House Price Crash Forum

Halifax Minus 2.4%

HOLA441

All three indices out this week. Last month, Halifax came out with a whopping 2.2% MoM rise (even more without seasonal adjusting) that even they had difficulty justifying. Big fall coming to counter that?

Would be 3/3 of the indices if it fell (admittedly the LR data is covering a different month). When was the last time all three fell in a row I wonder?

EDIT TO ADD: Forecast is for -0.4% B)

2nd Edit - Prediction Thread Updated with actual numbers

Edited by rantnrave

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

I'm going for -3% its going to be big to counter the 2.2% last month. and bing 3.2% above Niationwides last month.

unless they adjust down last months to 0.2%, and then next month adjust the expected -0.4% to -1.4%. this is the thing to watch, the adjusting the previous figures

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

I'm going to go for 'we didn't do a mortgage this month so we can't tell you'.

I used all of the mortgage funds up last month with my £80,059 purchase.

Therefore I can confidently report it will definately be -50.00%

Edited by Reck B

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

This is the index I 'picked' from the start, so I'm sticking with it.

Has to be substantially down this month. Maybe a decent headline maker at a time when everything seems pretty bad at the moment.

I predict -2.8%

-4.2% I'll go for.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Excellent. Wiped out last month. Any revisions? Whats the full Numbers? Can't view the report as I'm abroad with no internet and I'm risking few quid on my mobile bill just to check the numbers this week!

HOLA4417

Excellent. Wiped out last month. Any revisions? Whats the full Numbers? Can't view the report as I'm abroad with no internet and I'm risking few quid on my mobile bill just to check the numbers this week!

Can't access it yet...

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Key facts

House prices in the three months to April were 0.3% higher than in the preceding three months (November 2011-January 2012). This was the first increase in prices on this measure of the underlying trend since September 2011 (0.1%), following six successive falls.

On a monthly basis, house prices fell by 2.4% in April. This more than offset the previous month's 2.2% increase as prices continue to fluctuate month-to-month.

Prices in the three months to April were 0.5% lower than in the same period a year earlier. This measure of the annual rate improved slightly from -0.6% in March and showed the smallest fall in prices since October 2010 (+1.2%).

No change in the average UK house price so far this year. The UK average price in April 2012, at £159,883, was virtually the same as in December 2011 (£159,888).

HOLA4424

The main page on the Halifax House Price Index - April 2012 page says this:

UK house price growth on an underlying basis remains relatively subdued, according to the latest Halifax House Price Index.

Commenting, Martin Ellis, housing economist, said:

"Prices in the three months to April were 0.3% higher than in the previous quarter, marking the first rise in this measure for seven months. Despite the slight improvement in the underlying trend in recent months, house prices continue to lack real direction with the current UK average price little different to where it was at the end of 2011. The monthly figures continue to fluctuate quite widely with a 2.4% decline in April, wiping out March's 2.2% rise.

"The ending of the stamp duty holiday for first-time buyers in late March appears to have boosted home sales early this year as buyers strove to beat the deadline, and has probably contributed to the volatility in house prices in the last few months.

"We continue to expect little overall movement in prices as the UK economic situation remains challenging."

Key facts
  • House prices in the three months to April were 0.3% higher than in the preceding three months (November 2011-January 2012). This was the first increase in prices on this measure of the underlying trend since September 2011 (0.1%), following six successive falls.
  • On a monthly basis, house prices fell by 2.4% in April. This more than offset the previous month's 2.2% increase as prices continue to fluctuate month-to-month.
  • Prices in the three months to April were 0.5% lower than in the same period a year earlier. This measure of the annual rate improved slightly from -0.6% in March and showed the smallest fall in prices since October 2010 (+1.2%).
  • No change in the average UK house price so far this year. The UK average price in April 2012, at £159,883, was virtually the same as in December 2011 (£159,888).

HOLA4425