House Price Crash Forum

Soldiers Stand By To Drive Petrol Tankers As Part Of Contingency Plans To Stop A Strike Plunging Britain Into Chaos

HOLA441
  • Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Despite all the wittering on this site and elsewhere I understand a tanker driver would need to do a 60 hour week to clear the £44.000 I see widely quoted.

Apparently the Tesco drivers are among the best paid and their wage is just under £16 per hour which for a 40 hour week would give you £640. Over a year that works out about £33.000. That is not bad money but is still shy of the 40% tax band by about £8-9,000. Certainly, not the sort of earnings the twats in financial sector were raking in while they bankrupted the country..

...the Labour government bankrupted the country ...the rest including the public were pawns for Gordo Clown to manipulate...... :rolleyes:

HOLA445

Although the queues had gone the petrol stations were still serving petrol. I think it was to do with the union saying they wouldn't be going on strike until after easter. Even the government said today that there's no need right now for motorists to fill up.

...I started topping up when I first heard about the strike before Government pronouncements ...and will continue....only the feckless await for government guidelines on such issues ...nanny state mentality .....it's an easy media wind up....would you trust the unions not to go ON strike...?... :rolleyes:

HOLA446

...I started topping up when I first heard about the strike before Government pronouncements ...and will continue....only the feckless await for government guidelines on such issues ...nanny state mentality .....it's an easy media wind up....would you trust the unions not to go ON strike...?... :rolleyes:

It was almost a laugh the way things suddenly changed overnight.

It was as if Freddie Starr the "he ate my hamster" comedian had done his cut the applause gesture - applaud/don't applaud/applaud/don't applaud. Panic/don't panic/panic/don't panic.

HOLA447

It was almost a laugh the way things suddenly changed overnight.

It was as if Freddie Starr the "he ate my hamster" comedian had done his cut the applause gesture - applaud/don't applaud/applaud/don't applaud. Panic/don't panic/panic/don't panic.

...that is why you have to make up your own mind....and taking precautions is not panic..... :rolleyes:

HOLA448
HOLA449

Such pre-emptive positive action deserves true praise........

You will be able to drive around all the supermarkets in the search for food whilst everyone else is stuck at home hungry.

With the just in time delivery policy at all our major supermarkets they only hold about a days worth of stock relying on many deliveries a day via the automated ordering system.

A fuel shortage is much more than whether you have enough fuel to get to work or not, it would affect the very fundamentals. It for key workers like Doctors and Nurses in the NHS, police, prison officers and food delivery drivers to name just a few to which the army will be deployed to ensure they at least are able to buy fuel. Trouble is there is a doubt they have even enough to manage this.

There is a huge tip in here somewhere for when any lengthy strike starts!! ;)

HOLA4410

Agreed. I bought one weeks worth of food (which is not a lot i know) as i truly don't trust the different supply chains. If people knew how much strikes in france affect stuff getting here i think people would panick more. Imagine not just one "event" but several playing in tandem. We truly are vulnerable.

HOLA4411

Such pre-emptive positive action deserves true praise........

You will be able to drive around all the supermarkets in the search for food whilst everyone else is stuck at home hungry.

With the just in time delivery policy at all our major supermarkets they only hold about a days worth of stock relying on many deliveries a day via the automated ordering system.

A fuel shortage is much more than whether you have enough fuel to get to work or not, it would affect the very fundamentals. It for key workers like Doctors and Nurses in the NHS, police, prison officers and food delivery drivers to name just a few to which the army will be deployed to ensure they at least are able to buy fuel. Trouble is there is a doubt they have even enough to manage this.

There is a huge tip in here somewhere for when any lengthy strike starts!! ;)

:rolleyes:

I think people on here spend a bit too much time worrying about / looking forward to "The End Of The World"

There's a world of difference between a bit of inconvenience and the "everyone stuck at home hungry". If not being able to use your car for a day or two is a disaster i think you need to think a bit more deeply about your life

IMHO being prepared is NOT about about topping up your car every day (how much is your time worth)

I prefer living within walking distance of shops / supermarkets. Quick convenient public transport options. And a comfortable home with decent cable broadband from which i can call the office and "work from home"

PS Talking of REAL disasters:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/08/automobiles/08JAPAN.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all

I was also amused by an advert for the Nissan Leaf in the sunday times today: "Join the queue for the car of the future not the fuel of the past"

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

I think people on here spend a bit too much time worrying about / looking forward to "The End Of The World"

There's a world of difference between a bit of inconvenience and the "everyone stuck at home hungry". If not being able to use your car for a day or two is a disaster i think you need to think a bit more deeply about your life

IMHO being prepared is NOT about about topping up your car every day (how much is your time worth)

I prefer living within walking distance of shops / supermarkets. Quick convenient public transport options. And a comfortable home with decent cable broadband from which i can call the office and "work from home"

I was also amused by an advert for the Nissan Leaf in the sunday times today: "Join the queue for the car of the future not the fuel of the past"

You can take your chances walking to the local supermarket and trying to reason with the same eejits who've acted in the run on fuel but I would prefer to have enough at home so as not to have to go shopping with them for a week or so.

That's my idea of being prepared.

HOLA4414

Do you really think you'll be the only one who decides to stroll down the local shops? How long before other people start buying a bit more 'just in case' because they see everyone else is? How will the shops be restocked? There would be looting and riots within hours.

Apart from the Police (who supposedly can't strike) I can't think of any other single trade or service that would cause as much potential chaos and disruption as the tanker drivers / fuel delivery infra structure could cause with just a few days of striking. I can't blame the govt for readying the army drivers to step in -

Maybe this debacle has been designed to demonstrate this, and to ensure whole hearted public support for breaking the strike (when they'll inevitably have to) in a very swift and decisive fashion without stirring up too many 'unhelpful' comparisons to Thatcher and her miners? (I'm sure the extra Q1 revenue and increasing stocks held by drivers were also a bonus).

• 3 weeks later...
HOLA4415

Archived