House Price Crash Forum

Housing Benefit Cap Forces Families To Leave Central London Or Be Homeless

HOLA441

I can see this argument; just I doubt it will make any difference to rent levels.

Incidentally, is there a time scale involved? Someone who is recently out of work and on HB may find it easier to get work if they stay where they are (where they have contacts and know the area). If they are moved out to Corby or Croydon, they may find it harder to get work?

That is why when push comes to shove.... people will have to be given time and a chance to make up any extra themselves. ;)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Not Theory,Fact

http://www.channel4....half-of-england

Only affordable if you are on full Housing benefit. The government know this are are tackling it.

its unaffordable but they are still paying it, there is a difference between being unaffordable and paying and not being able to pay.

and a lot of homes do go to immigrants and asylum seeks but there is a trick, asylum seekers seek residency in the UK and therefor are uk residents and therefore not classed as immigrants in housing stats, i'd like to see how many council homes go to British Born citizens.

Edited by crash2006

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

Please tell me what this difference is.

Simple look at credit cards debt, i can't afford it so i borrow to afford it, same as i can't pay so i shift money from other items to become affordable.And this is why UK is going to really fall apart.

Uncontrolled immigration has always destroy nations, rome is a prime example.

Edited by crash2006

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Social housing is the UK or more particularly London's big problem, the old "If you can't afford it then you don't deserve to live here" argument falls down when you actually need to get things done at a basic level

In the early 2000 I stayed in Bracknell which because of the computer industry property and rentals had gone through the roof; there where constant moans in the press and employers generally that people were unable to fill posts for the more ordinary jobs including police and the other emergency services because it was simply not possible for someone on an ordinary wage to live or commute there.

Only if you want to be able to opt out of market forces for one thing, but rely on them for another.

You either have rent controls across the board, or you pay local market rates for staff.

If staff need to travel for 2 hours to get to work, you need to pay enough to attract them in, or if you want local staff you have to pay enough that they can live locally.

Alternatively you could go the feudal route, and make sure that in exchange for labour you give them housing as well as pay, but that opens all sorts of tax issues, not to mention ones around freedom of labour.

HOLA4412

...doing a search for rented property in London there are stacks of it available.....what is wrong with what is already out there out of interest? ;)

There can be no doubt at all: Rents in London & area around are a complete JOKE. I wonder how many people there are out there who live miserable lives - unable to do anything at all except work - and spend the rest of their time in their tiny. cramped flats.

I reckon there are MILLIONS -- & MILLIONS of people doing this ----- and it DID NOT HAVE TO HAPPEN like that ---

But stupid, idiotic, UNSUSTAINABLE & MORONIC house "prices" and rents have been fraudulently and artificially ramped up for many years now --- and the result to the SILENT MAJORITY is near-catastrophic.

I will never relent --- it is the Great Elephant in the Room --- essentially right across the UK ----

Peoples' lives are being F*CKED UP by the massive VI RAMPING that has been endemic for over a decade.

HOLA4413

I live in zone 1 and I know quite a few people who work in sub-20k jobs eg bar workers, shop workers etc. They can afford it (just) because they live in what is known as social housing. I'm not sure that if you moved them out, that professionals would want to live in council 5th floor flats.

Oh they will just needs a trendy name. The s**** hole from east of old street roundabout along Great Eastern St to Browns the strip bar is now Hoxton

Look at all the 35 year olds dressed as kids with pumps and carrying those satchel things wandering around

:lol:

Edited by Greg Bowman

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

I live in zone 1 and I know quite a few people who work in sub-20k jobs eg bar workers, shop workers etc. They can afford it (just) because they live in what is known as social housing. I'm not sure that if you moved them out, that professionals would want to live in council 5th floor flats.

If you live in Zone One and have social housing then you are indeed very "fortunate." The rents are at least affordable, and even if made unemployed the LHA allowance will cover most or all of the rent. Its pretty much your only option if you live in central London, on a lowish salary and wish to live independently, as opposed to sharing. You have to get on the list and be offered a property however.

These people are not being moved on. Its more families with children, reliant on housing benefit to pay their private landlord. The slack is likely to be taken up by singles sharing rooms, in what were family homes. Great if you don't mind roughing it in London for a few years. I know quite a few people who live and work in London, and most seemed to be now in the state of perpetual sharing. Living as students well into their 40's. It gets harder to share as you get older of course.

However as you point out, even if you live in social housing its not picnic, 5th floor and higher council flats, ghettos and risk of crime, noise and anti-social behaviour etc. Also social rents are rising higher than inflation. Typically 8% compared to 1% or zero wage rises.

Edited by "Steed"

HOLA4416

I'd like to live somewhere fabulous and handy for work but my ability to buy/rent somewhere is capped by the amount of tax I have to pay, the high cost of living and my earning potential.

I have no choice.

Life is hard.

True

Even when you are working you cannot always pick the ideal place you want to live.

HOLA4417

The slack is likely to be taken up by singles sharing rooms, in what were family homes. Great if you don't mind roughing it in London for a few years. I know quite a few people who live and work in London, and most seemed to be now in the state of perpetual sharing. Living as students well into their 40's. It gets harder to share as you get older of course.

This seems like an inevitable consequence of the finance+government bubble we are still in. Money is being rapidly sucked out of the rest of the UK through taxes, profits, and rents and is all heading to central London. This money creates jobs in London, so there are now more jobs in London than family houses. Shared houses full of working adults is the inevitable result. Hopefully when this bubble is done bursting, there will be more money left outside of London and the jobs will be more evenly spread.

HOLA4418

This seems like an inevitable consequence of the finance+government bubble we are still in. Money is being rapidly sucked out of the rest of the UK through taxes, profits, and rents and is all heading to central London. This money creates jobs in London, so there are now more jobs in London than family houses. Shared houses full of working adults is the inevitable result. Hopefully when this bubble is done bursting, there will be more money left outside of London and the jobs will be more evenly spread.

The bubble will burst, and the government will be paying 80% of rents for the over 65 in this country, thats the HB bubble in 25 years.