House Price Crash Forum

Anne Ashworth Of The Times Reads Hpc

HOLA441
Guest An Bearin Bui
"Another surprise development of the slowdown of 2008 is the sudden improvement in the image of the buy-to-let investor, previously the villain, blamed from excluding first-time buyers from homeownership. A study from the National Housing and Planning Advice Unit (NHPAU) indicates that first-time buyers have been more disadvantaged by their own lack of purchasing power."

WTF? what is she saying here? that its not the fault of btl for pushing the prices out of reach of first timers, its the fault of ftbs because they can't afford it?

Let me explain: it's not that BTL landlords have pushed up prices so that they're too high, it's just that FTBs don't earn enough. Now that we've figured that out, all FTBs will be entitled to a 200% pay rise to match the 200% rise in property values, courtesy of the taxpayer. It'll probably work along the lines of the NR bail-out i.e. a massive increase in debt:GDP ratios in order to sustain house prices with a total disregard for inflation or public debt. :lol:

Her statement is a bizarre example of Orwellian circular logic that shows how desperate the middle-aged, middle-class are to keep this boom going. Those selfish doom-mongers talking the market down when all Anne Ashworth wants is her large house to continue to double in value and be worth £10m in 5 years!! Why can't those selfish FTBs see that? The middle-aged NEED that money, it's theirs by RIGHT and those dreadful young people are so selfish to want to own a home of their own.

Let's just ignore the fact that any middle-aged person who is relying solely on the value of their home to provide their future wealth is an idiot who has failed financially and been irresponsible about planning for their future. :angry:

Edited by An Bearin Bui

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

I had a go at Anne Ashworth last weekend when I responded to her 'The Bricks Chicks' column!!

The Bricks Chicks on the demise of the dining room

What a waste of time in my opinion!! I'd like to see Merryn Somerset-Webb included in the Bricks Chicks for a better balanced viewpoint, the current format is skewed towards regurgitating meaningless spin/data from companies that have a vested interest in preventing the largest asset bubble in history, that is the UK property market, from bursting!! The longer we try and prevent the BUST from happening the worse the eventual outcome shall be, at the end of the day recession is an essential part of the economic cycle as it purges the excesses of the previous boom leaving the economy in a healthier state.

Could today's piece in the Times be her response to me, either way I believe we should now collectivley target Anne Ashworth, she's guilty of ramping property prices up to these unsustainable levels!!

HOLA445
HOLA446
I've replied.

That article just drips the shock and anger of someone who's suddenly realised there is a substantial body of opinion contrary to their own, and who lacks the critical ability to appreciate the arguments behind such opposing views.

We know you're reading this Ms Ashworth, so please keep looking at the site and try to understand the reasoning behind it.

Yes, I've replied too. A thousand characters of reasoned argument pleading for the next generation to not be forced into a lifetime of debt slavery.

Needless to say, my reply has not been published.

I wonder at how thick they all are. Fast forward 10 or 20 years.

Young people cannot afford houses, have 200 billion of PFIs to pay off, have to pay higher taxes to pay their fathers' pensions - and still have university debts around their necks.

All so people like Anne Whateverhername is can relax thinking 'Isn't life great! My London home is worth a million and I haven't ever lifted a finger'.

Edited by Lets' get it right

HOLA447
HOLA448

Well I wrote my piece, though I don't pretend to be clever, I think I got my point across.

When I reloaded the page though, this comment came up.

The merchants of doom aren't above using underhand methods to further their aims. Witness this blatant attempt to influence a GMTV house price poll...

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=67862

Play Fair, Belfast

being new here, just realising how popular we are!

HOLA449

We can argue by how much house prices are stagnant or falling but even the very statistics Anne holds dear, from the mortgage lenders she views as objective commentators, say that house prices are indeed stagnant or falling. It's like arguing how fast the Titanic is sinking. What do I care? Like many at HPC I never even boarded the ship - the fare was too expensive (even in steerage where the BTL brigade are now trapped). Those that have STRed have already taken most of the lifeboats. Soon you'll be running around the decks screaming 'Women and children first!' but it will be too late. Just settle down, listen to the band and wait for the end.

HOLA4410
Well I wrote my piece, though I don't pretend to be clever, I think I got my point across.

The merchants of doom aren't above using underhand methods to further their aims. Witness this blatant attempt to influence a GMTV house price poll...

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=67862

What point are you trying to get across? That HPC are merchants of doom who use underhand methods? :lol:

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

May I suggest 'A Short History of Financial Euphoria' by JK Galbraith as essential reading at this point?

Only two things are required to create a boom - excessive leverage and monomanic sentiment.

Only one thing can happen after this.

HOLA4416
eek! no I didn't write that, someone else did!

I was skim reading, sorry! I see what you where saying now... your story relevant comment doesn't get used but they highlight one that isn't even linked to the story as it's exposing a HPC scam – typical!

I bet it was nohpc - he seemed rather disgruntled at the GMTV fix. :lol:

Edited by OurDayWillCome

HOLA4417

Couldnt resist copying a great post from 'the other site'

"first-time buyers have been more disadvantaged by their own lack of purchasing power. "

Yeah it's like those whinging bloody pensioners and their fuel bills. Christ some of them are so stubborn they even freeze to death in the winter. I wish I was a journalist so I could write about those doom-mongers complaining about fuel and food price inflation. I mean look at all the poor, half of them are fat and smoke anyhow so could do with better budgetting. As for the old folk and the amount they squander on electic wheelchairs and murray mints and fancy old Rover cars. Fools the lot of them. What we need is to band together and stick our money into commodities and drive up the cost of food and fuel. We can then write columns (without declaring our interest) ramping the need for higher food and fuel and an increase in the money supply. As a sideline we could slate selfish old tossers that moan about the cost of living.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
Moved off-topic.

Gutted :(

It's giving this site publicity. :D

How is this off topic? - the silly moo obviously reads (and dislikes) this site so this thread should be retained so she can get some appropriate info for her next column.

Edited by lulu

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4422
Don't worry. By the time this has played out, Anne Ashworth, along with Kirsty & Phil and Sarah Beeny, will be hiding from lynch mobs for a good few years.

Leave Beeny out of this Talbot, Its her ample bossom that gives me the will to live, especially when shes with calf.

Damo

• 3 months later...
HOLA4423

When are we going to get an apology from the rampers.They love to say we have been getting it wrong for years.Well actually my own predictions have been too bullish,+8% for 2007 and -4% for 2008 .The speed of this crash has actually took most Bears by surprise.But these commentators haven't even been in the ball park with their predictions.

So Anne Ashworth,Ruth Lea,Miss.Earley,David Smith,Kirsty Allsop and the other rampers.Where is the decency to admit you were wrong.

Edited by crashmonitor

HOLA4424
When are we going to get an apology from the rampers.They love to say we have been getting it wrong for years.Well actually my own predictions have been too bullish,+8% for 2007 and -4% for 2008 .The speed of this crash has actually took most Bears by surprise.But these commentators haven't even been in the ball park with their predictions.

So Anne Ashworth,Ruth Lea,Miss.Earley,David Smith,Kirsty Allsop and the other rampers.Where is the decency to admit you were wrong.

They're like Adolf Hitler in 1945, in complete denial right to the bitter end & about to announce a total victory over the allies:

:huh: