town

CapitalistPiglet

HOLA441

the shops on the main road were doomed as soon as the pedestrian precinct was built 30 odd years ago, since then out of town shopping(broadheath)has put another nail in. online shopping another nail. with regard parking never had a problem, parking in alti is easier than most towns chester springs to mind. 30 years ago individuals opening shops was the norm then we became enthralled to the great god supermarket. the only people to blame are ourselves. the few individual shops left need support use em or lose them.

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA442

Maybe Altair is still going ahead, the Bridge Inn pub on Moss Lane opposite Tesco has been shut for a few weeks now

No loss.

and ATS Euromaster, the car repair place next to the pub on the corner, also looks abandoned, though I never saw much activity there anyway.

Its open for business again now.

• 4 weeks later...
HOLA443

Altair plans back on after compulsary purchase order given for the ATS site.

http://www.messengernewspapers.co.uk/news/9534915.__100m_Altair_back_on_track/

They're cracking on as the old pub has been completely flattened for a few weeks now, zero sign it was ever there.

Scaffolding has been up for a few months around the Stamford House building on Moss Lane I posted about earlier on the thread, the owners of that also owned the pub, so maybe the cash Trafford council gave them has allowed the conversion to flats to start?

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
  • 1 year later...
HOLA447

Alty doesn't need more phoney developments, it needs about half of the retail space knocking down and turning into parks or something. They should concentrate on making the area around the market and George street nice and bulldoze all that stuff on the wrong side of Stamford road?

Too many factors have combined to make retail in Alty a shrunken concern.

It's a funny place now, you have some nice restaurants and belgian beer places, then tons of charity shops, that shitty bar/club under the mall, and loads of empty units.

Back in the late 90's and early 00's there was an explosion of bars, and that all seems to have died away (not necessarily a bad thing of course), and with that some old pubs have gone as the tide went out.

It used to be a fairly good retail centre when I was a kid in the 80's, but internet shopping, the trafford centre, and the broadheath retail park have done it in.

HOLA448

I'm originally from south Manchester, now living in London.

I was back up there recently and nipped into Altrincham town centre to do a bit of shopping.

I couldn't believe how bad things were, loads of empty shops and the ones that were still there seemed dead considering it was mid-morning on a Saturday not too far from Christmas.

I work just off Oxford St in London, so I'm used to the masses of people there and perhaps that has skewed my perceptions of things, but Alty seemed like a town on the verge of death.

HOLA449

Alty doesn't need more phoney developments, it needs about half of the retail space knocking down and turning into parks or something. They should concentrate on making the area around the market and George street nice and bulldoze all that stuff on the wrong side of Stamford road?

Too many factors have combined to make retail in Alty a shrunken concern.

It's a funny place now, you have some nice restaurants and belgian beer places, then tons of charity shops, that shitty bar/club under the mall, and loads of empty units.

Back in the late 90's and early 00's there was an explosion of bars, and that all seems to have died away (not necessarily a bad thing of course), and with that some old pubs have gone as the tide went out.

It used to be a fairly good retail centre when I was a kid in the 80's, but internet shopping, the trafford centre, and the broadheath retail park have done it in.

Agree. My impression (and from some personal research) is that it's largely run for and on behalf of a small number of active large landlords. The small independents are actually very good but tend to be hidden away at the back of the market or on Oxford Rd. for instance. I guess they escape the clutches of the these l/lords as, for example, Hale seems to manage to do. Knutsford and Nantwich seem to also have a more vibrant thriving independent sector (I don't have to data to support this view; just a personal impression).

Everything to the right/back of Goose Green is a dog's dinner. I've been to the cinema when there's only been 2 people in and I had to request them to start the film. Which is great if you want your own personal cinema complex I suppose but suggests it ain't making much money.

Agree the 'answer' seems to always be more development. More retail space, more eateries, more 'entertainment'. Oh and just what you would imagine NOBODY would want in the middle of a retail re-generation - a hospital!!! WTFs that all about?