House Price Crash Forum

Anne Ashworth Of The Times Reads Hpc

HOLA441
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
Another surprise development of the slowdown of 2008 is the sudden improvement in the image of the buy-to-let investor, previously the villain, blamed from excluding first-time buyers from homeownership. A study from the National Housing and Planning Advice Unit (NHPAU) indicates that first-time buyers have been more disadvantaged by their own lack of purchasing power.

WTF? what is she saying here? that its not the fault of btl for pushing the prices out of reach of first timers, its the fault of ftbs because they can't afford it?

HOLA443
QUOTE: There is, for example, very little similarity between the economic conditions today and the sorry situation that precipitated the housing crash of the early Nineties

I agree with her.

Its so much worse this time around. We have far more sub-prime, much higher LTVs, far higher levels of consumer debt (as so many TV programs are reminding us these days), fraud is more woidespread with even the LR falling under the spell of greed as indicated by Panorama this week. If the stats are fraudulent how can anyone rely on them????Finally, this time it is far more widespread. In fact its almost Glow-ball.

Face it you VI journo's, HPI is a DISEASE and it needs to be eradicated before the infection destroys our nation.

Edited by Realistbear

HOLA444
QUOTE: There is, for example, very little similarity between the economic conditions today and the sorry situation that precipitated the housing crash of the early Nineties

I agree with her.

Its so much worse this time around. We have far more sub-prime, much higher LTVs, far higher levels of consumer debt (as so many TV programs are reminding us these days), fraud is more woidespread with even the LR falling under the spell of greed as indicated by Panorama this week. If the stats are fraudulent how can anyone rely on them????Finally, this time it is far more widespread. In fact its almost Glow-ball.

Face it you VI journo's, HPI is a DISEASE and it needs to be eradicated before the infection destroys our nation.

clearly there are two kinds of inflation: BAD inflation where prices go up, and GOOD inflation where prices go up (House Prices)

HOLA445
HOLA446

quote "A study from the National Housing and Planning Advice Unit (NHPAU) indicates that first-time buyers have been more disadvantaged by their own lack of purchasing power". <_<

Who does the stupid b1tch think supports the market? :angry:

How does she think that high house prices are sustainable and will not compromise the economy in the longer term? :angry:

How the f*ck does she get paid to write such drivel and be taken seriously? :angry:

HOLA447

Apparently, falling house prices produce "human misery", as opposed to hugely inflated house prices which presumably cause universal happiness.

I used to buy the Times regularly but Kaletsky and Ashworth, coupled with the declining quality of rugby coverage has dissuaded me.

HOLA448
It seems that the most nauseating (in my opinion) of the property columnists has been browsing these pages......

http://property.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life...icle3325824.ece

I dont think she likes us much :P:lol:

".....The motives of this online fraternity that longs for the human misery produced by a market collapse are a mystery. Perhaps they hope that if they spread sufficient gloom, their rantings will become a self-fulfilling prophecy? ""

Perhaps the Journo's/VI's and the Political Classes are getting a tad upset with the alt Web Community setting the agenda these days :rolleyes:

HOLA449
HOLA4410
WTF? what is she saying here? that its not the fault of btl for pushing the prices out of reach of first timers, its the fault of ftbs because they can't afford it?

NHPAU - Government mouthpiece.

See Kate Barker and that "housing review" - LOL! What a total waste of space and spin.

Just think, there has been one member of the BOE looking deeply into the housing market all this time, nobody called time before Northern Shithouse happened, in fact they just encouraged lenders to go on a further binge in 2005 - after which Northern Shithouse (and others) really went for it and relaxed lending multiples further.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
Guest grumpy-old-man
She sounds a bit scared about house price falls.

I wonder if her daughter/son or someone close to her has just bought.

that's what I am also thinking.

Did she not watch the tv prog that identified anomalies in the stats the other day.

All the VI's working together for a better priced house, better in the upward direction obviously.

Everyone has a btl portfolio now, even my doctor. When I asked my doctor what she thought about the current situation she said "property only ever goes up" I sh1t you not. A doctor ffs.

What chance has the ordinary couple in average street got who have a small btl portfolio if a delusional doctor can't see what's happening.

Just sit tight & see the outcome, because 2008 IS the year of the bears. :D:D

edited for crap grammar

Edited by grumpy-old-man

HOLA4413
Don't worry. By the time this has played out, Anne Ashworth, along with Kirsty & Phil and Sarah Beeny, will be hiding from lynch mobs for a good few years.

Just a thought but is someone making a list of all the people who write these articles and there email addresses because when this tidal wave does hit, It might be nice to send a mass email out to each one and ask them what they think now!...

HOLA4414
Both surveys provoked vitriol from the vocal minority that has been wrongly forecasting a crash for the past few years and now denounces any research that might thwart their hope that their dream is about to come true.

Apart from the fact she has not made any predictions, only quote current press releases with no journalistic verve such as questioning, interviewing, researching. in any of her previous articles.

The misunderstanding is that at first the predictions in 2005 were that the market was overheating and should slow down, then 2006 worries about credit being extended too far jobs and economy weakening, 2007 was credit crunch, bad debt reposessions would rise. market should slow or reverse, credit going mad, economy tanking. 2008 is financial markets to fail, economy tanking, credit blown, houses to revert by 25% or more.

It's not that the bears have been wrong , as opposed to "no viewpoint" such as herself, just that as the situation got worse and worse we could see the end result getting worse. So misery is replaced with a growing concern as the market carried on growing on debt. I can predict the Times will fall in circulation by 2-3% as it did in 2007 and be the bottom of the tabloid formats.

Edited by maxwell

HOLA4415

In the crash of 1990's, My house was going down like a stone, but every time the haliwide stuff came on, me and the missus wer STUNNED that they NEVER reflected the losses we were seeing.

We lived in a very desirable house, a dream house, it has never been empty since is was sold for 45% less than we bought it for.

I dont recall seeing 45% drop in ANY figures published by Haliwide.

It will be the same this time.

Oh, and they base their figures on ASKING PRICES.

HOLA4416
It seems that the most nauseating (in my opinion) of the property columnists has been browsing these pages......

http://property.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life...icle3325824.ece

I find it sad that so many people seem to be so ignorant of the issues.

I find this statement insulting in particular:

"indicates that first-time buyers have been more disadvantaged by their own lack of purchasing power. "

So nothing to do with prices that have risen beyond all sensible measure then.... These stupid FTB's should just earn more (all of them)

I would like her to put herself in the position of todays 20 yr olds, if prices do not drop significantly over then next few years then the majority have not a hope of ever aspiring to a settled home I do not think her and her ilk realise this - if you are reading this Anne - please take a few moments to think about the concequences of the high prices we have now.

They (we) are left at the mercy of cowboy landlords whose only priority is to make money - I have had to move flats 8 times in the past 10 years. If prices had not been so ridiculous then I would have been able to buy something 5/6 years ago - I was 'priced out' then and am even more so now despite having doubled my salary and now have a reasonable deposit. Most FTB's cannot compete with BTL people who have access to far higher deposits and favourable conditions from banks and this government.

An entire generation is being shafted and arrogant comments from people like Anne Ashford do not help.

HOLA4417

ANY FTB can afford their new home.

All they need to do is go to their Dogbox broker, lie on their mortgage application about their salary, take a fixed term Interest only loan of 8 times their real combined salaries, and bobs you uncle.

Oh and get their parents to guaranteee the loan.

HOLA4418

This article from Anne Ashworth shows what the priced out are up against. People like Anne Ashworth who have been trying to pump up the value of their own property for ten years have control of the media and the ear of the politicians. The priced out have noone to represent them, not even the most housing aware politicians whose best idea is to give us "shared ownership".

If this article doesn't prompt us to get more active, what will? Letter writing is a start. First to write a letter to the f*cker and post it here wins a prize.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
Apparently, falling house prices produce "human misery", as opposed to hugely inflated house prices which presumably cause universal happiness.

That's it in a nutshell.

I can't work our whether journalists like her are stupid or selfish.

Stupid enough to ignore the fact that rising house prices must mean that, collectively, we owe more to the banks. Almost every pound that actually changes hands when houses are bought and sold is borrowed.

Or selfish enough to convince themselves that the generation following them who, let's face it, are our children - can go hang themselves in a noose of debt for the rest of their lives - just so their generation can retire early with a shedload of equity (other people's debts) in their pockets.

Edited by Lets' get it right

HOLA4421

I've replied.

That article just drips the shock and anger of someone who's suddenly realised there is a substantial body of opinion contrary to their own, and who lacks the critical ability to appreciate the arguments behind such opposing views.

We know you're reading this Ms Ashworth, so please keep looking at the site and try to understand the reasoning behind it.

HOLA4422

How did that paperweight Anne Ashworth ever get and keep that job? I know people don't read the times for financial commentary but nonetheless deserve more than the wisdom of what may as well be the twelve year old offspring of the local insurance salesman.

HOLA4423

The rat and mouse has commented as well

The Rat and Mouse believes the motives are a mystery because they're a complete mixture. At the more noble end... a mixture of old-fashioned Marxism and a genuine desire to address some of the iniquities of the system. Less noble... envy and a desire to punish (although these motives haven't been thought through, because it won't be the rich who'll be punished by rising interest rates and lower house prices, it will be anybody who just managed to get a hand on the bottom rung of the property ladder). Furthermore... a few instances of a need - at any cost - to be proved right. Clearly, though, after a certain amount of time, all bets are off. You can't predict something, wait indefinitely for it to happen, and then claim a victory. And finally - of course - there are the nutters, who just like attacking people on the Internet. Luckily, the site has enough of the former to make it an interesting read. If that's your thing, don't miss out on HousingPANIC either.

Meanwhile, if you want to know who the nutters are, it might be worth watching the comments section below Anne Ashworth's article for the next few days.

HOLA4424

Added a reply but probably won't get listed on the site.

I find it ironic that most journalists never question anything given to them. I thought it was part of their remit to question everything. Now it seems all the journalists get their jobs on the basis of who they know. The reason for her backlash is that in reality the online community is slowly usurping the traditional media outlets. Information can now be questioned by the individual using online tools and this is causing fear amongst traditional media.

The fact that the article is putting out deckchairs on the Titanic I find rather amusing. Good luck Anne, in selling that one bed in Streatham (I find the article almost points you to that specific area, not Hackney where steeper falls will occur), as I don’t think you have a cat in hells chance of getting rid of it.

HOLA4425

I used to buy the Times regularly but Kaletsky and Ashworth, coupled with the declining quality of rugby coverage has dissuaded me.

I stopped buying the times ages ago - its a comic book - in fact the SUN is better grounded!

Torygraph rules tho.

HAL