House Price Crash Forum

Santander Isa

HOLA441

If a big one went down could it be like this?

Where are you going to keep moving your £85k's?

Just leave them in the various banks. As I just said in another thread, in my opinion, HMG would print whatever money is necessary to pay all the £85Ks which would, of course, devalue Sterling, but that's another matter.

HOLA442

Just leave them in the various banks. As I just said in another thread, in my opinion, HMG would print whatever money is necessary to pay all the £85Ks which would, of course, devalue Sterling, but that's another matter.

It's not really "another matter" though is it? In your HMG printing scenario, if you are putting your money within FSCS limits to keep it safe but you only get devalued pounds, it wasn't safe after all was it? Every 10% devaluation reduces the £85k by 10%?

I'm not suggesting instead using the money to buy a UK house (as often said on here) because that would be demoninated in the devalued currency.

HOLA443

It's not really "another matter" though is it? In your HMG printing scenario, if you are putting your money within FSCS limits to keep it safe but you only get devalued pounds, it wasn't safe after all was it? Every 10% devaluation reduces the £85k by 10%?

I'm not suggesting instead using the money to buy a UK house (as often said on here) because that would be demoninated in the devalued currency.

It is another matter as far as which banks to keep the £85Ks in is concerned.

With regard to the value of Sterling, one could go round the bend trying to anticipate every possible eventuality, so I keep liquid funds in more than one currency and am prepared to act, in whatever way I see fit, as and when required.

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA444

My son failed to get them to open an ISA in time to catch last years allowance, despite applying well in advance. Their total incompetence caused the problem.. But he came out of it with something, as per their communication below. Anyone else been on the end of their largesse?

Due to the delay in opening your ISA account in the previous tax year we will be crediting your new account with a one off payment of £272.54 as a goodwill gesture. This amount is the equivalent of 1% interest on a fully funded 2011/12 cash ISA account balance over a 5 year period. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

I've encountered both very good, and awful customer service from them over the years, to be fair...

• 2 months later...
HOLA445

My son failed to get them to open an ISA in time to catch last years allowance, despite applying well in advance. Their total incompetence caused the problem.. But he came out of it with something, as per their communication below. Anyone else been on the end of their largesse?

Due to the delay in opening your ISA account in the previous tax year we will be crediting your new account with a one off payment of £272.54 as a goodwill gesture. This amount is the equivalent of 1% interest on a fully funded 2011/12 cash ISA account balance over a 5 year period. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

I've encountered both very good, and awful customer service from them over the years, to be fair...

I am considering the major ISA. What's the latest opinion on Santander?

I understand that their british arm has ring fenced funding - is this true??

Thanks.