House Price Crash Forum

How Much Is Your Weekly Food Shopping Bill?

Darkman

HOLA441

So how much is your weekly food shopping bill?

For me it's shopping for two, so please state how many people the food covers.

I admit I never usually even look at the amount or pay attention at the till. But recently I've noticed it's regularly around £70 or higher. We shop at Sainsburys.

Personally I think we spend a little too much on ready meals, and could easily cut the amount down a bit.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

About £20 to £25 for one. Range of places. Coop (for reductions). Lidl; Sainsburys and a few local farm shops. Could get it down a bit. Two much cheese, cream and choccy :-P

Limited choice stores like Lidl are a good idea as you don't get so distracted.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

On food and drink around £130 per week for four of us. Shop at Waitrose as unfortunately I can tell the difference now between ok food/wine and good food/wine which is a handicap in some ways. Ignorance is bliss particularly when it comes to wine. I used to be happy on a £8 bottle of wine and when I was educated on the differences of more expensive wine I now have to buy that stuff.

HOLA448

On food and drink around £130 per week for four of us. Shop at Waitrose as unfortunately I can tell the difference now between ok food/wine and good food/wine which is a handicap in some ways. Ignorance is bliss particularly when it comes to wine. I used to be happy on a £8 bottle of wine and when I was educated on the differences of more expensive wine I now have to buy that stuff.

HOLA449

About 30 or 40 for the main shop.. and probably another 10 or 20 during the week.

So between £40 and £60 for two of us.

I would spend less.. but my wife likes the odd comfort purchase and brand label.

I don't stop her.

HOLA4410

Wines sold at lidl are regularly winning awards, take their tarragona reserve for example

HOLA4411

For two, (from Ocado) - for 2011 it averaged to £44 per week (yes I keep a spreadsheet of most of my expenditure).

We did spend quite a lot on eating out too though......about £41 a week (ouch). That's about one meal a week out at a restaurant I suppose. Though I blame some of that on us taking family out for dinner!

HOLA4412

I spend about £50 a week for 2 1/2 people (sons girlfriend eats with us 3 to 4 times a week) I mainly shop at Sainsburys, ocassionally M&S, none of us drink alcohol, son pays for his own food during the day when out working so no pack lunches, he and girlfriend eat out couple of times a week. Rarely buy ready meals but always have a few in freezer in case of emergency/laziness.

HOLA4413

About £130 a week at Sainsbury's for a family of four, including a few bottles of wine around the £5 mark BUT we also get a bulk delivery every 6 weeks of non-perishables which comes to about £180 (saves lugging bulky and heavy items such as dink cartons and toilet roll every week!).

This does also cover toiletries and cleaning products though.

HOLA4414

Wines sold at lidl are regularly winning awards, take their tarragona reserve for example

Hmm interesting. Been steering clear of Lidl booze but might take a look at the plonk.

Lidl is good for cheese too.

HOLA4415

Hmm interesting. Been steering clear of Lidl booze but might take a look at the plonk.

Lidl is good for cheese too.

Lidl beer is good too. For a tinned beer Grafenwalder Pils is very good and they do a bottled beer in cardboard six packs (name escapes me but big bottles, not stubbies and begins with P I think) which is very good. Being German beers they're brewed to the Rheinheitsgebot (or an expanded version of the same medieval regulations) .

Far better than any mass produced beers you get here; certainly on a par with bottled beer here and about 2/3 of the price.

HOLA4416

Educated? I wouldnt waste your money. There is pretty much no difference between any reasonable bottle of wine between £5 and £50. If you want to taste the real difference then you have to open your wallet and you aint gonna find anything worth spending that amount on in waitrose.

HOLA4417

Educated? I wouldnt waste your money. There is pretty much no difference between any reasonable bottle of wine between £5 and £50. If you want to taste the real difference then you have to open your wallet and you aint gonna find anything worth spending that amount on in waitrose.

I just look for the per-centage! 13.5% is good! ;)

HOLA4418

Lidl beer is good too. For a tinned beer Grafenwalder Pils is very good and they do a bottled beer in cardboard six packs (name escapes me but big bottles, not stubbies and begins with P I think) which is very good. Being German beers they're brewed to the Rheinheitsgebot (or an expanded version of the same medieval regulations) .

Far better than any mass produced beers you get here; certainly on a par with bottled beer here and about 2/3 of the price.

Perlenbacher - worth going out of your way for!

HOLA4419

I recollect getting a bottle as prize at a pub quiz. The small-print on the label identified it as coming from Lidl. Drinking it turned out to be a very pleasant surprise!

I try to buy as much of my wine as possible when our Morrisons has "half-price" offers (they're our only local shop with more than a very small range). With essentially-unlimited shelf life it's easy to buy when cheap and drink when wanted.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Perlenbacher - worth going out of your way for!

That's the one. I frequently did go out of my way for it.

I'm off the sauce until June (felt I needed a dry period) but I'll be back to Lidl when the time comes.

HOLA4424

Picked up a bottle of Chilean Merlot from Lidl on the way back from town. £3.99. Will sample that later rolleyes.gif

Pretty much the same as sold in local shops for £1-£2 more.

I've had that many times before, perfectly enjoyable.

HOLA4425

One man and his dog, £15 to £20 a week, always used to congratulate myself if i could keep it under a tenner, but good old inflation has put pay to that, another thing i have noticed is the former food snobs have alot more cheap brands in their baskets these days :rolleyes:

Archived