House Price Crash Forum

Surely Rent Is The Same A Debt?

cardiffone

HOLA441

Surely paying rent is the same as being in debt?

Some people on this site seam to think they are not in debt when renting, but you are.

What the difference?

if you have a mortgage you have payments to make every month.

If you rent you have payments to make each month.

If you don't pay rent you are kicked out.

If you don't pay mortgage you are kicked out.

cheers

Edited by cardiffone

HOLA442
HOLA443

Some people on this site seam to think they are not in debt when renting, but you are.

What the difference?

cheers

239 posts and you are still at that level?

HOLA444
HOLA445

What the difference?

cheers

It's all about when you buy...

HOLA446
HOLA447

What the difference?

cheers

rent for 25 years pay 0% interest

buy over 25 years, pay a fluctuating amount of interest depending on the state of the economy.

buy = long term commitment, or be penalised for early exit

rent = short term commitment, feedom, options

Edited by Reck B

HOLA448
HOLA449

explain?

I reality there is no difference, and you know it.

Just because you're to stupid to know the difference, doesn't mean there's no difference, it just means you're to stupid to know the difference.

Ignorance is no excuse and no one is under any obligation to educate you in this very, very simple matter. Negative proof is not a valid argument.

HOLA4410

Just because you're to stupid to know the difference, doesn't mean there's no difference, it just means you're to stupid to know the difference.

Ignorance is no excuse and no one is under any obligation to educate you in this very, very simple matter. Negative proof is not a valid argument.

I think you're confused, i know the difference in technical definition, i'm asking a deeper question about true differences in practice...

really :lol:

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

buy over 25 years, pay a fluctuating amount of interest depending on the state of the economy.

Thats ignores inflation

rent for 25 years pay fluctuating and over time increasing amount depending on inflation, and a myriad of other factors.

My point really is, if you have to pay something, you might as well consider yourself to be in debt.

HOLA4413

Buy over 25 years pay price plus at least that again for house, but you'll at least have something at the end of it.

Rent over 25 years, zero liability, or interest paid, but you will of paid off your landlord's mortgage instead of your own. Plus you've got nothing to show for it apart from another rent demand.

Either way they have you screwed......unless you can buy outright of course.

HOLA4414

What the difference?

cheers

When you get kicked out and have a mortgage which results in repossession, your financial position is the liquidation value of the house minus the sum still owed on the mortgage. This could be positive or negative.

When you get kicked out because you haven't paid rent, you have no further financial gains or losses.

HOLA4415

What the difference?

cheers

oh dear.

based on this logic, when you're born you're already in debt. you're in debt because you need to eat. food costs money. hence you need to keep paying to survive. :rolleyes:

HOLA4416

When you get kicked out and have a mortgage which results in repossession, your financial position is the liquidation value of the house minus the sum still owed on the mortgage. This could be positive or negative.

When you get kicked out because you haven't paid rent, you have no further financial gains or losses.

Why are you being so helpful? He's either a moron or being deliberately obtuse. Either way, he deserves to be ignored.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

At the risk of feeding a troll, I can't resist responding.

Renting is very different to being in debt when your debt is secured on something as illiquid as a house.

Take my own circumstances as an example:

I have a lease which I can terminate on one month's notice and be free of that obligation. If my circumstances change, such as losing my job, I can terminate my lease and, depressingly, move back in with my parents faster than you can say 'yes Mum, I know life is still worth living'. The downside risk is minimal, but obviously with no chance of a gain from HPI.

If I have a mortgage, however, if I lose my job I still have to make repayments until I am able to sell my house (assuming I couldn't get a new job). Given current high prices and low transaction levels, the chances of a price correction are high and the prospects for getting a quick sale at a price which wouldn't see me lose a chunk of my deposit/equity are low. You are also vulnerable to interest rate shocks for which there is no comparable risk when renting.

Assuming nothing goes wrong in your life, the practical realities of being in debt are pretty much the same as those of having rental commitments.

When things go wrong, though, being in debt is far, far worse.

Edited by WageslaveX14

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

There seems to be a lot of business owners on this site.

Is it not more difficult to aquire start up capital without a house to secure your debt to?

I mean business men/women don't resort to debt to start out their companies, right? I mean debt is wrong etc...

HOLA4422

As mentioned, they are both liabilities. The fact that both have to be paid is no mystery, otherwise they would not be liabilities at all.

Yes, they both have the similarity that they require periodic payment for the use of an asset that has a large capital value. But this makes them no more equivalent than money received from a wage or money received from investment income, even though they too superficially deliver a similar 'user experience'.

The main differences are that debt is a fixed liability of nominal value, based on capital already consumed, whereas rent is a variable real liability where the use of the capital asset is being consumed on a roughly coincident basis.

HOLA4423

Rent is an expense, like paying for gas and electricity. And renting is considerably less risky than buying.

I will give you a simple example:

I have 100k worth of savings and my target house is a 250k.

If I lose my job tomorrow, I can live fairly comfortably (and feed myself) for approximately 8-10yrs in the house I rent.

If I buy my house for 250k, taking on a 150k mortgage, and lose my job, I am f...ed, I lose my house and I lose my 100k pretty much overnight.

How can you say that renting is like a mortgage?

When you rent you pay someone for a service, when you have a mortgage you are in debt and have liabilities. In one case you end up in the street but with no debt, in the other case you also end in in the street but with debts, poor credit ratings...

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

The main differences are that debt is a fixed liability of nominal value, based on capital already consumed, whereas rent is a variable real liability where the use of the capital asset is being consumed on a roughly coincident basis.

In what sense is the capital consumed with a mortgage debt?