House Price Crash Forum

THE GREAT BIG FAT GREEK THREAD

HOLA441

Perhaps they will, perhaps they won't.

But the world is a different place now with China and India industrialising.

It would be interesting to see how Germany coped with a much stronger currency and more competition over time in their export markets. As it is, they've been moving production out of Germany to lower cost regions for some time. Why are German jobs so special?

I don't think this is a given. They have two things going for them: one, they have thrived with a strong currency policy for over 60 years; and two, they seem to be thriving even more now that China and India are creating millions of would-be BMW drivers. Not that I am confident that the later will last very long mind you, but to date their record and the benefits of a strong currency approach speaks for itself.

The only alternative I have seen is the weak currency inflation / devaluation approach: it encourages club med countries to fart around all day with a 'property ladder' and moan about the Germans, and they don't work and invest to sell things to those Germans or compete with them by making better products.

Each devaluation brings relief but is very shortly followed by the same predicament of excessive prices and further misallocation of capital due to inflation.

Is this not partly why they're perfectly happy to keep the Piggy crisis going and the Euro lower v USD?

Back at 1.60 I don't remember their exporters calling for an even stronger Euro, quite the opposite.

IIRC it was the French doing the whining which is unsurprising from a high inflation country: _they_ need a lower euro.

Edited by _w_

• Replies 10.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

I find this ongoing barrage of empty statements from G-Pap, the ECB, the IMF, Van Rumpuy et al absolutely hilarious.

THERE IS ONLY ONE OUTCOME YOU MUPPETS :rolleyes:

cut.gif

they won't let anyone take a haircut.

however one day they will all wake up and find themselves bald.

.1117035942880.baldy.jpg

HOLA443

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/d8e302f2-980b-11e0-85e9-00144feab49a.html?ftcamp=rss#axzz1PSTxcLKy

Greek debt worries spread to Spain
By Miles Johnson in Madrid and David Oakley in London
Published: June 16 2011 13:38 | Last updated: June 16 2011 14:04
The cost of Spanish borrowing soared to 11-year highs on Thursday as political turmoil in Greece raised fears of contagion in the eurozone debt crisis and sent investors scurrying for safety.
Spanish 10-year bond yields, which move inversely to prices, jumped to 5.74 per cent at one point, above the closing high of 5.63 per cent seen in September 2000.

Its like watching a volcano--lots of rumbles, the occasional flare up, then a bit of quiet, then a few more rumbles before the big bang. IMO, we are close to the big bang. Just needs a bond sell off frenzy and world markets will go ballistic. I wonder where the safe haven might be? <_<

Edited by Realistbear

HOLA444
HOLA445

IMO, we are close to the big bang. Just needs a bond sell off frenzy and world markets will go ballistic.

Yep - I'm soooo happy my money is not tied down in bricks & mortar right now...

Sorry RB, it was too tempting :P

Edited by Greener Pastures

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

KBR. Halliburton. Blackwater. CACI. Titan. General Dynamics. Raytheon. Lockheed Martin. BAE Systems. Boeing. Northrop Grumman. Honeywell. etc...

I have been stocks lite for awhile now but may have to keep a sharp eye on my bond funds--nearly all ST and less vulnerable to big shocks.

Honeywell is intruiging--the analysts don't like it and the more negaive optinion they get the higher they go.

If the Eurozone does go into meltdown there will be some huge investment opportunities--mostly in backing the right currency as money will pour out of the Euros into what is peceived to be safest in the ST and I doubt it will be Rubles or Yuan.

HOLA4412

I have been stocks lite for awhile now but may have to keep a sharp eye on my bond funds--nearly all ST and less vulnerable to big shocks.

Honeywell is intruiging--the analysts don't like it and the more negaive optinion they get the higher they go.

If the Eurozone does go into meltdown there will be some huge investment opportunities--mostly in backing the right currency as money will pour out of the Euros into what is peceived to be safest in the ST and I doubt it will be Rubles or Yuan.

Any big defence contractor is a good punt when you have America threatening to open up the most of the Middle East and Africa into their theatre of operations.

Morality is out the window of course, but sometimes it pays to suck Satan's c0ck.

HOLA4413

Any big defence contractor is a good punt when you have America threatening to open up the most of the Middle East and Africa into their theatre of operations.

Morality is out the window of course, but sometimes it pays to suck Satan's c0ck.

I think the US would prefer to let we and the French deal with Ghadaffi. The cull in Syria will also go unhindered as that nice Mr. Putin and the Chinese like Mr. Assad.

Best to let the ME Mullahds and Sheiks just kill their people off if they rebel as it is a better alternative to the extreme religious Mullahs taking over. Best the West do nothing and try to contain it if it leaves their shores and leads to bombs in London.

HOLA4414

KBR. Halliburton. Blackwater. CACI. Titan. General Dynamics. Raytheon. Lockheed Martin. BAE Systems. Boeing. Northrop Grumman. Honeywell. etc...

Sad but true. Growth from making things that destroy then growth from rebuilding the shit they flattened. Still what better way to use up the remaining oil reserves :rolleyes:

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Indeed, it's my biggest worry. Spoilt liddle Amerwicans throwing their toys out of the pram and going on a global military rampage.

Just sell the hummer and get a hatchback you spoilt c4nts.

HOLA4418

Indeed, it's my biggest worry. Spoilt liddle Amerwicans throwing their toys out of the pram and going on a global military rampage.

Just sell the hummer and get a hatchback you spoilt c4nts.

The russian soldiers had to walk back when their state collapsed, no money for fuel.

From Afghan.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Libya has some of the best and most abundant light sweet crude on the planet. UK/France/Europe aren't getting any of it.

Hmm, and the French are at the forefront of the bombing. Perhaps they are waking up to the threat that the long standing desire by the Moslem states to conquer "Europa" is still underway.

Odd that the common people are revolting against the filty rich Mullahs and Sheiks that are raping them under the guise of anti-West decoy tactics (the evil Mr. Cameron and Mr Sarkozy are your real enemies not us--we just like our palaces and worship Allah etc etc).

Edited by Realistbear

HOLA4421

Oh, this just in too:

* Greece 5 year credit default swaps rise to record high 1,850 bps, up 124 bps on day

* Spanish 5 year credit default swaps rise to 305 bps, up 18 bps on day

* Portuguese 5 year credit default swaps rise to record high 833 bps, up 44 bps on day

* Irish 5 year credit default swaps rise to record high 805 bps, up 34 bps on day

Anyone have a link to live charts for european bond yields? Can't find one for the life of me, only have this one that is updated twice daily:

Money Week Bond Yield article - charts updated daily

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

If it is true that Spanish bonds have hit an 11 month high they are weeks away from being unable to pay their debts and default must not be far behind. It has been said that the EZ can contain Greece, Portugal and Ireland going bust but not Spain.

Bout time we had something to break the monotony on HPC.co.uk :D *

* :o

Edited by Realistbear

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20110616-710994.html

By Dawn Kissi
Of DOW JONES NEWSWIRES
NEW YORK (Dow Jones)--As talk of a Greek default intensified and political chaos in the country escalated Thursday, the euro continued to weaken.
For the first time in three weeks, the euro fell below $1.41. The decline followed a 1.8% decline against the U.S. dollar Tuesday, when Greek default fears accelerated and euro-zone contagion concerns were renewed.
The common currency--which has recovered a bit but remains under pressure--also fell below EUR1.20 versus the safe-haven Swiss franc.

World press are adding to the frenzy and striking terror into the hearts of investors who are being pushed to the brink of panic and going to cash.

No boring summer this year folks, weather might be shit, but the fun is beginning!