• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

and back under 5000 it goes

I wonder if it'll stay there? There seems to be some sort of psychological support level around 5000, ftse seems really reluctant to break through 5000 and get a foothold there. Even the Dow seems resigned to settling down under 11000 but the ftse seems resilient.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

Volatile is BAD, Volatile=unpredictable. If the stock went down 10% (D10), and you bought it the next day, and then it went up 10% (UP10), you'd be well pleased.

Small nitpick - if something goes down 10%, then up 10% then you've lost money!

e.g. start at 100, down 10% (of 100) is 100 - 10 = 90, up 10% (of 90) is 90 + 9 = 99.

HOLA449

More worried about the S&P500 as far as the ftse is concerned personally. And that is down again today. I dont really understand why though, its not like this news out of greece is even relevant. Greece is gone basically so who cares about their deficit targets. A greece default is already priced in.

Why do you assume default is priced in? Maybe the full bailout is priced in.

Impossible to know, surely?

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Got a friend who has just yesterday received his Halifax isa statement he rang me to ask how this could have lost so much he didn't believe me when i explained the situation to him and also their charges ,he marched up to the branch to complain to be told no one is available to see him . Wonder how many other people like him in the UK are still blind to see they are losing lots of money as they assumed that buying a product through a UK bank with a isa (government tag) FTSE trackers were 100% safe , the mind boggles.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

I would buy into a ftse tracker now and sell at the end of friday.

Reasons = alot of big data out at the end of this week and data has beat sentiment alot recently so could be good news.

I could be wrong and ftse could crash 60% and I lose all my money though :lol:

Edited by CleverBear

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

I would buy into a ftse tracker now and sell at the end of friday.

Reasons = alot of big data out at the end of this week and data has beat sentiment alot recently so could be good news.

I could be wrong and ftse could crash 60% and I lose all my money though :lol:

You would surely have to make quite a bit with a buy/sell spread being against you on two deals, assuming there is a spread? I was thinking of getting one myself through RBS, which has no commission, but again I would assume there is a spread. I would imagine there is a delay on execution of at least 24 hours using a high street bank, but I assume you deal direct with a broker?

Edit. In August I put 80K on notice from the Nottingham BS. Today is my last chance to get it out penalty free and a tracker looks tempting with p/e at 8. I think the market will fall to 4500 at some point, but today's price will be revisited very quickly IMO.

Edited by crashmonitor

HOLA4425

You would surely have to make quite a bit with a buy/sell spread being against you on two deals, assuming there is a spread? I was thinking of getting one myself through RBS, which has no commision, but again I would assume there is a spread. I would imagine there is a delay on execution of at least 24 hours using a high street bank, but I assume you deal direct with a broker?

Very little spread on some of the etfs tracking it. Can do it via broker, no stamp duty. Its bought that moment. Then can sell instantly too. Perfect :)