House Price Crash Forum

Horsham, West Sussex

goatlegs

HOLA441

Hi!

I curious if anyone on this board had experience with the housing market in Horsham.

Has there been a correct amount of reduction in the asking prices from the Estate Agents there or are they still dreaming?

Are the houses selling within the asking prices?

Would you buy there now?

• 2 years later...
HOLA442

Allsop auction 26/5/2011

Horsham properties.

1 Trinity Square

Victoria Street

West Sussex

RH13 5DQ

Sold 26/5/2011 £197,500

Purchased 31/7/2002 £209,000

6 Trinity Square

Victoria Street

West Sussex

RH13 5DQ

Sold 26/5/2011 £210,000

Purchased 31/7/2002 £227,000

8 Trinity Square

Victoria Street

West Sussex

RH13 5DQ

Sold 26/5/2011 £212,000

14 Trinity Square

Victoria Street

West Sussex

RH13 5DQ

Sold 26/5/2011 £200,000

Purchased 30/9/2002 £209,000

http://www.auction.co.uk/residential/pastResults.asp?A=711

HOLA443

Allsop auction 26/5/2011

Horsham properties.

1 Trinity Square

Victoria Street

West Sussex

RH13 5DQ

Sold 26/5/2011 £197,500

6 Trinity Square

Victoria Street

West Sussex

RH13 5DQ

Sold 26/5/2011 £210,000

Purchased 31/7/2002 £227,000

8 Trinity Square

Victoria Street

West Sussex

RH13 5DQ

Sold 26/5/2011 £212,000

14 Trinity Square

Victoria Street

West Sussex

RH13 5DQ

Sold 26/5/2011 £200,000

Purchased 30/9/2002 £209,000

http://www.auction.co.uk/residential/pastResults.asp?A=711

This development is not indicative of the woder Horsham market. It has seen some flls recently, i was looking at places there early in the year and prices have slipped since then but it depends on which part you are looking at. I have noticed some of the larger exec houses are slipping too, but IMO the mid level well finished period or decent semis may hold up up slightly better. Nice place Horsham with countryside on your doorstep.

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA444

Horsham is a very expensive town to buy in. It needs serious development to affect property prices. I rent in Horsham & there is very little available to rent - the demand oustrips supply & house purchases are of similar trait.

That Trinity Square is a poky little development the wrong side of the train tracks to the town centre - you have to go significantly round the houses to get to the town. been monitoring prices since last year & theres not been any reductions in prices. Good property sells for full asking, the bad stuff doesnt until reduced...

• 7 months later...
HOLA445

I know this development quite well as was specifically looking at this area. It's actually very quick into town as you could walk to Carfax in 10 minutes and to the train station in less.

Trinity Square is a quiet cul-de-sac with undercover allocated parking and the houses are 3 bed with seperate dining room and en-suite to main bedroom. A very safe environment off the main road.

The prices quoted above are unrealistic as the properties were repossessions from a greedy landlord who kept borrowing on the equity. They are worth a lot more. They're just in excess of 1,000 sq. feet over 3 floors. Rightmove have these repossessions up for rent at £1150 p/m.

In fact, I'm still looking at this development but want one on the South side. If it came up under £300k then we may be tempted. Good value by comparison in Horsham. £280 per sq. foot is realistic, IMO.

• 4 years later...
HOLA446

Hi,

Expect Goatlegs you have trotted off by now, it being seven years since you posted your question. Did you find somewhere to buy or are you still renting, if you are still around?

We are looking to buy in Horsham or Southwater, or possibly Crawley, as my partner works with Horsham Council, and we are currently renting an hours drive away in Surrey.

We've found a couple of interesting places, and are getting signals that vendors are willing to drop prices a little, because of uncertainty.

Does anyone else here have experience looking in the area?

Greenballoon.

HOLA447

Hi,

Expect Goatlegs you have trotted off by now, it being seven years since you posted your question. Did you find somewhere to buy or are you still renting, if you are still around?

We are looking to buy in Horsham or Southwater, or possibly Crawley, as my partner works with Horsham Council, and we are currently renting an hours drive away in Surrey.

We've found a couple of interesting places, and are getting signals that vendors are willing to drop prices a little, because of uncertainty.

Does anyone else here have experience looking in the area?

Greenballoon.

Hi, although I live on the south coast of sussex, have a general view of sussex prices. IMO sussex, followed london up to insane bubble prices, and has only just peaked. Now that london is falling properly, sussex will be hot on its heels, with a few months lag.

Personally I would rent somewhere in the areas you mentioned first, before jumping in and buying. Vendors might have droppped prices a bit, but sussex is still only just past peak prices.

HOLA448

Also to add .... look at the latest RICS survey

http://www.rics.org/Global/8._WEB_%20August_2016_RICS_UK_Residential_Market_Survey_tt.pdf

South East - new buyer enquiries down, new listings up, sales down ..... all points to increasing supply and dropping demand = price falls. Whenever I'm tempted to buy, I look at the price the house was 5 years ago (normally 30% lower!) and think "is this place really worth an extra £80k compared to then !?!??! That £80k of mortgage debt will take £150k of repayments!!!! Always a sobering thought :)

HOLA449

Hi Hiacedrifter,

Thanks for your advice. Yes, I agree that there is a good chance prices will come down some way from where they are now, especially if the Brexit negotiations are unfavourable to the banks and London prices continue to fall. It's not guaranteed though, and whilst supply might be increasing at some tiers at the end of the market we are in, supply is still very limited.

My other half is very keen just to buy anything though, as she is having to commute a long way four times a week, and isn't convinced that prices will drop. We are in our forties and the combined pressure of seeing friends and colleagues settled in their own places, and from the media still not presenting the whole picture, makes it hard to resist.

We offered 5% below asking on a sealed bid for our favourite place, and the vendor is still thinking it over, waiting to see if other higher offers come in. The mortgage costs are the same as our rent and we just want to get it done now I think. Will we be kicking ourselves in six months time if he accepts our offer, and prices really tumble? Yes, of course.

What is your situation?

What is your situation?

• 5 years later...
HOLA4410

The thing I've notice around Horsham recently is all the new builds in the outlying villages or what almost seen newly created mini towns around Horsham.

I think Broadbridge Heath is the area near the big Tesco off the A24, it seems to almost be a town in its own right with more building  proposed:

https://www.sussexexpress.co.uk/news/people/fresh-proposals-for-300-new-homes-on-farmland-near-horsham-3525124