Crackdown On Motorway Drivers Who Clog Up The Middle Lane

HOLA441
  • Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Brilliant! About time someone did something about 'middle lane morons' who make motorway driving more of a hassle for everyone else, even if the motive is most likely more about revenue generation than promoting good driving standards.

On a completely empty motorway, usually late at night, I always drive in the middle lane as an extra safety measure in case I get a tyre blow-out. I guess I'll have to stop that now or some eager bobby is likely to sting me for a hundred quid.

Here in France tailgating has evolved into an art form. One foot from your back bumper with lights flashing madly is the norm if a "Racing Frog" wants to get by, even if you're already overtaking a lorry and are doing 140KPH in a 130 limit.

HOLA445
HOLA446

Yep agree. I believe this 'I'm more correct than you' mentality that causes some lane nazis to almost chop the front off of someone who dawdles in the middle lane (in the name of safety I might add?) is a British peculiarity. The population is so oppressed, so weighed down by rules and regulations and uniformed idiots with power complexes that eventually they just turn into an extension of the police state themselves and tut tut at everyone else for breaking any 'rule' regardless of whether it makes any sense.

I used to get regularly cut-up for driving in the middle lane, which I did in my first few months of motorway driving because I wasn't a confident driver and would struggle with overtaking on such a fast road. No problem now obviously but have any of these twats who swerve in to make their "safety" point thought that they might not be helping?

If the issue is efficient use of road space they should allow overtaking on either side, as they do in the us. But it's not of course, it's some antiquated nonsense that makes no sense with traffic volumes and road conditions as they are these days and just another revenue raiser.

Anyone supporting this is the enemy!

More seriously, there are perfectly acceptable reasons to stay in the middle lane the most obvious of which is the road condition of the left hand lane. You will find 'tram lines', indentations caused by many heavy lorries over the years in that lane and depending on the separation and tire width of your vehicle and whether you are towing anything these can be downright dangerous to drive in. Or rather dip in and out of which is usually what happens.

If someone is in the middle lane overtake them. It's not hard. The traffic police as ever can do one.

Undertaking is he way forward. Sometimes in the US I've found the slow lane to be the middle lane, the inside lane remains the fast lane, and the outside the next fastest and for joining / leaving.

HOLA447

Undertaking is he way forward. Sometimes in the US I've found the slow lane to be the middle lane, the inside lane remains the fast lane, and the outside the next fastest and for joining / leaving.

Makes sense to me, why have the UK not considered or done this yet ?

HOLA448

While in rant mode - why do crap overtakers feel the need to come into your lane like 5 metres ahead of you? That means I have to slow down and everyone behind me. He could just come in say, 50 metres ahead. maybe. no?

penisheads.

HOLA449

While in rant mode - why do crap overtakers feel the need to come into your lane like 5 metres ahead of you? That means I have to slow down and everyone behind me. He could just come in say, 50 metres ahead. maybe. no?

penisheads.

In France they do it before the "Racing Frog" behind loses it completely and rams them.

HOLA4410

Phew not just me then. I was expecting a "BURN THE HERETIC".

I think we're in the minority. I favour getting along with folks, giving people the benefit of the doubt, being pragmatic, keeping things in perspective. Rare traits on uk roads.

Often you'll see a lane rule looney swerving across the 3 or 4 lanes just to fill the empty space to their left, bouncing in and out usually quite violently at 80 to 90. Meanwhile Im sat behind them quite possibly with an empty lane to my left but with no-one behind me so what difference does it make? And you can see them getting all hot headed in there, perhaps cursing me for my bad driving as they swerve unnecessarily left and right all over the road, I think they expect met to be impressed? Im never quite sure. It's certainly amusing to watch so if that's anyone reading thanks for the entertainment.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Yep agree. (...)

+ 2

I believe this 'I'm more correct than you' mentality that causes some lane nazis to almost chop the front off of someone who dawdles in the middle lane (in the name of safety I might add?) is a British peculiarity. The population is so oppressed, so weighed down by rules and regulations and uniformed idiots with power complexes that eventually they just turn into an extension of the police state themselves and tut tut at everyone else for breaking any 'rule' regardless of whether it makes any sense.

(...)

Great post.

Though like I wrote above, I think only if one is driving at the speed limit it's justified to stay in the middle-lane. Just a couple of miles/hour below 70 and I start to switch sides, and by 65 MPH I would have completely turned into a full lane nazi. :D

HOLA4414

I agree with undertaking. It works great in the US, I can't see why people aren't allowed it here.

And definitely a hefty punishment for tailgating. This is far more dangerous than speeding.

HOLA4415

Just heard on BBC News that the fine for not wearing a seatbelt is going up. Now that's a law that really gets my goat, "it's for your own good" said the annoying "bobby on a bike" who admonished me for not having my seatbelt properly buckled up :rolleyes:.

Fully agree. Like motorcycle helmets. The driver should be allowed to decide, though they should also lose the right to free NHS care.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

I agree with undertaking. It works great in the US, I can't see why people aren't allowed it here.

And definitely a hefty punishment for tailgating. This is far more dangerous than speeding.

Thats because unneccessary lane changing is illegal in the US...they stay in lane...therefore undertaking is not an issue.

Just heard a berk on R4 talking about how safe he was in the middle lane and he cant see a problem....oblivious danger incarnate.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Fully agree. Like motorcycle helmets. The driver should be allowed to decide, though they should also lose the right to free NHS care.

It's even more stark than that. Other road users have been decimated since the introduction of seat belts. See John Adams' work.

HOLA4420

I think we're in the minority. I favour getting along with folks, giving people the benefit of the doubt, being pragmatic, keeping things in perspective. Rare traits on uk roads.

Often you'll see a lane rule looney swerving across the 3 or 4 lanes just to fill the empty space to their left, bouncing in and out usually quite violently at 80 to 90. Meanwhile Im sat behind them quite possibly with an empty lane to my left but with no-one behind me so what difference does it make? And you can see them getting all hot headed in there, perhaps cursing me for my bad driving as they swerve unnecessarily left and right all over the road, I think they expect met to be impressed? Im never quite sure. It's certainly amusing to watch so if that's anyone reading thanks for the entertainment.

Always nice to catch them on the hop behind a lorry...

HOLA4421

I used to get regularly cut-up for driving in the middle lane, which I did in my first few months of motorway driving because I wasn't a confident driver and would struggle with overtaking on such a fast road. No problem now obviously but have any of these twats who swerve in to make their "safety" point thought that they might not be helping?

That is the same in Canada with every lane doing its own thing.

HOLA4422

On a completely empty motorway, usually late at night, I always drive in the middle lane as an extra safety measure in case I get a tyre blow-out. I guess I'll have to stop that now or some eager bobby is likely to sting me for a hundred quid.

If the motorway is actually completely empty, shouldn't be anyone around to ticket you.

Of course, if you're that worried about blowouts then maybe you should just drive at something like 50mph max to be on the safe side.

HOLA4423

In France they do it before the "Racing Frog" behind loses it completely and rams them.

I have been with a friend, a decade ago, searching French scrap yards for a pair of LHD headlamps for a RHD Rover, we came across 20 or so suitable vehicles, however all of them had big front enders. It was rare to see an old French car that had died naturally.

HOLA4424

Makes sense to me, why have the UK not considered or done this yet ?

Because in the US sliproads come come onto the freeway from either side, In the UK they only come on from the left.

Personally I hate pillocks that sit in the middle lane with nothing around them forcing quicker motorists across three lanes to obey the highway code.

HOLA4425

Because in the US sliproads come come onto the freeway from either side, In the UK they only come on from the left.

Personally I hate pillocks that sit in the middle lane with nothing around them forcing quicker motorists across three lanes to obey the highway code.

In theory, if you are already in lane one (often incorrectly referred to as 'the slow lane') then you can continue in that lane past the middle-lane-hogging-idiot and it's not classified as 'under-taking'.

Wouldn't like to bet on whether or not a random nearby police car would see it that way though, leading to time and money to get it sorted if they decided to prosecute.

Archived