House Price Crash Forum

FUKUSHIMA earthquake and tsunami thread and aftermath

geezer466

HOLA441

Unfortunately this initial news looks as if it will get worse as the day goes on. It would be nice if for only one day all on this forum and any other forum thought about these poor sods rather than our usual moans and groans about how fair life is...

+1

The more footage that is shown, the worse this appears to be.

A horrible natural disaster and a great loss of life.

Just hope things don't turn out to be equally bad in other countries that the tsunami will impact...

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Well it BBC online and the continuous 24 news. The reporter said whirlpool caused by an obstruction underwater. ;)

It wasnt a reporter, it was a phoned in "expert" giving his opinion.

Like when you watch F1 on the telly, and a wheel has come off the car, and the commentator says, he thinks there may be a problem with the steering...its like they arent even watching the pictures.

The whirlpool was contained in a area with a long spit going out to sea and the current was clearly going with the diversion of this spit...hence the whirlpool.

and he definately refered to GW.

HOLA443
HOLA444

5 nuclear power stations have automatically scrammed , one is possibly on fire , no leaks reported

The fire is in the turbine hall outside the pressure vessel

Japans biggest refinary has started to burn ...Ichihara

701580.jpg

Two of the LPG storage tanks have already burnt out (bottom right spherical tanks) the rest around are venting

This could possibly make Buncefield look like a small firecracker

The economic knock on is going to be massive , Airport ,steel works, even Walt Disney damaged ......power and fuel , Japan s power cables are not buried

Large scale loss of life from the looks of it

Edited by Tankus

HOLA445

It wasnt a reporter, it was a phoned in "expert" giving his opinion.

Like when you watch F1 on the telly, and a wheel has come off the car, and the commentator says, he thinks there may be a problem with the steering...its like they arent even watching the pictures.

The whirlpool was contained in a area with a long spit going out to sea and the current was clearly going with the diversion of this spit...hence the whirlpool.

and he definately refered to GW.

Ok - so the guy was an idiot

HOLA446

The quake was close to Japan, and they had about 1 hour to prepare for the tsunami. Fortunately, with the warning system in place since the indonesian disaster, other places will have time to prepare. Russia has evacuated some parts of Salakhin Island; Oz and NZ have time to prepare. Poorer places like the Phillipines are perhaps not so well placed to avoid harm to people.

In most places, the damage will be to infrastructure, and I doubt there will be much loss of life, if any. Japan and the Phillipines look like the vulnerable places.

A tsunami is biggest when there is vertical displacement of the sea bed by a quake. Out at sea, it is barely noticable, and perhaps only inches high. When it meets shallow water, it slows down and builds up. In the case of Hawaii, there isn't much shallow water, so I doubt the wave would be high.

Some people on this site seem to almost relish anticipating the destruction they think will happen.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

Watching the BBC for info showed a bit of damage then went to some guy complaining about Weatherspoons profits then something about a probe into fertility treatment.

The BBC has imo lost all sense of News and is nothing more now than a bunch of left wing University drop-out kids having a good time at our expense.

looks like there is worse to come God help everyone out there just seen the space station image of the seas swirling around like some giant whirlpool

HOLA4411

I can't help but think that if I were going to be anywhere in the world and have a 8.9 earthquake happen near me, I would prefer to be in Japan.

Not China, where the government said of an earlier earthquake 'Well, only 1 or 2 million dead is not so much when you think of our large population'.

Not the US, where Katrina showed the social chaos and depravity that lurks close beneath the veneeer of American life.

Not, god help me, Haiti, but then again I might not even notice there had been a disaster.

And definitely not the UK, where it would be blamed on the Coalition/previous Labour government (take your pick) and every VI in the country would be saying 'NOW is a good time to buy'.

HOLA4412

Watching the BBC for info showed a bit of damage then went to some guy complaining about Weatherspoons profits then something about a probe into fertility treatment.

The BBC has imo lost all sense of News and is nothing more now than a bunch of left wing University drop-out kids having a good time at our expense.

Unless they have more footage or actual news it just makes it boring as hell to watch.

HOLA4413

Mrs RnR trying to contact the relatives out there as I type...

Yeah my wife's been talking to her father (Shiga Ken) and they were watch the same TV...TBS live on Youtube.

Level 3 in shiga on the Japanese scale.

The Yen is UP 1.3%...why's that? Maybe money going back for rebuilding?

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Unless they have more footage or actual news it just makes it boring as hell to watch.

There are many thousands of people in the UK that have relatives friends in the area and others millions maybe who are glued to watching this unfold, anyway just checked in on the BBC now harping on about Mini roundabouts now .

Enjoy

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

There are many thousands of people in the UK that have relatives friends in the area and others millions maybe who are glued to watching this unfold, anyway just checked in on the BBC now harping on about Mini roundabouts now .

Enjoy

Perhaps you should consider watching BBC news 24 for main coverage on this subject

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Perhaps you should consider watching BBC news 24 for main coverage on this subject

No Chance, got Sky on now excellent coverages Im done with the BBC just like seeing how they still operate to the audience they still enjoy.

This is a real disaster make no mistake about it and its still happening

Edited by papag

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Yeah, Japanese insurance companies will liquidate large amounts of overseas assets to pay for this

Early days yet, not sure if this will be more damaging than Kobe, but could the Japanese quickly liquidate all that US Debt /T Bills they own if they need vast amounts of cash for rebuilding?

Edited by skomer