House Price Crash Forum

Sue Woodcock -Dales Diary

HOLA441

Watchers ofthe 90s reality show, The Village (Bentley HANTS) may remember the WPC - Sue Woodcock.

Readsers ofthe Yorkshire Post will know her for her column, Dales DIary, in the Saturday farming supplement.

Anyhow, her foot in the door to the dales involved her buying a derelict farm near Grassington.

Of course she did not have planning permission:

Article nov 2008

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/around-yorkshire/local-stories/planning_row_threatens_sue_s_dream_of_good_life_1_2398397

"The two years since she bought the property and 10 hectares of land for 130,000 have been taken up with making the house weather-proof, blocking windows with Perspex, putting in a wood-burning fire and a stove and filling it with her many possessions."

So, that's bought a shed which she could not stay in. Wierd, 30 years enforcing the law, retire on a chunky wedge then - poof! - laws no longer apply.

Oh she pleas poverty a lot.

Anymuch, whinging about this and that. Column in the YP - the new Hannah Hauxwell. Much housing of stray animals - most of which go round eating the moors wildlife.

Roll forward to 2012 - she's selling-up. That's 6 years ownership.

http://www.cravenherald.co.uk/news/9382986.Woman_in_croft_row_set_to_sell_home/

Oh being a raggle taggle dont care about money, she'll just want to seel it for the price she bought it for:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-30829537.html

£325K FFS!!!!!

Look at the pictures!!

She's really done a Grand Design on it.

Still no leccy, water.

Oh but there are problems. Her buyer's chain stuck or fallen apart.

Not to worry - 'there are loads of other buyers lined up'

You'll have to take my word for the last bit. Its a verbatim quote from the paper. YP's website is a pie*e of sh1t.

HOLA442
HOLA443
"The two years since she bought the property and 10 hectares of land for 130,000 have been taken up with making the house weather-proof, blocking windows with Perspex, putting in a wood-burning fire and a stove and filling it with her many possessions."

Only in a late 2004 bubble getting completely out of control would anyone pay £130,000 for that place in that isolated location.

Even now it has permissions and what not, still lacking so much including mains water, gas, electricity and sewerage.

Unless Yarnbury Grassington is really in special demand, can't see her getting anywhere near £130,000 for it. It's nothing but a basic shelter in nowhere. Can't see it being worth much more than its agricultural land value.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
Only in a late 2004 bubble getting completely out of control would anyone pay £130,000 for that place in that isolated location.

Even now it has permissions and what not, still lacking so much including mains water, gas, electricity and sewerage.

Unless Yarnbury Grassington is really in special demand, can't see her getting anywhere near £130,000 for it. It's nothing but a basic shelter in nowhere. Can't see it being worth much more than its agricultural land value.

All she needs is leccy and water. Many places out in the stick use calor gas or oil, and lack of mains drains is not unusual, you just get the tank pumped out once a month.

Getting planning consent on any land effectively quadruples it's price... so she paid over the odds when she bought the place.

HOLA448

All she needs is leccy and water. Many places out in the stick use calor gas or oil, and lack of mains drains is not unusual, you just get the tank pumped out once a month.

Getting planning consent on any land effectively quadruples it's price... so she paid over the odds when she bought the place.

No need even for those if it's properly out in the sticks. Some of the houses around here have private water supplies (like this one, which I might view when the price comes within offering distance of £250k), and a few have their own generators (no example to hand).

HOLA449

private water supply is fine - you just need the UV treatment to ensure it is safe

and septic tanks only need 'pumping out' when needed - every couple of years or so. They are designed to be a closed system and most properties outside urban areas manage fine with them

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4410

Still can't find where teh YP put the weekly column.

Anyhow, just read the Farming supplment on the bog.

The sale has fallen through.

Don't worry loads more buyers.

Russians I guess.

Or Greeks.

Or Italians.

I wonder if the council attached any restrictions to the house when they allowed her to stay.

HOLA4411

15463_10151_IMG_00_0002_max_620x414.jpg

£325K?

Surely a missprint and £32.5k? :blink:

You could get moor than that flogging the stone in garden centres :rolleyes:

• 6 months later...
HOLA4412

Not caught up on my YP country section for a few months.

I see the hovel is back on the market.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-30829537.html

Last comment I read was the buyer was bringing a structural engineer up to look at the house.

The buyer would have been better advised to get a shrink.

Nice picture of the kitchen. Should appeal to someone returning from 'ghan.

HOLA4413

Not caught up on my YP country section for a few months.

I see the hovel is back on the market.

http://www.rightmove...y-30829537.html

Last comment I read was the buyer was bringing a structural engineer up to look at the house.

The buyer would have been better advised to get a shrink.

Nice picture of the kitchen. Should appeal to someone returning from 'ghan.

:lol: :lol:

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

decent arcs over the surrounding country too.

I did notice that the new set of photos did shift focus from the house to the surrounding area.

Problem is places like this get a good view during summer but come winter the wind rips thru them.

My cousin has a farm house that has stunning views. During summer (and when the weather is OK) its great.

During winter the wind rips the flesh off your bones and sucks all the heat out of the house.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

different car too - unless that belongs to the EA. could have done without the inside pictures though unless some hapless buyer will be drooling over the character and loves the homely touch of the 'feral' looking dog.

could leave the boomer out of the title - think that word is largely irrelevant B)

Edited by olliegog

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

different car too - unless that belongs to the EA. could have done without the inside pictures though unless some hapless buyer will be drooling over the character and loves the homely touch of the 'feral' looking dog.

the only people who would want this are people who do not realise that there is no housing shortage North of the Watford Gap- it's f00king cold in the Yorkshire countryside in winter - there's a reason why people huddle together in towns unless they absolutely HAVE to be isolated (ie you are a working farmer)

Edited by Si1

HOLA4424

A bit of a lazy effort from Sue Woodcock IMO. She isn't attempting to keep up much of the property or the land, yet what bit she does use (particularly the outside) looks like a rubbish dump. I would at the very least have got the land surrounding the cottage tip top...it doesn't cost any money just a bit of graft. Surely you buy these type of properties with a bit of effort in mind.

Edit. I suppose I tend to forget we bestow heroism on ladies that live in disarray....it certainly worked for Hannah Hauxwell also from Yorkshire.

Edited by crashmonitor

• 1 year later...
HOLA4425

update

Despite claiming that she'll be carried out in a box, she does seem to have sold up and left.

She's be doing a Wolds diary in the YP for a bit now.

For those not in Yorkshire, the wolds are the flat, not too cold bit between Hull, Scarborough and York.

Anyhow, price data up on zoopla:

Detached | Tenure: Freehold | Last sale: £195,000 | Sale date: 28th Jun 2013

A bit of reduction from her original price of 325K.

More than the 130K she paid for it in 2005ish.

Probably sold to one of those daft bint that knitted her toys for her sheep killing rescue dogs.