House Price Crash Forum

Do You Have A Favourite Coin?

HOLA441

.....If so, why?

I'm guessing there are popular designs amongst collectors and I'd assume this is true for investors too, but what's the general consensus - stick to your faves, price on the day, or whatever takes your fancy?

Any to be avoided?

HOLA442

British gold soveigens due to their excemption from capital gains tax (CGT), they have a long history, were once in circulation and are the most well known bullion coin throughout the world, also they are a smaller size, easier to transport and carry without attracting attention, unlike the bigger 1 troy ounce coins like the Krugerrand, Eagle or Maples. My personal favourite is the King George V gold soveregins, especially the "big head versions", they are in better condition than the earlier Edward VII and Victoria sovereigens. Also picking up some of the recent low/special mintage 2002 and 2005 year sovereigns are worth considering as they can be bought for about a £5 more than a regular sov.

My other "historical" favorites are the 20 Swiss Franc Vrenelli, Italian 20 Lira (King Emanuelle II and Umberto) and French 20 Franc Napolean III coins, which can be bought near the spot price, but have a possible extra appreciation due to their history and age.

I would suggest not buying the proof coins, which trade well above spot price and their condition, handling and storage is all important and is best left to the coin afficinardos.

HOLA443

I like 1/4 Oz Britannias because they also are exempt from CGT, but unlike Sovs, 4 of 'em make a nice round ounce of gold.

HOLA444

China-2009-Sliver-Panda-Coin-Brilliant-Uncirculated-sm.jpgSilver Chinese Panda

Edited by Asheron

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

Victoria 'Young Head' sovereigns - Shield and St. George pattern.

I just think they took a bit more time and effort with the production of the old sovereigns compared to the modern versions - especially recently minted coins. Photos of a Shield I used to own attached.

But a word of warning - don't expect to get the premium back from a dealer or for nice looking or slightly rarer coins such as Shields if you sell.

IMGP2475.JPG

IMGP2476.JPG

post-10041-0-75918400-1331244576_thumb.jpg

post-10041-0-21149900-1331244585_thumb.jpg

HOLA449

I agree. Of the three portraits of Victoria in my opinion the Young Head was the nicest.

As I prefer to buy in whole ounces and cannot afford gold I buy American Siver Eagles.

Silver_American_Eagle.jpg

I think the quality is fantastic.

The Mexican Libertad is also great.

frontback-mexican_silver_libertad.jpg

post-33525-0-64231400-1331281263_thumb.jpg

post-33525-0-49770100-1331281455_thumb.jpg

Edited by Marcus Aurelius

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

I just think they took a bit more time and effort with the production of the old sovereigns compared to the modern versions - especially recently minted coins.

I agree with you there regarding the sovs. Also the everyday circulated coinage which the Royal Mint churn out are rubbish

HOLA4412

Also the everyday circulated coinage which the Royal Mint churn out are rubbish

Its a real shame. If you look at the pre-decimilization coinage their designs were fantastic. Even the smaller coinage such as the penny had iconic designs.

Although I do like the new idea of each coin having a part of the shield and when they are put together they form a full shield. The 'Olympic' theme with the 50p coins is an interesting idea as well.

HOLA4413
  • 3 weeks later...
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
  • 2 weeks later...
HOLA4417