House Price Crash Forum

What Make You View A Property

niksimms

HOLA441
Ok, but this is the sort of thing you want to know before you even go to view.

I only know of one EA (an independent) that invariably gives exact length of lease, current maintenance/service charges, and council tax band.

This EA also gives the full postal address, so you can check it on nethouseprices ;)

Their blurbs are highly literate, too.

They're not too good at getting their vendors to drop prices, but one can't have everything.

To be honest not many people do want this information before they view. You are obviously more informed than most buyers. Most buyers find a flat they like and leave the solicitor to find out all the details. I see where you are coming from because the amount you are willing to pay for a flat must be based on how much the service charge is per month, so you can add the mortgage to the service charge figure to see what your monthly payments are. Most clients are thick though and most flat buyers (not all by any means) are young and quite often dont even know what service charge is.

HOLA442

Personally ,I detest the "offers in excess of " bit . I would rather the vendor just put the asking price and have done with it .

Floor plans are usefull ,but why do so many houses on "Rightmove" not have a picture of the garden on it ? The main selling point with me is the garden . If it's small , then I won't buy . End of story . I imagine some EA's believ that I (and those like me) will be so taken with the house ,that I will forget about the garden . Not so !!

So ,if you wanted me to go and view , enclose a pic of the garden ,and ,aproximate size .

Sorry to rant ,but it really gets up my nose !

Ok

Rant over

HOLA443
Personally ,I detest the "offers in excess of " bit . I would rather the vendor just put the asking price and have done with it .

Floor plans are usefull ,but why do so many houses on "Rightmove" not have a picture of the garden on it ? The main selling point with me is the garden . If it's small , then I won't buy . End of story . I imagine some EA's believ that I (and those like me) will be so taken with the house ,that I will forget about the garden . Not so !!

So ,if you wanted me to go and view , enclose a pic of the garden ,and ,aproximate size .

Sorry to rant ,but it really gets up my nose !

Ok

Rant over

I agree, about the garden, I am sure they used to put the measurements of the garden on the particulars. I hate it when they just say "Gardens". I also look for a large garden and would not visit a house with a garden that is all concrete.

HOLA444
  • 4 weeks later...
HOLA445
  • 2 weeks later...
HOLA446
  • 4 months later...
HOLA447
I have an house valued at £165,000

What would make people view the property.

Do I put £165,000 and get no viewings

Do I put 'In the region of £160,000' or

Do I put 'In excess of £145,000'

Will the 'In excess' thing make you view the property?

Cheers

Nik

Why don't you put what the price its really worth ? Or at least put the price you want instead of trying to con potential buyers into seeing your price ?

If you put the true value, which is probably more like £60,000, then you'll have a lot more traffic trough the house.

• 1 month later...
HOLA448

I start with price (100K above my actual limit) and then search rightmove on a 10 mile radius from my optimal location. That pulls up everything within cycling range to work. If I can't get there by bike I'm not interested, not with the absence of parking and the nightmare that is driving around these parts.

Then I look at the pictures of the house, outside and in. More photos not less, like others if I can't see any interior photos I'm probably going to stop there as something is being hidden. Some agents don't include floorplans, I'm unlikely to look at their properties - I know layouts that work for me and those that don't and I've seen enough places that were hopeless that I'm not wasting my time on ones where I can't see beforehand that the layout is likely to work for me.

Then there are the room sizes, if they don't give me imperial measurements I can't estimate the size accurately. If the house is otherwise interesting enough I'll convert the measurements, but it annoys me - the agent should just include that information as a matter of course. Then I look at the map, is it on a main road? If so, count me out. There's got to be a decent sized garden as well. They rarely mention it, but if its a north facing one that's also a turn off.

If all of that works I'll go and look at ones in my price range fairly quickly. Ones that are significantly above my bracket I'll keep an eye on - often they flip from sold/under offer back to available and if they start to drop their asking price I will go and have a sniff.

• 1 year later...
HOLA449