House Price Crash Forum

If Owning A Property Means Stability And Getting On With Life

HOLA441

As per title.

Apparently, ownership means you can get on with your life, while renting, for some reason, means you are in limbo.

yet people seem to move all the time.

are these housing ladder climbers getting on with their lives?

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

As per title.

Apparently, ownership means you can get on with your life, while renting, for some reason, means you are in limbo.

Not anymore it doesn't. ;)

HOLA446
HOLA447

As per title.

This is perhaps not always the case. Such as people with longer term plans to leave the UK , as we had. We were in limbo until we were able to finally sell our own property and move into rented, and therefore in a position to move forward with our lives.

Also, as many posters say, ownership is not the same as having a mortgage round your neck. Many people who finally become owners will find that they don´t have that much life left to be getting on with.

HOLA448
HOLA449

As per title.

The crucial word there is can. That might involve moving.

The contrast is indeed living in limbo, which has been the only alternative in the UK for most people, for most of living memory.

Today's rental market is far from ideal, but is on the way to offering a real alternative for the masses.

HOLA4410

They run out of room.

The space gets too big for them.

They want to be near family.

They don't want to be near family.

therefore, maybe, moving IS getting on with your life.

renting is by far the cheapest way to keep moving...or if you choose your landlord carefully, staying in one place.

HOLA4411

I've bought recently (cash purchase) entirely due to deteriorating health. Try living in privately rented property with a disability, near impossible to make adaptations.So for me yes, I hope the purchase will give me and my family some stability.

If I didn't have health problems I wouldn't be buying in this country, I would be taking my skills elsewhere.

HOLA4412

I've bought recently (cash purchase) entirely due to deteriorating health. Try living in privately rented property with a disability, near impossible to make adaptations.So for me yes, I hope the purchase will give me and my family some stability.

If I didn't have health problems I wouldn't be buying in this country, I would be taking my skills elsewhere.

lets hope life will be getting easier for you.

Im sure you, and others, realise that individual special cases are not the reason for my question.

HOLA4413

But how is your life on hold?

I live in rented and I'm still working, I'm pushing for promotion. My g/f has found a new job and we were able to move closer to her new work with ease. I csn go on holiday if I choose. I don't understand what part of my life is on hold

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Main driver for me is having a decent place to live in retirement, in a community broadly of my choosing, rent free because it's paid for, and without being at the mercy of the pathetic tenant-unfriendly rental system we have here.

This is one of the things that's driving me to look at the moment and even to make the occasional offer, but if I was 10 or 20 years younger I would be sitting it out, no question.

Of course buying is it's far from fool-proof as a 'getting on with life' strategy' as millions of people in negative equity or with little equity and stuck on interest only loan have found - ranging from the most recent generation of FTBs through to people with growing families - there is no 'ladder', at the moment at least.

HOLA4417

Could it be that the "get on with your life" meme is another pot of VI bulls*** intended to convince the unwitting to part with their money?

The other VI ******** line is that you need to "get on the ladder" so that you own your house before you retire. We are retired, "getting on with our lives" and happily renting :D.

HOLA4418
Guest tbatst2000

As per title.

It would be interesting to see the comparable stats - i.e. average number of moves per year for renters vs. owner occupiers. I would speculate that owner occupiers move far less often, but that could be partly down to the hassle of buying and selling. Having said that, I suspect I agree with the point of your post which I think is that people raise this great totem of house ownership as a prerequisite to stability and happiness and then, once they've achieved it, realize that it doesn't make a whole lot of difference. A bit like people that spend their lives saying how much happier they would be if only they could emigrate to such and such a country only to find that they're just as miserable once they move there.

HOLA4419

This is a subjective issue rather than an objective on.

It's a bit like target fixation for fighter pilots.

Some people believe that owning their own house is ticking one of the box on the life stages. They don't feel their life is progressing (get married-own house-have kids etc) unless they tick the boxes. This of course is a psychological issue. A lot of people get fixated on things like this. That somehow that when they get what they are hoping for somehow life will suddenly dramitically improve. There is a similar issue with cosmetic surgery. I have no doubt that for some people when they get their house their life will improve, but it's more due to a change in their attitude than the fact that owning a house has somehow dramatically improved their life quality.

A second issue is that for nearly all people owning a house and making the commitment to have a mortgage is a big jump. Some people want/need for someone to push them, or need to make excuses/rationales for making their decision. They take comfort in saying like "own a house and your life will move on" - it's another way of vindicating their purchase.

To me in general their is no requirement to own property. Maybe some people with kids argue they need "stability" but some of the best grounded kids I've seen have grown up with expat parents that move from country to country. Forces kids often have varied an rich lifestyles because of their movement between different places. Kids are adapatable. In general its the parents who are not, and need to make excuses, probably again most of the time to allay their own fears rather than anything else.

Pressure from relatives parents can also be another issue.

Ultimately if you want the best deal you have to wait. Probably best to be happy and comfortable in your waiting, because for things like a HPC you could be waiting a long time. Maybe we should have a poll to see who the record waiter is !

HOLA4420
Guest tbatst2000

I read that the average tine that owner occupiers live in a house is about six years, the time we'll have been in our rented house when the current contract expires next year.

It's relatively unusual for people to stay in a rented house on as AST for that long from what I've seen. Best I managed before buying was 3 years - I would have stayed longer but the landlord went bust and had to sell.

HOLA4421
Guest tbatst2000

some of the best grounded kids I've seen have grown up with expat parents that move from country to country.

That's very true. On the other side, some of the downright craziest people I've met grew up that way. I think it's a lifestyle that can bring out the extremes in people!

HOLA4422

This is a subjective issue rather than an objective on.

It's a bit like target fixation for fighter pilots.

Some people believe that owning their own house is ticking one of the box on the life stages. They don't feel their life is progressing (get married-own house-have kids etc) unless they tick the boxes. This of course is a psychological issue. A lot of people get fixated on things like this. That somehow that when they get what they are hoping for somehow life will suddenly dramitically improve. There is a similar issue with cosmetic surgery. I have no doubt that for some people when they get their house their life will improve, but it's more due to a change in their attitude than the fact that owning a house has somehow dramatically improved their life quality.

A second issue is that for nearly all people owning a house and making the commitment to have a mortgage is a big jump. Some people want/need for someone to push them, or need to make excuses/rationales for making their decision. They take comfort in saying like "own a house and your life will move on" - it's another way of vindicating their purchase.

To me in general their is no requirement to own property. Maybe some people with kids argue they need "stability" but some of the best grounded kids I've seen have grown up with expat parents that move from country to country. Forces kids often have varied an rich lifestyles because of their movement between different places. Kids are adapatable. In general its the parents who are not, and need to make excuses, probably again most of the time to allay their own fears rather than anything else.

Pressure from relatives parents can also be another issue.

Ultimately if you want the best deal you have to wait. Probably best to be happy and comfortable in your waiting, because for things like a HPC you could be waiting a long time. Maybe we should have a poll to see who the record waiter is !

....there is far too much pressure put on people to buy a place, it is as if you don't reach certain life targets by a certain time you have failed in the eyes of others.....like getting a degree, good job, married, house,family......what for? there is no right way to live a life as long as you don't hurt others.....a life is for living your way, not the way others expect and demand from you.......renting is good, all depending. ;)

HOLA4423

....there is far too much pressure put on people to buy a place, it is as if you don't reach certain life targets by a certain time you have failed in the eyes of others.....like getting a degree, good job, married, house,family......what for? there is no right way to live a life as long as you don't hurt others.....a life is for living your way, not the way others expect and demand from you.......renting is good, all depending. ;)

Having a mortgage, having kids, career, etc is all part of social conditioning...It's easier to control others with the same mindset...It's also what people expect of others...they don't understand that quite a number of people don't want all that...

HOLA4424
Guest tbatst2000

they

When I was a little kid I remember my gran saying 'they wouldn't allow that' and asking her who 'they' were. I never got a satisfactory answer.

HOLA4425

Having a mortgage, having kids, career, etc is all part of social conditioning...It's easier to control others with the same mindset...It's also what people expect of others...they don't understand that quite a number of people don't want all that...

Quite......when you are tied too tightly, you are easier to control......a worker with many responsibilities is easier to manipulate......we are all different, takes all sorts to make the world go around. ;)