House Price Crash Forum

Briton's Are "19 Years Behind Life Goals"

HOLA441

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2121152/Life-begins-40-How-Brits-19-YEARS-life-goals-marry-home-start-family.html

The average adult is an astonishing 19 years behind schedule with their ‘life plan’, research revealed yesterday. It suggests millions of Britons are struggling to tick off significant milestones such as owning a house and starting a family.

Most blame a low level of disposable income, high property prices and limited access to home loans for their lack of progress with their long-term goals. The study – which polled 1,000 40-year-olds – found the average youth had aspirations of earning more than £30,000 a year by the time they reached 31, but for 71 per cent this dream has yet to become a reality. The report also revealed most adults hope to become the proud owners of a house or flat by age 27, but 32 per cent are still renting well into their 40s.

Most said they hoped to start a family by 28, but 38 per cent are unlikely to have done so by the time they are in their late thirties. Even a full time job proves elusive for 13 per cent of adults.

Tracy Fletcher, of Skipton Building Society, which commissioned the study, said: ‘When you are growing up, you have very set ideas about when you will have that big wedding or your brand new house and cradle your first child in your arms.

“Unfortunately while the majority of people hope to have achieved most of their goals in their 20s, it is more likely to be late 30s or early 40s before many are accomplished.’

She added: ‘Money is a key factor for many of these milestones, as people just can’t afford to set foot on the housing ladder and feel lucky to have any sort of job let alone earn a packet, or buy a car.’

I see they're polling 40 year olds...They, should, in theory, have had the benefit of lower house prices...When they ask the future 40 year olds in five years time, I can imagine these figures being much, much higher...On the other hand, I couldn't give a monkies if I've hardly achieved most of that list by the time I'm 40...

Edited by Dave Beans

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

http://www.dailymail...art-family.html

On the other hand, I couldn't give a monkies if I've hardly achieved most of that list by the time I'm 40...

That might work if you're a male of the species. Unfortunately Mrs beans won't be able to put these things off as long.

One of the many reasons why high house prices are so socially damaging.

And boomers wonder why they have no grandchildren. huh.gif Idiots.

HOLA443

Its ALL about house prices.

Im in this category, and so are millions of others according to Shelter.

Next year, I will be 19 years behind, the year after, 20 years behind.

Thre average house Price TRIPLED in a decade, whilst the median UK wage rose by just 6.5k. Utilities also tripled under Labour and council tax doubled.

Youre 38 years old, and youve been unable to afford a house since you began working. Yet people on the same wage, doing the same job yet just two years older, are sitting on £300k assets they paid 80k for.

And the Governmnet still keeps the bubble inflated. Youve been forced to waste tens of thousands in rent, and put all lifes major decisons on hold.

Youre worthless.

So long as you dont finally snap, and walk into [somewhere] wielding a large weapon, the Government thinks everything is ok.

give it 20-30 years the government going to have a hell of a housing benefit bill.

HOLA444

Not only did house prices go out of control, another reason why life goals are behind is because more people study full time for longer then have gap years before they get their first full time job, they may never catch up with the school leaver in terms of wages or experience for many years....most of my peers left school at 16 and went straight into the workplace or went briefly into technical college to learn a trade, they got their training on the job whilst being paid, the nurses worked and studied at the same time, the best place imo to be both caring and learning from experienced staff.......certain vocations will always require a prolonged period of education but not like we have it today. ;)

HOLA445

Thre average house Price TRIPLED in a decade, whilst the median UK wage rose by just 6.5k. Utilities also tripled under Labour and council tax doubled.

Youre 38 years old, and youve been unable to afford a house since you began working. Yet people on the same wage, doing the same job yet just two years older, are sitting on £300k assets they paid 80k for.

And the Governmnet still keeps the bubble inflated. Youve been forced to waste tens of thousands in rent, and put all lifes major decisons on hold.

Youre worthless.

So long as you dont finally snap, and walk into [somewhere] wielding a large weapon, the Government thinks everything is ok.

Not everyone in their 40s are rolling in it, you know!

I took the decision in the mid 90's to save hard for several years so as to drastically reduce the mortgage I'd need to take out, plus with a level of savings giving me some security in the event of redundancy, only to watch as the house prices ramped up far quicker.

After 10 years of saving hard I'm now much further away from buying a house, and watching inflation eat away at my money.

HOLA446

That might work if you're a male of the species. Unfortunately Mrs beans won't be able to put these things off as long.

One of the many reasons why high house prices are so socially damaging.

And boomers wonder why they have no grandchildren. huh.gif Idiots.

..or you could do it like my dear father, whom re-married and had a child at the ripe old age of 60. He doesn't need/want grandchildren.

He can surely afford it with his huge final salary pension, house paid for and money in the bank (and a young wife with more money than him).

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

give it 20-30 years the government going to have a hell of a housing benefit bill.

and a hell of a demographic problem unless young, educated, hard working, decent people start having many more offspring otherwise let’s face it, the country is screwed!

You can’t have a successful country that can earn its way in the world off the backs of people from broken, uneducated, dysfunctional families many of which seem to contribute disproportionately to the number of children being born today.

HOLA4411

Youre worthless.

agreed, the problem is all about house prices, and until / if they fall this will be the problem forever

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

and a hell of a demographic problem unless young, educated, hard working, decent people start having many more offspring otherwise let's face it, the country is screwed!

It's a rational reaction when access to affordable and reasonable housing is on the whole denied to younger people for such a while. Millions of individual decisions to have less kids combines to form a market's response to the problem, ie less people to chase a scarce supply of affordable, family-sized housing. Alas, it isn't going to work because the uneducated, unhard-working are still having kids in droves and immigrants keep arriving.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

whilst I agree A problem is house prices, that is not the cause of the problem for everyone, it is a symptom.

I dont know where they surveyed, but 30,000 a year is out of reach of 80% of ALL the population, so them finding 71% with this level is a give away...or maybe 30K is a peak?

Anyway, the reason we have this situation here and just about everywhere in The western World, is Banking.

Bankers have absorbed our wealth and are still absorbing it, using well known techniques of lending to everyone and having a large default rate, and taking taxpayers wealth too with their bail outs.

Why are they still getting away with it?....they OWN the Democracies we are all in.

HOLA4416

agreed, the problem is all about house prices, and until / if they fall this will be the problem forever

It's about house prices but it's not all about house prices. In the late 70's to early 80's one in eigth went to uni. The rest went to work and in many cases great apprenticeships.

By the time our mates came out of uni we were five or six years ahead in the earning stakes, I have a mate who was on a uni gap year whilst I was doing my apprenticeship we became mates still are and his crowd of uni going ex private school mates became my own and to this day I am still in touch.

Went to his fiftieth last year and my observation is that they never really caught up and that was in the mythical times of plenty in the eighties and nineties.

Secondly the kidult culture was just forming in the late eighties we had kids at 28 and 32 respectively but almost overnight that became mid thirties because people wanted a career.

Thirdlly there just wasn't the spending on disposable 'escape' items such as holidays and going out every night.

So house prices are cerainly the problem but it's more complex than that and if anything I would lay the blame on the stupid labour policy to fill universities and decimate formal vocational training.

Edited by Greg Bowman

HOLA4417

With a 3 bed semi in Barnet going for this kind of money why is any of this a suprise...

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-22420152.html

I mean really :(

being from the north i never look at south or london prices, and being honest this has shocked me, 550k for a 3 bed semi, this is amazing, how anyone could afford this is beyond me,

HOLA4418
Guest eight

being from the north i never look at south or london prices, and being honest this has shocked me, 550k for a 3 bed semi, this is amazing, how anyone could afford this is beyond me,

I know what you mean. But turn it round slightly - I know some people could afford a £550K house, but I'm guessing neither me nor they would expect it to look anything like the one in question.

HOLA4419

It is all about house prices

High housing costs have priced the British worker out of the world jobs market. It's bloody obvious what's happened.

High housing costs

leads to

Need for workers to demand higher salary to keep up

leads to

Less competitive workforce, compared to low housing cost economies

leads to

More UK jobs being outsourced overseas, or imported (initially) cheap immigrant labor

leads to

Jobless society, mass unemployment

leads to

'Homeowners' wishing for yet more house price rises to supplement their dwindling income.

leads to

greater collapse in the jobs market.

eventually leads to

Total economic collapse

Edited by sleeping dog

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

With a 3 bed semi in Barnet going for this kind of money why is any of this a suprise...

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-22420152.html

I mean really :(

They may as well put a price tag of £2m on it and try and sell to a non dom, for all that that is worth....could knock them out at £80k each not long ago...buy half the road for that money.....being truthful here, if anyone had access to that sort of money would they honestly part with it to buy that? ;)

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

They may as well put a price tag of £2m on it and try and sell to a non dom, for all that that is worth....could knock them out at £80k each not long ago...buy half the road for that money.....being truthful here, if anyone had access to that sort of money would they honestly part with it to buy that? ;)

Consider.... even at only 20% deposit and stamp duty you are looking at close to £120k CASH just to move in. Real money.

HOLA4425

If one's lifetime dream is to own a Barratt home you have more serious issues than how far behind schedule you are

Quite. The implicit assumption in that article is everyone dreams of 2.4 kids and some tedious cookie cutter semi in a housing estate. I'd blow my brains out after 2 weeks.