House Price Crash Forum

Bournemouth And Poole

prosto_zabrevi

HOLA441

hi juvenal,

been reading your posts in various threads and appreciate your input.

the little villages to the north of bournemouth/ poole along the A31 corridor such as wimborne, ferndown etc seem appealing to me too.

could you perhaps select a couple of "star" picks off rightmove and reasons why they are better than the rest, ie quiet road, short distance to river walks, lovely views, extra big garden etc.

I have a budget of £250k so perhaps looking at asking prices up to £300k? schools not relevant as no kids

many thanks if you or anyone else with local knowledge could help

Need a bit more detail. Do you need to be near the A31 to get somewhere everyday, or do you work from home? Is being very close to Bournemouth an essential, or is ten miles out OK? Is nightlife a prerequisite? Are you looking for 'country life', or are the suburbs of Bournemouth OK? Period house, or modern gaff?

HOLA442

looking to commute to rickmansworth near M25 twice a week so access to M3 important.

just looking for a change of life. split up, have STR'd and have £250k.

currently live north of London in an area where a 3 bed mid terrace ex LA house sells for nearly £250k

want a detached house/ bungalow with garden. I am handy and have time for a refurb or extension

wanting access to beaches, nice walks. i am keen on running, cycling, walking and golf!

i tend to walk everywhere so would appreciate a few shops, pub etc local but want to avoid busy, hectic, built up areas.

I am very flexible with area as I just want to get away from where I am so anywhere relatively near to M3 suits.

i like swanage and had looked around there this month but the journey to rickmansworth would be too much. I imagine it would add an hour and a half to get to M27 some days. Would that be right?

southbourne i have read is nice (possibly it was you who posted this before?)

I had even considered west Isle of Wight if I commuted up once a week as house prices and quality of life would be great but I supect the commute would become very tiring very quickly.

So ferndown, wimborne etc leaves me with a 2 hour commute which is manageable.

Edited by pmcx9

HOLA443

looking to commute to rickmansworth near M25 twice a week so access to M3 important.

currently live north of London in an area where a 3 bed mid terrace ex LA house sells for nearly £250k

want a detached house/ bungalow with garden. I am handy and have time for a refurb or extension

wanting access to beaches, nice walks. i am keen on running, cycling, walking and golf!

i tend to walk everywhere so would appreciate a few shops, pub etc local but want to avoid busy, hectic, built up areas.

I am very flexible with area as I just want to get away from where I am so anywhere relatively near to M3 suits.

i like swanage and had looked around there this month but the journey to rickmansworth would be too much. I imagine it would add an hour and a half to get to M27 some days. Would that be right?

southbourne i have read is nice (possibly it was you who posted this before?)

I had even considered west Isle of Wight if I commuted up once a week as house prices and quality of life would be great but I supect the commute would become very tiring very quickly.

So ferndown, wimborne etc leaves me with a 2 hour commute which is manageable.

Ferndown has a single advantage that I can see. It's 6 miles inland from Poole, B'mouth and gets you quickly onto A31, M27, M3. If this twice weekly trip is the paramount consideration, then hunt in that area. But apart from its pine trees, it is singularly lacking in character, being mostly built around the main road running straight through it.The housing architecture is relatively modern and uninteresting. Shops are limited and you are well away from the sea.

If your outdoor activities dominate, and you fancy a small country town full of character - look at Wimborne. Shops, pubs, annual folk and blues festivals, small theatre, big market, lovely river Stour. Close enough to the variety of big name stores in Poole and Bournemouth, but surrounded by lovely countryside. With your bike on the roof rack (or riding it), you can explore the whole of the fabulous 20 miles of Jurassic Coast down to Weymouth. People come great distances to walk and climb on this stunning bit of coast. I've been around, and I've not seen its equal. Wimborne is just a few miles further on your twice-weekly Herts trip but it's attractive and has history.

I can't indicate specific properties, because I don't know individual roads/streets outside Poole and B'mouth, but I'm sure you can get what you want in your price bracket. Bungalows tend to be relatively expensive (but there's hundreds of them - one EA does only bungalows), and have biggish gardens. Houses have more inside, but often don't have quite the garden to match.

Treat yourself to a weekend down here. Wimborne in particular is compact, and you could look at a lot of places in a day. If you come down, pm me; we'll meet up and I'll show you round.

HOLA444

Thanks for advice juv.

been looking and prices are a little higher than i expected in the village with no detached properties under £290k but i will certainly keep an eye on rightmove to see what comes up in the next few weeks.

if i widen search to 1/2 mile and up to £300k there are 10 properties listed. What are Merley, Pilford and Colehill like or are they within the umbrerlla of Wimborne? Hard to judge locality without seeing it with my own eyes which I hope to do next week.

Edited by pmcx9

HOLA445

Thanks for advice juv.

been looking and prices are a little higher than i expected in the village with no detached properties under £290k but i will certainly keep an eye on rightmove to see what comes up in the next few weeks.

if i widen search to 1/2 mile and up to £300k there are 10 properties listed. What are Merley, Pilford and Colehill like or are they within the umbrerlla of Wimborne? Hard to judge locality without seeing it with my own eyes which I hope to do next week.

I'll be at Wimborne market in the morning and will try to have a quick look at these smaller places.

HOLA446

Ferndown has a single advantage that I can see. It's 6 miles inland from Poole, B'mouth and gets you quickly onto A31, M27, M3. If this twice weekly trip is the paramount consideration, then hunt in that area. But apart from its pine trees, it is singularly lacking in character, being mostly built around the main road running straight through it.The housing architecture is relatively modern and uninteresting. Shops are limited and you are well away from the sea.

Standard ignorant opinion above from someone who doesn't know Ferndown just drives through it ......

Shop's limited ?? Tesco , Sainsbury's , Iceland , Lidl , Superdrug , Boot's , Wilkinson's , dozens of other shops Nationwide , all the main banks , is that enough ? Ferndown is also a lot more than a few dwellings built up around the main road with a excellent leisure centre with pool's , nice park , ofsted grade 1 schools etc. etc. large pockets of heathland surrounding the town , and all this 15 minutes or less to the beach's , Bournemouth , New Forest , Dorset countryside , Wimborne etc etc . , and it doesn't get over run in summer by tourists .....

What our Dorset expert Juvenal hasn't told you is , you pay a hefty premium to live within 'walking distance' of the historic market town of Wimborne , as for Colehill it's a middle class residential area on top of a hill would you believe with just a handful of local shops , and a long long walk to Wimborne town centre . Merley is similar to Colehill another pleasant residential area but with little else to offer .

Edited by grey shark

HOLA447

thanks for your input grey.

i have done a quick search for detached properties in ferndown up to £290k and there are 38 to choose from so this bodes well from a buyers perspective.

I have played golf at ferndown many moons ago and do remember it being in a particularly attractive residential area but i confess on my frequent trips to purbeck i have driven straight through many times without taking the time to stop.

i think best thing i can do now is take a trip down and spend a day in and around the two towns.

HOLA448

i think best thing i can do now is take a trip down and spend a day in and around the two towns.

Definatly the best thing to do mate , your needs and wants for an area to live in will differ from mine or anyone else's , always best to do your own research and make your own assessments imo ..... we to came from North London - Harrow which despite famous for it's public school is now little more than a urban sh1thole in mine and many other peoples opinion .... would NEVER go back and live there again ...

Edited by grey shark

HOLA449
  • 2 weeks later...
HOLA4410

Happy New year to everyone and lets hope 2010 surprises us all - in a good way!

Can someone help me out - BH14 area (Lower Parkstone, Penn Hill, Ashley X area) - need to price new build 3 bed apartments very close to Ashley Cross - no sea views or anything. Secure parking. Good standard of build and fittings etc. Been trying to do some comps but cant seem to get a true picture of how they would price.

For instance - there is a block in Munster Road - no sea views but probably have views over Purbecks - 3 bed £400k and 2 bed £390K - seems alot to me!! Then you get 2 bed in Salterns Marina £400k - but that obviously has dual aspect views so stunning location (if thats what you are looking for). 2 bed Evening Hill (top floor so sea views) £375K. Savills have apartments 2 bed just off St Osmunds Road some with "sea" views £365k. 2 bed on Compton Avenue - Fairview Views which I believe is one of Mr Carr's properties - £345k.

I am not exactly getting how these are differently priced? Except of course the Salterns Marina one and I guess the Evening Hill one. How do apts in Munster Road go for £400k? I would assume that these are priced with "offers" in mind but even so. I guess it would be helpful if agents gave a total square footage or sq m.

I was told by a local resident that there was a shortage of 3 bed flats/apartments? Anyone know whether that is fact?

Thanks for any help.

• 3 weeks later...
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

I used to live in Rickmansworth as it happens. I now live in Charminster and regularly drive back up to Ricky to see family and friends. It rarely takes more than 1.5 hours, sometimes much less as it's motorway all the way.

I love Charminster. You can still get a Victorian semi for less than 200k in parts. My house is 20 minutes walk from the beach (boscombe) & same to the town centre. It's a 5 minute walk to Charminster Road where there are lots of international bars / cafes / restaurants, and 5 minutes to my favourite local real ale pub - The Brunswick. In the spring I can cycle from Charminster, along the seafront, across the sandbanks ferry in to the Purbecks which is just fantastic.

There's a 3 bed semi opposite me that's on for 180k (needs a lot of work though):

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-28127381.html

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

thanks ked.

on that rightmove link can you tell me which house it is on the google map in relation to where the pinpoint is?

would you agree that the street is a bit "studenty"?

If you go to the satalite view, the house is on the opposite side of the road and one to the right of the pin - the left half of the semi (as viewed from the air). No 51 I think.

Charminster has traditionally been considered a student area, although this has changed a lot over the lasts 10 years. Mainly due to the university building several high rise halls of residence in the Town centre, this has caused a massive drop in the student let market round here. This end of the street is all families and actually quite a nice community.

• 7 months later...
HOLA4417
  • 2 weeks later...
HOLA4418

Wimborne is well worth a look, plenty of older properties, a great weekly market and a beautiful river. Close to Poole, B'mouth and seaside!

Lovely area, I went to the 'Feast of Dorset' the other week, the weather was perfect and drove through the beautiful beech trees at kingston lacey.....best of all worlds :)

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4419
  • 4 months later...
HOLA4420

indeed lovely,

i grew up around those trees, fantstic view but i hope your rich.

after 10 years of poverty i left.

nice to go back to the anchor at shapwick now and then, but after 10 years in london my wallets a bit thicker.

ps dont own afarm like most the locals.

bob

Thankfully you don't need to be rich to enjoy them, and the fantastic countryside around them...we are so fortunate here in the UK to have such a wonderful countryside and nature around us and live in such a temperate climate.......I will look it up if/when I pass through again. ;)

• 5 months later...
HOLA4421
HOLA4422