• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442

State size 30%. Not in this life.

Lawson saying "we can do it". He didn't have the demographic problems and the end of North Sea oil.

Well that was far too short.

Mason is the only person speaking the truth on this. This sort of thing is great though. The wife said to me tonight "I've seen lots of news about the economy picking up". On comes Newsnight. Emigration is back on the agenda!!!

So the next generation pay charges but the former don't so we can pay their pensions. How long before people over 60 get heckled, rightly or wrongly?

This 100 year bond is going straight into boomer pensions and NHS care.

Heckled?

Chopped up in their beds more like.

HOLA443
HOLA444

I think we might be about to get what we wished for. Mason's most recent blog entry on financial repression was interesting. Lots of people on here have savings. The state are going to want to get hold of that lovely stuff. Mason was saying the tactic is to capture it then inflate then give you it back when it's worth bugger all.

Which he basically just said again now on the programme.

They are going to screw the prudent and anyone who does not have a nice index linked BOE, Parliament or Public Sector pension.

HOLA445
HOLA446

Read it thoroughly: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17301032

As I've said on many a post, the demographic cliff is going to make the last decade look like clover.

Over the years i can remember reading various Demographic links on here.

This will come as a shock to some, but not your average HPCer.

No less unpalatable though.

Im planning on redoubling my efforts to hook up with my ex in the south of France.

It aint gonna be pretty anywhere, but at least its hot down there.

HOLA447
HOLA448

Being prudent was recently and is now and will be for the rest of our lives .... stupid. Do the minimum required for today, live for today, for there is no tomorrow. You save anything up and they'll take it from you. See the world while you can, do what you enjoy today, do not put anything off because you think it's responsible.

HOLA449

Over the years i can remember reading various Demographic links on here.

This will come as a shock to some, but not your average HPCer.

No less unpalatable though.

Im planning on redoubling my efforts to hook up with my ex in the south of France.

It aint gonna be pretty anywhere, but at least its hot down there.

Hard to know how to protect your savings from the state especially with recent retrospective legislation. Christ. To buy a house and buy a tie to the UK or to keep money in ISAs etc only to have the state insist I make a patriotic contribution on capital gains as inflation goes nuts.

HOLA4410

What did Mason say about immigration? A big infusion of young taxpayers are going to get us out of this mess?

I missed that bit. Kids woke up! That's always been the only way I can see them getting out of this. Special immigration rules for under 30s ie new ponzi entrants who will be grateful if they are from failed states.

HOLA4411

I missed that bit. Kids woke up! That's always been the only way I can see them getting out of this. Special immigration rules for under 30s ie new ponzi entrants who will be grateful if they are from failed states.

But even if newcomers pay taxes, what's to prevent them sending much of their dough back home, rather than spending it in the economy here? Surely huge sums go abroad at the moment.

HOLA4412

Being prudent was recently and is now and will be for the rest of our lives .... stupid. Do the minimum required for today, live for today, for there is no tomorrow. You save anything up and they'll take it from you. See the world while you can, do what you enjoy today, do not put anything off because you think it's responsible.

Yup. The unravelling of everything i have been taught.

Odd feeling. But ive known it for a decade really.

We all have.

Time to check out the Motorhomes on Ebay. :blink:

HOLA4413

But even if newcomers pay taxes, what's to prevent them sending much of their dough back home, rather than spending it in the economy here? Surely huge sums go abroad at the moment.

Not if you tax the crap out of them. Then why come? Because their state is half underwater...

Edited by bmf

HOLA4414

One of the advantages of not being a reserve currency, is that the currency tends to come back to this country fairly rapidly (often via exports). People don't hoard GBP in overseas countries, to anywhere near the extent that USD or even EUR gets hoarded.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

One of the advantages of not being a reserve currency, is that the currency tends to come back to this country fairly rapidly (often via exports). People don't hoard GBP in overseas countries, to anywhere near the extent that USD or even EUR gets hoarded.

Yep, but we don't have much to sell them, so they just buy up all the property (then counts as an export).

HOLA4417

Financial repression - limited interest on savings, make it difficult for people to invest their money anywhere to make a return?

Hmm, that is interesting isn't it - this is increasingly being talked about but from what I can see those with public sector pensions will be fine but private sector pension people will be screwed. Or am I missing something?

It happened in Argentina. Public sector middle class wiped out by raging inflation and - eventually in our case - non-fully index linked pensions. 5-10 years...

Edited by Killer Bunny

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

So we need massive more immigration do we... Hmm, buy a house now people.

Damn I missed that bit - is that really what was being proposed? By whom? Can they really not see the flaw in the plan, or indeed how much of our current predicament comes from trying to support x00,000 jobless immigrants and their extended families?

HOLA4420

Indeed

The top rated comment on Masons blog I suspect is rather c;lose to the truth on this whole debacle

Racking up debt and then inflating it away is a mechanism deliberately designed to keep all but the super wealthy in their place. Applied cyclically it becomes a "wealth harvest" pulling back any wealth which may have trickled won or been created by "ordinary" people and stashing it in the coffers of the rich.

The one thing the masses can not be allowed to do is to accumulate and control their own capital. If that was to happen how could they be controlled ?

HOLA4421

The woman from the TUC was mentally incoherent.

Complete inability to formulate any kind of logical response when Kirsty Wark repeatedly pressed her on why people cannot retire later.

As has been discussed on here many many times before the demographics timebomb is already going off.

The long held assumption of simply leaving the dining table and telling the waiter "that young guy sat over there is picking up the tab" no longer applies. There is no "young guy sat over there"!

The game's up. Reach into your own pocket and pay your own bill or report to the kitchen for scrubbing duty.

HOLA4422

The woman from the TUC was mentally incoherent.

Complete inability to formulate any kind of logical response when Kirsty Wark repeatedly pressed her on why people cannot retire later.

As has been discussed on here many many times before the demographics timebomb is already going off.

The long held assumption of simply leaving the dining table and telling the waiter "that young guy sat over there is picking up the tab" no longer applies. There is no "young guy sat over there"!

The game's up. Reach into your own pocket and pay your own bill or report to the kitchen for scrubbing duty.

The demographic are going against us now - literally.

The boomers started retiring thisyear. The big bulge occurs in about 5 years.

2012 onwards is not the best of time to have a an economy overburdened with debt.

HOLA4423

Damn I missed that bit - is that really what was being proposed? By whom? Can they really not see the flaw in the plan, or indeed how much of our current predicament comes from trying to support x00,000 jobless immigrants and their extended families?

They did indeed, using the same principal as QE no doubt, if it doesn't work first time keep going with the same idea cos we're correct and it will work eventually.

Couldn't see who said it, but frankly wasn't that bothered, I left the UK 2 years ago as I thought this was coming after all the lunacy in 2009 (across the board in terms of what the government were doing), will probably buy some extra bedding in case I have to put up any family :D

To be honest now you have to think like the immigrants these days "I'm living in a s@#! hole, where's better?", I'd certainly advise any person under 30 to look elsewhere particularly with this kind of news

Was indeed a very gloomy Newsnight, was quite surprised they were so honest, guess they realise they can't hide it any more

Edited by madpenguin

HOLA4424

What did Mason say about immigration? A big infusion of young taxpayers are going to get us out of this mess?

This is essential in order to create housing demand. You build 100,000 new houses per year and allow net inward migration of 500,000. And then you give the influx of new people state money to compete for somewhere to live (more money than the average wage-that bit is essential). It keeps rental and house prices up. It allows equity withdrawal and consumer spending. Everyone wins. Probably.

HOLA4425

This is essential in order to create housing demand. You build 100,000 new houses per year and allow net inward migration of 500,000. And then you give the influx of new people state money to compete for somewhere to live (more money than the average wage-that bit is essential). It keeps rental and house prices up. It allows equity withdrawal and consumer spending. Everyone wins. Probably.

Despite the rhetoric I think the powers that be realise proper jobs are an endangered species (apart from non-jobs in the likes of Tesco's).

They have obviously settled on the wizard plan you describe to keep things ticking over, British politicians never got out of the feudal area mentally, I guess thousands of serf's beholden to rich landowners fit's with that mindset. :lol:

Edited by madpenguin