House Price Crash Forum

Altrincham/hale/halebarns

dst

HOLA441

Just came across this site and I’m finding it extremely useful.

My personal situation is that I moved up from Birmingham to start a new job in Altrincham 4 months ago. I stay in a B&B during the week and would like to move the wife and kids up. I have been looking around the area and would like to buy something in Hale. I’m looking for a 3-bed semi and have been monitoring the prices but they don’t seem to be coming down.

Are prices in Hale stubbornly high in your opinion? Or have they come down recently? Are they likely to come down at all (or further)? What’s a “reasonable” price to pay for a 3-bedder in Hale in the current climate?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

My personal situation is that I moved up from Birmingham to start a new job in Altrincham 4 months ago. I stay in a B&B during the week and would like to move the wife and kids up. I have been looking around the area and would like to buy something in Hale. I’m looking for a 3-bed semi and have been monitoring the prices but they don’t seem to be coming down.

Are prices in Hale stubbornly high in your opinion? Or have they come down recently? Are they likely to come down at all (or further)? What’s a “reasonable” price to pay for a 3-bedder in Hale in the current climate?

Do you have the Firefox browser and the Property-Bee plugin ?

Having that combo will allow you to view any area on Rightmove and will show all price changes for individual properties, including all the cuts in asking prices.

It makes monitoring prices much easier and gives you a grip on the market and market conditions in Hale and all other areas. You won't regret installing them.

Random examples of Rightmove search viewed with the Property-Bee plugin:

halepropbeeexample.gif

Today this Hale 3-bed semi caught my eye at £159,000.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sa...y-25247159.html

http://www.propertyfinder.com/cgi-bin/rsea...mp;id=504792517

Maybe not the most desirable road and house-price history for that road shows prices stayed reasonably affordable since 2001 compared with other areas. Slightly out of Hale centre (is it strictly Hale?), and someone else's eye because it went STC "under offer" within the month. Pitched at a price significantly lower than competing properties, and houses will sell - but I for one expect much better value in 6 months, 12 months, 2 years and more - even in Hale. Renting is not dead money when house prices are dropping many thousands of pounds in value every 6 months.

How are all the 3-bed semis in Sarah's Chadderton area in the £159,000 range going to compete with better Hale 3-bed semis at the same or lower asking prices?

29 April 2009

* Status changed: from 'Available' to 'Sold STC'

22 April 2009

* Title changed: Old Meadow Lane,Altrincham,Cheshire Lane,Hale,Cheshire [Found by n/a]

21 April 2009

* Brief Description changed: Spacious 3 bed semi, in a popular position within easy reach of Hale Village and Altrincham Town Centre. semi detached with off road parking and a good sized rear garden - IDEAL FOR THOSE WITH YOUNG FAMILIES. The house has been well maintained but is now ready for modernisation throughout. Ideal for families property does need updating throughout, and represents a superb opportunity for prospective purchasers to re-style the accommodation comprises: entrance hall, living room, dining roo... property to their own tastes and requirements. Accommod... [Found by n/a]

05 April 2009

* Initial entry found. [Found by n/a]

HOLA443

I'd say hold your fire. Hale has been a bit of a mixed-bag over the last year or so. Initially prices were very sticky, but then reality started to bite late last year. Lot's of reductions on the bigger detached stuff (check Home.co.uk and check out the price movements.)

I've been keeping an active track of Hale/Hale Barns/Bowden for the last 18 months or so. I'd say the "worst" is still yet to come. Of the stuff I'm looking at (4 bed detached) only 1 (gulp!) of the properties I've been tracking has sold. There is still a fair whack of denial taking place, which I guess is understandable from people who overstretched themselves. I can see prices falling hard from this Autumn onwards. Still, the bottom may be many years away...

Not sure what your budget is? Unless it's large, I'd say avoid Hale and look at Sale or Timperley. Much better value for money, IMHO. That's if you really must buy now, of course.

Nomadd

HOLA444
HOLA445
Maybe. I was born and brought up in Sale and I'd rather live in Hale or Alty any day.

Me too. To both points you mention. But I'd only want to live in the better parts of Hale/Alty.

The OP didn't give a price bracket. And anywhere nice in Hale is still likely to cost big bucks. Sure, you could plonk yourself on one of the busier roads, or one of the new build estates in Alty, but I can't say that would be my first choice.

If you get yourself down the Southern and Southwestern reaches of Timperley, you are on the Hale/Alty boarders anyhow, and in some pretty nice residential locations. Much - much - better than some of the "rougher" stuff that both Hale and Alty have to offer. And the guy has a wife and kids, so maybe blowing all of his budget on a house in Hale is not the highest priority?

More info. required, I guess. :)

Nomadd

HOLA446

Do you know the area at all?

I've lived in the area on and off over many years. As with most places it depends what your budget is, whether you need access to M/way network or a walk to the train/tram station, what ages your kids are re schooling, whether you want to be able to walk to local shops etc. Then you need to figure out which roads/areas are expensive/sought after and which are cheaper/to be avoided and so on.

'3-bed semi' in Hale can run from under £200k to over £1m.

In my experience there is a glut of newbuild/redevelopments at the top end and some of these appear to have been either mothballed or sold on part completed, suggesting the banks are demanding their money back.

I know several friends/acquaintances who have put houses up for sale over the last few months in the £500-800k region, who are expecting to have to wait 12 months + to sell. In one case they had an offer £50k under asking (which was I think £50k less than the agents recommended price anyway) and they rejected it. Another who put it on at what seemed a peak price to me, only to drop it by about £80k a few weeks later after little response and who has now decided not to sell (doesn't need to).

So, from what I've seen it appears to me (anecdotally) to be a mixed bag and where people aren't forced sellers they're just sitting tight. That tends to be in the better areas, in the less sought after areas I've seen quite a few fairly hefty price reductions over the last 12 months or so but still very few sales. So, I guess it's well worth going in low and seeing what response you get. But, from my recollection of the 90s crash, (and some on here don't share my recollection) the good properties in the prime areas, particulatly in the catchment areas of the top primary and secondary/grammar schools (Halebarns/Bowdon/Altrincham) kept their prices well, and in fact subsequently strongly outperformed many of the other localities over the next decade. I know, because I was trying to find one to buy at the time.

I personally would steer well clear of Timperley/Sale (it's all a bit of an amorphous mass of 1930s suburbia - But that may be you thing in which case there's endless to choose from) as an alternative and head over to somewhere like Bramhall where it is a good quality 'family' area without the in your face Black Range Rover Sport/Bentley bling attitude of Hale/Bowdon or perhaps some parts of Wilmslow or Knutsford. Again you need to be selective. Unless of course you like the whole black Range Rover/Bentley bling thing (I don't) in which case Hale is the only place to be - but you'll pay for it.

Edited by Red Kharma

HOLA447
But, from my recollection of the 90s crash, (and some on here don't share my recollection) the good properties in the prime areas, particulatly in the catchment areas of the top primary and secondary/grammar schools (Halebarns/Bowdon/Altrincham) kept their prices well, and in fact subsequently strongly outperformed many of the other localities over the next decade. I know, because I was trying to find one to buy at the time.

You're smart, so I don't want to bait you or argument with you.

On another forum I found and recorded these figures for Altrincham / Hale, which, if approximately accurate would support your recollection.

1989 = +57.72%,

1990 = -14.14%

1991 = +14.93%

1992 = -6.10%

1993 = +0.11%

1994 = -2.53%

1995 = +1.24%

1996 = +5.04%

Trouble is, I think you're way off the mark with this thinking.

I know several friends/acquaintances who have put houses up for sale over the last few months in the £500-800k region, who are expecting to have to wait 12 months + to sell. In one case they had an offer £50k under asking (which was I think £50k less than the agents recommended price anyway) and they rejected it. Another who put it on at what seemed a peak price to me, only to drop it by about £80k a few weeks later after little response and who has now decided not to sell (doesn't need to).

Not needing to sell won't protect you from asset price falls. It sounds like wishful thinking. Property values have risen to extremes through many years of credit expansion, and in my view, there is very little savings to back it all up.

It is true that there are many successful professionals, business owners, old-money, inherited wealth who own top-end homes in Hale who are not under any pressure to sell at values below what they believe their homes are worth. I just don't think it will stop the value of their homes falling, as other top-end home-owners will begin to lower their asking prices and accept lower offers over time. Not everyone can be in the position of not needing to sell.

You'd need near enough everyone comfortable with no need to sell at lower prices if you expect to keep values up - and that would assume potential buyers are willing to pay whatever money for the top-end in Hale, regardless of any sense of value.

Edited by friday

HOLA448
You're smart, so I don't want to bait you or argument with you.

On another forum I found and recorded these figures for Altrincham / Hale, which, if approximately accurate would support your recollection.

Trouble is, I think you're way off the mark with this thinking.

Not needing to sell won't protect you from asset price falls. It sounds like wishful thinking. Property values have risen to extremes through many years of credit expansion, and in my view, there is very little savings to back it all up.

It is true that there are many successful professionals, business owners, old-money, inherited wealth who own top-end homes in Hale who are not under any pressure to sell at values below what they believe their homes are worth. I just don't think it will stop the value of their homes falling, as other top-end home-owners will begin to lower their asking prices and accept lower offers over time. Not everyone can be in the position of not needing to sell.

You'd need near enough everyone comfortable with no need to sell at lower prices if you expect to keep values up - and that would assume potential buyers are willing to pay whatever money for the top-end in Hale, regardless of any sense of value.

Thanks for that table of prices. It seems to accord with my recollection.

Yes, I agree with you about price setting. It was simply what I've noticed in particular areas. There will always be some people who need to move of course. At the top end asking prices appear to have dropped around 10-15%, but not much seems to be shifting and with the lag before sold prices are available on nethouseprices it's a bit difficult finding out what they've actually sold for. My anecdotal was simply what I've come across where people with no mortgages may wish to move, downsize etc and they seem to have a price in mind which clearly they're not getting offered, so instead they've decided to stay put. I'm sure that's down to a specific age/demographic though. I don't happen to know anyone personally who is a forced seller, but I'm sure they exist. I've been having a look at the lower end tonight and there is more available especially on the Altrincham side of Hale Rd towards the football ground. I don't know much about that area so unfortunately can't comment on the prices there.

HOLA449

+1

And that is already happening.

The truth is - at least from the recent figures I can gather - was that the "top end" nature of Hale/Bowden left many believing they were almost immune from HPC. The stickiness of prices up until late last year was a good indication of that. Even a year after the Oct 07 peak, it was still very hard to find anything with a decent reduction in Hale/Bowden. Now the picture seems much clearer: the large chops in prices of Oct/Nov last year on most of the properties I track still hasn't shifted them. Of the 4 properties I thought had sold in Hale, 3 of them have since come back on the market with reduced prices. And all of the newer additions to Rightmove/Primelocation/etc. in the area are at much reduced prices to those which have been listed a year or more - and even these newer additions are failing to sell.

Aside: There is also the silliness of Watersons at the moment, who seem to think that the way to shift these properties is by jacking the prices back up. At least 3 properties I watched fail to sell last year in Hale have now been relisted by Watersons with a 5% price increase. Guess they must know something we don't? :)

My bro-in-law's business partner is looking to buy in Hale at the moment (in fact he's been looking since late last year.) His budget is £1/1.5 mill. Problem is, he can't shift the nice 4 bed detached he's got in Knutsford. It's priced keenly - he's no fool to the reality of the property market, as it's where he made his fortune - but he's had absolutely no offers. And all the time this impasse carries on, the prices keep slipping.

My advice to the OP would still be just to rent for awhile. I can't see prices being any higher over the next 5 years - in fact I believe (other's will disagree) they will be significantly lower - so why jump in now when he doesn't need to? His call, really. At least we are all giving him something to think about! :)

Nomadd

HOLA4410

My point was transactions set prices, as we know.

Going back to the table you posted above following a rise of 57% in '89, 14% falls in '90 were cancelled out by 14% gains in '91, i.e. net zero, followed by approx -8% over the next 3 years over the bottom.

Not needing to sell of course doesn't protect anyone from notional asset price falls in a balance sheet sense, but unless you do have to sell during the period in question that is largely irrelevant. unless we enter a protracted period of deflation over many years, which I don't think is particularly credible.

So, due to the limited size of the market in each price bracket and house type a buyer would have to do pretty well or get lucky to have bought during the '90 period before recovery in '91, or else see perhaps a 6-8% reduction during 92/3/4. That was exactly what I encountered at the time. There are only so many properties in your specific price/location/type available, if at all. As we know inflation masked real price drops during that period too. I bought elsewhere where there was better availability and was very happy with the outcome.

Moving to somewhere like Sale or Stretford where 3 bed semis are virtually a commodity item and with different demographics then I would tend to agree with you. The other micro-market which appears very vulnerable in Hale/Bowdon is the newbuild/redevelopments which as I pointed out above are either being shelved or for the most part remain on the market stubbonly at/near peak market prices. I'd expect as the year progresses we'll see some of these guys go bust/get repo'd (I'd rather not post builder names on here - but it's clear who is in that category) and that should see prices come down, although the strange thing is that with 20% average market falls, that doesn't seem to be reflected in prices. But no sales, no price discovery I guess. Very similar so far to 90-93 which is what I suspected would largely be the case. What is less clear to me is to what extent BOE will be able to get inflation back into the system, at what pace and over what timescale.

If a potential buyer hasn't sold their house then they're not a buyer. Demand is only demand if it's backed by the ability to pay, so again, until transactions increase there's little/no price discovery irrespective of what overall market prices are doing. A very strange set of circumstances certainly.

HOLA4411

I too would suggest renting for a while first.

Hale is a very attractive place, but it is bloody expensive! Always has been, always will be. In my view there are many places in the South Manchester area with similar attractions but offering much better value. Renting for a couple of years would allow you sus out where you would be happiest without making a commitment to an depreciating asset.

Red Kharma suggests Bramhall (AKA Debtors Retreat). Cheadle, Gatley, or Cheadle Hulme are other possibles that are a lot cheaper than Hale but still convenient for Altrincham.

I'd definitely be keeping my powder dry.

Edited by Mr Yogi

HOLA4412

Thanks to everyone for their insight and advice. Much appreciated.

I'm looking at Hale specifically because of the schools. After reseaching the various schools in the area, I'd like to be in the catchment area for WellGreen Primary on Briony Avenue and also (in a few years time) Altrincham Boys Grammar. So although I know I'll get more for my money away from Hale (Sale/Timperely/etc) I'm kinda constrained with the catchment area(s).

In terms of budget, I could stretch to about £270K I don't want to spend more than £250K. A few weeks ago I had a look at some houses around the Grove Lane & Delahays Road area just to get an idea of what the market was like. A couple of the houses were about £270-260K but they're too small or need work doing.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sa...on%26index%3D10

The 2 or 3 places I saw that fit the bill are closer to £300k or more. :angry:

I just installed Property Bee (cheers Friday!) and can see that there doesn't seem to be that much movement on prices. :angry:

I suspect it makes sense to hold fire for the time being.

HOLA4413

Have you STR, Red Kharma?

Not needing to sell of course doesn't protect anyone from notional asset price falls in a balance sheet sense, but unless you do have to sell during the period in question that is largely irrelevant. unless we enter a protracted period of deflation over many years, which I don't think is particularly credible.

I'm taking some time to think-on all the points you made in both posts. Not because I outright disagree with you, although I do lean to that deflation and Nomadd's outlook - but you made some good points which add to my uncertainty.

It is a limited view, but my younger brother mixes with quite a few of the Hale crowd, with a number who have parents with mid to top-end quality homes in Hale. In most instances the children doing alright for themselves on their own bat.

There is a lot of wealth in Hale and I haven't picked up any in-distress signals from the what appear to be the wealthier families that we know. Quite a number who fit what you've described, of not having to sell, with no signs of struggling for money at all.

Intelligent wealth often values money and profitable opportunity. What about the opportunity to sell into a falling market in the balance sheet sense - downsize or rent - and buy back in later at a cheaper value? You wouldn't do that if you didn't expect quality Hale homes to be available in fair number at lower prices in the future though. Not if you expected the majority of owners to not move significantly on asking price throughout the crash years, happy to wait till whenever the balance sheet value has recovered. Deaths and other circumstances might require properties to be sold for price discovery.

Many of the families I get some reports on at the top-end are unlikely to sell to follow my theory. They seem to be more like what you have outlined, or not needing to sell and not having to accept a £50K lower offer - except I doubt that can remain true for every quality home-owner in Hale.

HOLA4414
My bro-in-law's business partner is looking to buy in Hale at the moment (in fact he's been looking since late last year.) His budget is £1/1.5 mill. Problem is, he can't shift the nice 4 bed detached he's got in Knutsford. It's priced keenly - he's no fool to the reality of the property market, as it's where he made his fortune - but he's had absolutely no offers. And all the time this impasse carries on, the prices keep slipping.

Interesting info. I don't concentrate my searches on Rightmove for Hale alone, with quite a few searches in other areas of South Manchester / Cheshire (not fully decided on where I'll be buying yet). Unless it really is a property I've really focussed on, I rarely catch the remove and re-listing 5% higher.

Your brother-in-law; I understand it. Pricing keenly and hoping to get a buyer willing to pay near asking. There are a few such buyers out there; an associate of mine has just bought in February and the seller really got a result, with very near asking price.

He could sell though and quickly if he wanted to. Risk is though that wouldn't be able to get equivalent percentage drop in value on an upsize move... if RK theory will hold true during all of the crash.

HOLA4415

Property One: 13, Grove Lane, Hale. £259,950

That tall hedge. Is it Leylandii? It might be irrational but I fear those Leylandii wars, possibly awkward neighbours, blocking light and tough roots spreading and possibly doing damage.

Found the house-number on the photo of the front of the house, in the brochure. No data at houseprices.co.uk, but the data has the adjoining house, with what looks like a large garage or greenhouse, number 11:

08/09/2007

£215,000

11, Grove Lane, Hale, Altrincham, Greater Manchester, WA15 8JF

grovelanehale.jpg

===============================================

Property Two: 74, Grove Lane, Hale [2]. £269,500

House number in the brochure.

houseprices.co.uk

11/12/2000

£120,500

74, Grove Lane, Hale, Altrincham, Greater Manchester, WA15 8JG

With next-door (76) last selling on 14/10/2005 at £230,000.

Property Three: 43, Woburn Drive [between Hale & Hale Barns]. £315,000

The info at houseprices.co.uk shows this info for when it last sold and the price it went for:

19/12/2005

£280,000

43, Woburn Drive, Hale, Altrincham, Greater Manchester, WA15 8NA

Property Four: Delahays Road, Hale

[House number not found] Full postcode: WA15 8DT

I'm neutral about all those 4 properties. I'll risk RK's displeasure in that I believe homes at all levels in Hale will fall much further in value. What especially interests me is people seeking to cash-in on the credit-expansion which has pushed up the values of their homes to incredible levels, pay-off debt, or to add profits into their retirement funds.

Delahays Road, Hale. Brief Description changed: HOME SWAP AVAILABLE - If you have a smaller, lower value property with atleast 3 beds and are looking to move to something larger, then our client could be interested. Call
I just installed Property Bee (cheers Friday!) and can see that there doesn't seem to be that much movement on prices. :angry:

:)

HOLA4416

I'm looking at Hale specifically because of the schools. After reseaching the various schools in the area, I'd like to be in the catchment area for WellGreen Primary on Briony Avenue and also (in a few years time) Altrincham Boys Grammar. So although I know I'll get more for my money away from Hale (Sale/Timperely/etc) I'm kinda constrained with the catchment area(s).

I'd be interested if you looked at putting in offers? One or two of the properties you list have been on the market for quite sometime now - unsold, of course. It'd be nice to get some feedback from an active buyer.

My bro-in-law lived off Briony Ave about 20 years or so ago. The area is OK, but, TBH, it really falls more in the area of "nice Timperley" that I was taking of above. Yes, I know it has a Hale postcode and address, but it's quite some distance from Hale "proper", and hence the cheaper prices. A motorcycling mate of mine I used to go touring with lived on Grove Lane, and it was again OK. Not Hale "proper" once again, but yes the right postcode (Hale) to get you into the appropriate schools. These kinds of area are overpriced to me, at least going on the histories I know of the areas - too much trading on the "Hale" postcode, which pumps the prices up to levels which really aren't justifiable based on their real location. So tread carefully. Have a look at some Year 2000 sold data to get a good idea of how these prices have been jacked up by cheap credit - credit which of course has now gone. Still, there always seems to be a fair few of them up for rent, so that's the route I'd go.

Nomadd

HOLA4417
Risk is though that wouldn't be able to get equivalent percentage drop in value on an upsize move... if RK theory will hold true during all of the crash.

I'd say you are likely to see even better value on an upsize move. That's where most of the hits are at the moment:

£355k off and still no sale: http://www.home.co.uk/search/price_info.ht...perty=842492390

£300k off and still no sale: http://www.home.co.uk/search/price_info.ht...perty=833404434

£460k off, and still no sale: http://www.home.co.uk/search/price_info.ht...operty=91787197

£350k off and still no sale: http://www.home.co.uk/search/price_info.htm?property=9302523

£300k off and still no sale: http://www.home.co.uk/search/price_info.ht...perty=842503877

£550k off and still no sale: http://www.home.co.uk/search/price_info.ht...perty=522001744

£300k off and still no sale: http://www.home.co.uk/search/price_info.ht...perty=425122756

£300k off and still no sale: http://www.home.co.uk/search/price_info.ht...perty=716010211

I looked at this one last year and they wouldn't budge on the £1.2 million asking price. Now £250k off and still no sale: http://www.home.co.uk/search/price_info.ht...perty=515270047

And so on, and so on, and so on. Page after page of mutilple 100k chunks dropped off both old and new properties. The above is just a tiny selection. (NB. I chopped off anything in the £1.5 mill.+ bracket as that's out of my league, but the price drops there are in the £500k-600k bracket so far, with a long way to go, IMHO.)

On the long Wilmslow/Cheshire thread we had a year ago there were certain people who maintained prices would not fall as the area was "all old money, and those people don't need to sell." Once the price drops started, that line was changed to "well, it's just the new builds that are dropping." Clearly the evidence is showing otherwise. And remember, it's very early days yet. :):)

I'll stick to my line of last year and the firm belief that Hale/Bowden will tank hard over the next few years. That process was a long time in starting, but has now been under way for a good six months. The top to bottom falls will take 5 years as we all know, so I guess it's just a question of wait and see. In the interim, my money is staying firmly out of property. Other's are free to disagree. :):)

Nomadd

EDIT: Added more smiles, as I know that upsets certain people. :)

Edited by Nomadd

HOLA4418
I'd say you are likely to see even better value on an upsize move. That's where most of the hits are at the moment:

I'll tread the middle ground here. Those cuts in asking price for top-end properties are what I would expect to happen, has been happening, and will continue to happen.

Some of Red Kharma's points do make me uncertain. Especially the point that maybe many of the high-end property owners in the area, with lots of wealth beyond the value of their homes, wouldn't need or want to sell.

That wouldn't really matter so much if, like your examples show, a number of high-end properties which might tick all the boxes you're looking for, do become available, at a much lower asking price, or willing to accept much lower offers. Sellers chasing what little savings and harder to get jumbo-mortgage financing exist in the market.

High-end properties do have another problem. Twice today I've been contacted by old friends about any work that is going. For those who can, is the same level of appetite going to be there to use a lot of savings or take on bigger mortgages to acquire a top-end house at high-value? I see that as another heavy negative weight at the top part of the market. It seems even a Hale EA is trying to sell his home at around the £3 million mark to escape further falls.

My interest in the top-end having to lower asking prices and values falling, is so it puts price pressures on homes below, so I might eventually buy a fairly nice first home at around the £150K mark.

HOLA4419
High-end properties do have another problem. Twice today I've been contacted by old friends about any work that is going. For those who can, is the same level of appetite going to be there to use a lot of savings or take on bigger mortgages to acquire a top-end house at high-value? I see that as another heavy negative weight at the top part of the market. It seems even a Hale EA is trying to sell his home at around the £3 million mark to escape further falls.

Absolutely agree. Unemployment is a killer going forward. Most of the new work in my line of business (IT) is not in the UK. And that's not good for UK house prices. And you only have to look at the number of businesses in the UK going bust each week to see that even the "self made" men and women of this country are not immune from a downturn (in fact you could argue they are the most vulnerable.)

Many of the "older" folks I know are spending a small fortune trying to get their "kids" (i.e. anyone under the age of 30! :)) started in life. That's become a fairly large drain on their otherwise decent finances. And looking at the state of the country, I can't see things getting any better for that younger generation, so they are hardly likely to be flush with finance to sustain the high prices going forward.

The much tougher mortgage criteria and ultimately loan size offerings will also severely limit access to funds for the current and future generations. A bank would much rather take a few million in mortgage risk spread around a large number of smaller properties than a few large expensive places which always prove nigh impossible to shift in a downturn. Just look at the enormous deposits required to get anything approaching a half-decent mortgage rate these days. How many younger people going forward will have, say, £500k+ to dump down as their "40 percent" deposit? And let's not even get started on the governments higher-rate tax bands in the future...

Nope, I just don't see anything going forward that will support prices. The large drops of the last six months are just the wake-up call as far as I'm concerned. I may be wrong, of course, but we'll quickly see over the next couple of years whether the recent 15% falls are "reversed" or "compounded". I'm still going for compounded, and an overall drop in prices of 40% or so from Oct. 07 to the bottom. Time will tell.

All I will say is that by holding out for the last year, I saved myself at least £200k-300k on the type of property I'm looking for. Long may that continue. :)

Nomadd

Edited by Nomadd

HOLA4420
Guest theboltonfury

In terms of budget, I could stretch to about £270K I don't want to spend more than £250K. A few weeks ago I had a look at some houses around the Grove Lane & Delahays Road area just to get an idea of what the market was like. A couple of the houses were about £270-260K but they're too small or need work doing.

The 2 or 3 places I saw that fit the bill are closer to £300k or more. :angry:

DST - we are in exactly the same position. Renting round the corner from Hale for the past 2 years and hoping to buy in Hale. I kind of need to stay local as I have small local business. I keep hearing about the odd price reduction but all I'm seeing is either houses staying on for 18months and not shifting, or stuff comin gon in the 'still way overpriced' category. To buy in Hale, I think you're either going to need to get your wallet out or have a deal more patience. I've argues this before, IMO there are enough people in Hale living the image concious dream with every thing they own on HP to keep up with the genuinely rich folk round here. It only takes a few of these guys to have a repo sale and who knows where we may end up.

Let me know how you are getting on?

I used to live in Alti too, and it's not too bad at all, if you look about.

HOLA4421

I am a Sale boy born and bred and now live on the Alty / Hale border. Got to say it is great living round here and the missus (from down south) is well impressed. More or less everything you want on your doorstep (2 supermarkets, cinema, gym, big brand shops, and the cafe / bar / restaurant culture of Hale, airport, motorway links, Dunham on your doorstep, low crime etc etc). As for the property you are looking for, generally a 3 bed Hale house will sell for anything from £280K to £400K, most around the £350 mark though (try looking on the "Tree Streets" for an idea). As has already been said though, houses differ massively and even on the Tree Streets "similar" houses may differ by £100K+.

Prices ARE coming down and I have noticed a lot of larger properties coming on for "part exchange" - obviously people who have over stretched themseleves but cant bear to leave the area.

Halebarns is a funny area. Unless you are buying a £750K+ property I wouldnt consider it. Out of the way and almost too far a walk from Hale/Altrincham. No real shops or heart to it... The "affordable" houses are nothing special - probably the poshest council estate in the country.

Talking about the larger (£1M+) properties (and their affordibility in the current climate), another point to remember is it costs a lot to maintain these piles. I constantly see roofing / fencing / landscaping work going on that probably cost the same (if not more) than my (resepctable) annual wage. eg A friend of the family had his driveway paved for 60K recently...

Edited by monks

HOLA4422
Guest theboltonfury
I am a Sale boy born and bred and now live on the Alty / Hale border. Got to say it is great living round here and the missus (from down south) is well impressed. More or less everything you want on your doorstep (2 supermarkets, cinema, gym, big brand shops, and the cafe / bar / restaurant culture of Hale, airport, motorway links, Dunham on your doorstep, low crime etc etc). As for the property you are looking for, generally a 3 bed Hale house will sell for anything from £280K to £400K, most around the £350 mark though (try looking on the "Tree Streets" for an idea). As has already been said though, houses differ massively and even on the Tree Streets "similar" houses may differ by £100K+.

Prices ARE coming down and I have noticed a lot of larger properties coming on for "part exchange" - obviously people who have over stretched themseleves but cant bear to leave the area.

Halebarns is a funny area. Unless you are buying a £750K+ property I wouldnt consider it. Out of the way and almost too far a walk from Hale/Altrincham. No real shops or heart to it... The "affordable" houses are nothing special - probably the poshest council estate in the country.

Talking about the larger (£1M+) properties (and their affordibility in the current climate), another point to remember is it costs a lot to maintain these piles. I constantly see roofing / fencing / landscaping work going on that probably cost the same (if not more) than my (resepctable) annual wage. eg A friend of the family had his driveway paved for 60K recently...

You are so right about Hale Barns. That Co-op could easily be taken straight out of the Wythenshawe precinct.

I like Hale a lot, but am beginning to think is it really worth an extra 100k on a 3 bed just to live there? The same house in Alti would be probably 75k less at least

HOLA4423
I like Hale a lot, but am beginning to think is it really worth an extra 100k on a 3 bed just to live there? The same house in Alti would be probably 75k less at least

Its 75% snob factor, 25% "real issues" such as the practicalities of being down the road from the Hale "scene" and a bit less chav orientated crime. That's it really. Must admit that as the reality of not being able to afford a decent sized family home in Hale sinks in, I'm not too bothered about having to up sticks and move 1/2 mile down the road. Won't be able to afford a weekly banquet at Manzen anyway with a family... :lol:

HOLA4424

A few questions from someone who is relatively new to the area and probably doesn't appreciate the nuances of what is considered Hale "proper" and "wanabee" Hale.

Can some explain the perimeter roads of Hale proper? i.e. is it only the roads around the cafe/bars? What about further out like Hale Road towards Delahays Road, the estate where WellGreen Primary is situated and also Sandleigh Avenue/drive?

Is Halebarns the less prestigious brother of Hale? I've been down High Elm Road and it looks quite nice around there. Anyone live around there? Is it a pleasent place to live? How is Elm Ridge Primary considered?

HOLA4425
A few questions from someone who is relatively new to the area and probably doesn't appreciate the nuances of what is considered Hale "proper" and "wanabee" Hale.

Can some explain the perimeter roads of Hale proper? i.e. is it only the roads around the cafe/bars? What about further out like Hale Road towards Delahays Road, the estate where WellGreen Primary is situated and also Sandleigh Avenue/drive?

Is Halebarns the less prestigious brother of Hale? I've been down High Elm Road and it looks quite nice around there. Anyone live around there? Is it a pleasent place to live? How is Elm Ridge Primary considered?

Well, in my opinion, I'd say anything roundabouts Hale/Bowden centres and the South side of Hale road is Hale/Bowden "proper", but it's only a relative term (i.e. max snob appeal.) Think Park Rd, Ashley Rd, South Downs Rd, etc. Hale "lower" (to me at least) is North Side of Hale Rd (which is no different to decent Timperley, as far as I'm concerned) and the extreme Eastern edge of Hale, i.e. East of Delaheys Rd, Thorley Lane, etc. Now there's nothing wrong with these "cheaper" areas as such, but I don't think you can separate them from the best parts of Sale or Timperley; other's seem to disagree, but I think that's the snob-appeal of Hale talking more than commonsense. I think you can live in just as nice an area (i.e. Wood Rd/Thorley lane in Timperley) and see your money go a lot further. Problem is every time I say that the Hale "snobs" jump the thread! :) Delahays Drive has always appeared a strange one to me: it ain't cheap, but it isn't a "high end" location; I'd use that type of money to position myself better elsewhere. The extreme Western edge of Bowden is also cheaper. A bit "boxy/new build", but a lot cheaper than Bowden proper. TBH, just flick around Rightmove for a day or two and you'll soon get an idea of the best locations due to the large variations in property prices (for similar sized dwellings.) I'd also say: check the traffic. Hale Rd itself would be a no-no for me, and some of the surrounding roads can also end up being "cut throughs", so be careful.

I think Hale Barns also takes too much stick on here. Again, it's the Hale snobs who paint it all with the same brush. South of Hale road, and between Hale and Hale Barns, there are some nice roads with quite expensive properties. If you want something a little quieter and away from Hale centre - which can be a pain at the weekend nighttime if you are a resident, then I think it offers a nice alternative. The Eastern side of Hale Barns out towards the motorway is cheaper, but I guess that's more because of the motorway and airport noise. Again, if you are renting, it's certainly worth a shot; not sure I'd buy that far out though.

TBH, I'd follow the advice I gave earlier in the thread and just rent; that will give you a good chance to look around and make up your own mind. And let the house prices drop further.. I worked in Knutsford last year (and the year before) and commuted via the motorway, through Hale/Hale Barns/Alty, and other routes depending on the traffic. It's never took me more than 30 minutes to get to Sale when I was popping to my mum's house for tea. In other words, unless you really, really must be right up the chuff of a particular Bar/Pub/Restaurant in Hale, you have lot's of choices and a still short commute to work. :)

Nomadd