• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

1% is more than my rent+ council tax.

Remember that's 1% you don't have to borrow but you also don't have to pay interest on it for 25 years either. So it's probably two months worth of rent and council tax (it is for me). . :)

HOLA445

The fall is seasonally adjusted only - prices actually rose 0.4%, so purchasers would have saved 1.4% buying before the deadline (plus the 1% on the 0.4%).

Compared to last year when there was a large NSA jump from Feb to Mar, I think this is more than a moral victory.

Need more falls now to keep the YoY the right side of zero.

HOLA446

Forex displayed a prediction of a 0.3% rise. Slightly out then.

2006 comparison works for me. I've seen a 2 bed house near me for sale since mid Jan at £10k LESS than the £149k paid for it in Dec 2006. Another, although smaller 2 bed is being marketed at £4k more than the £123,750 it sold for in June 2005.

Still keeping powder dry and in self-control, at the moment.

House near me came on not long ago at 280k dropped to 270k and is now under offer. Highest ever sold price in street is 245k in 2007! Last sale in street £187k Oct 2011 two before that were both £195k Sep 11 and Dec 09. Who the hell is prepared to pay that? If I were my landlord I'd be seriously thinking about chancing my arm now if that sale goes through.

HOLA447

House near me came on not long ago at 280k dropped to 270k and is now under offer. Highest ever sold price in street is 245k in 2007! Last sale in street £187k Oct 2011 two before that were both £195k Sep 11 and Dec 09. Who the hell is prepared to pay that? If I were my landlord I'd be seriously thinking about chancing my arm now if that sale goes through.

It depends what the offer is.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

The nationwide numbers are way off track,. their customer base is middle class egyts with big deposits/equity who have been paying out too much for houses. The nationwide will at some point have to catch up with the halifax and land registry.

We should expect big falls from the nationwide.

Any big increases would just further widen the reality gap.

I feel sorry for all those people who have chucked their deposits away....hey, no I dont :lol:

To be honest, I'm increasingly of the opinion that it was down to the looseness of their lending.

I've been tracking mortgage rates for a while now and since the start of this year a lot of the best fixed rate deals (based on a 75% LTV) have been pulled. NW was one of these and up until fairly recently offered a 5 yr fix at around 3.5% - it has now nudged up to around 4%. Significantly NW was also offering a relatively high multiple income compared to Halifax.

Worth bearing in mind to that should the NewBuy scheme take off (which from the other thread looks unlikely now) then the Haliwide indices will also begin to reflect inflated new-build prices; in which case the Land Reg will be the one to watch (as it excludes new-build sales).

Nationwide said that the slowdown was to be expected owing to changes in stamp duty rules creating a "headwind" in an already difficult environment.

Wow - who could have seen that coming :lol:

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

You can't have inflation of essentials like food and electricity without wage inflation and expect other items dictated by demand alone to keep their price. Hence house prices are falling. And when people see the price falling they don't seem such a good investment so people stop buying them as investments. The financial markets is riddled with positive feedback that causes boom and bust.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Just had offer accepted on place this morning, 20% off 2007 prices (it's been on and off the market since then - Baby Boomers wanting to downside but not sell their house for less than it's worth).... now wondering if I should have waited longer....

I think you should have, 20% of '07 is just where the market is now, so you're saying they upped the ask to compensate for the falls when they found a mug and you think your getting a deal. wheres the face palm emoticon.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Just had offer accepted on place this morning, 20% off 2007 prices (it's been on and off the market since then - Baby Boomers wanting to downside but not sell their house for less than it's worth).... now wondering if I should have waited longer....

Your decision, but I don't expect to be buying for a few more years yet.

HOLA4418

Your decision, but I don't expect to be buying for a few more years yet.

I would like to be the same but sadly children's school choices wait for no man and it's a house we can live in until they've grown up and left the nest (even if that's when they are 40!).....

and we've been renting for three years now and the kids want to decorate their bedrooms and have pets.... (neither of which are permitted by our landlord).

I envy all those who can wait.... I think the price drops will be a beautiful thing...

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

I would like to be the same but sadly children's school choices wait for no man and it's a house we can live in until they've grown up and left the nest (even if that's when they are 40!).....

and we've been renting for three years now and the kids want to decorate their bedrooms and have pets.... (neither of which are permitted by our landlord).

I envy all those who can wait.... I think the price drops will be a beautiful thing...

Don`t know how you are buying, but couldn`t N.E and interest rate hikes cause more household friction than pets and wallpaper?

HOLA4421

When's the next round of printy printy? <_<

Doesn't matter. Will not help house prices.

Supply of credit will not rise.

Costs of borrowing will not fall.

Unemployment, earnings, public servants etc

HOLA4422

What's to stop a VI organisation publishing a headline grabbing figure only to quitely revise it down later ?

Govt statisticians, OBR, Treasury do it all the time

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Don`t know how you are buying, but couldn`t N.E and interest rate hikes cause more household friction than pets and wallpaper?

I'm a regular/addicted viewer of this site so I know and agree with all the arguments. If, and it's a big if, today's offer does go through to completion then it's a house we can comfortably afford even with big interest rate hikes and because it's a long term house and a repayment mortgage then so long as I own it at the end then the negative equity issue won't bother me in the middle years.

Sadly the current rental laws don't give enough security to people with children otherwise I'd happily keep on renting....

HOLA4425

I'm a regular/addicted viewer of this site so I know and agree with all the arguments. If, and it's a big if, today's offer does go through to completion then it's a house we can comfortably afford even with big interest rate hikes and because it's a long term house and a repayment mortgage then so long as I own it at the end then the negative equity issue won't bother me in the middle years.

Sadly the current rental laws don't give enough security to people with children otherwise I'd happily keep on renting....

Thats very fair, you're better of happy than to the good a few grand. You know what to expect, there are a great many fools out there who think they'll be protected by the gubbermint.