House Price Crash Forum

Rightmove Asking Price Index Out Tomorrow (Mon)

mrpleasant

HOLA441
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443

How is tbe delusion index looking?

Only available up to Jan as the Nationwide data lags the RM data so if the figure is 5 odd percent this month the delusion index won't show it until the NW data is released.

**Usual caveats apply

HDI_Jan_2012.jpg

** Caveats: due to each index making up their own definitions of "average" (geometric/arithmetic etc) as they go along this data is qualitative not quantitative and should be used for comparison/correlation purposes only.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

My next door neighbour put his place up for sale 8 weeks ago. It went sold 4 weeks later and now it's completed as he's gone.

Few others sold too on the street, so it looks quite buoyant where I am (Swindon)

Good price?

Not far from where I am, someone put a 4-bed detached bungalow on (Blenheim Chase, SS9, AP £250K) and it seems to have sold in 2 days, but the asking price was fairly realistic for these days, although what the price for that property was in 2005 I don't know. If they're realistic then yes they will sell fast I guess

http://www.nethouseprices.com/index.php?con=sold_prices_street_detail&street=BLENHEIM+CHASE&locality=LEIGH-ON-SEA&town=LEIGH-ON-SEA&cCode=EW&year=All&house_style=All&house_age=All&search_radius=&outcode=SS9&incode=3BH&isSearchPostcode=1

HOLA447

My next door neighbour put his place up for sale 8 weeks ago. It went sold 4 weeks later and now it's completed as he's gone.

Few others sold too on the street, so it looks quite buoyant where I am (Swindon)

Sale to completion in 4 weeks? Pull the other one......

I liked it when Miles used to post on here, or 'Zorn' as he was known back then ;)

HOLA448

Which area was this in? I watch the Swindon market closely (via rightmove) so am interested which EA "sold" actually converted to a real life "sold"

give us a clue I'll guess it in 3 ;)

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

In November it was record drops http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-2064167/Rightmove-Sellers-drop-asking-prices-largest-start-recession.html

Now it's record rises, highest in 10 years http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20120219-705182.html

It's laughable really, smells a tad fishy

It is supposedly NEW to the market sellers' asking prices

Because this index isn't seasonally adjusted it swings quite widely with the seasons. But overall it has pretty much not moved since peak. Sold prices have fallen but asking prices are as high as ever. Partly due to the majority of sellers actually never selling and giving up, partly because a lot of houses go through several reductions and partly because bigger discounts off the asking price are going through.

All in all this index is a total waste of time other than advertising for rightmove each month.

Edited by Pent Up

HOLA4412

Because this index isn't seasonally adjusted it swings quite widely with the seasons. But overall it has pretty much not moved since peak. Sold prices have fallen but asking prices are as high as ever. Partly due to the majority of sellers actually never selling and giving up, partly because a lot of houses go through several reductions and partly because bigger discounts off the asking price are going through.

All in all this index is a total waste of time other than advertising for rightmove each month.

I did actually see some come new to market a few months ago at humorous prices, but quite a few of them were soon down in price to nearer Earth once they saw they didn't even get one viewer in the door, probably. Come to think of it, I see new to market properties in my Inbox daily at prices that seem very ambitious, but I think they're wasting everybody's time

HOLA4413

Good price?

Not far from where I am, someone put a 4-bed detached bungalow on (Blenheim Chase, SS9, AP £250K) and it seems to have sold in 2 days, but the asking price was fairly realistic for these days, although what the price for that property was in 2005 I don't know. If they're realistic then yes they will sell fast I guess

http://www.nethouseprices.com/index.php?con=sold_prices_street_detail&street=BLENHEIM+CHASE&locality=LEIGH-ON-SEA&town=LEIGH-ON-SEA&cCode=EW&year=All&house_style=All&house_age=All&search_radius=&outcode=SS9&incode=3BH&isSearchPostcode=1

It was above the price I paid 27 months ago, so chuffed with that, but yes wasn't mentally priced.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

I did actually see some come new to market a few months ago at humorous prices, but quite a few of them were soon down in price to nearer Earth once they saw they didn't even get one viewer in the door, probably. Come to think of it, I see new to market properties in my Inbox daily at prices that seem very ambitious, but I think they're wasting everybody's time

I saw a house which sold for £230k just about dead on peak. Came back to market middle of last year for £275k. 6 months later reduced to £249k. Now down to £225k which probably isn't that unrealistic an asking price for the current market considering they are likely to get offers 10% below that at around the £200k level. Obviously I would want more like 30% off asking on that one ;p

But the above example shows how meaningless the rightmove index is as this property would have shown in the stats as +20% (assuming previous asking price similar to the selling price) but In reality it's a slight decrease in asking price and the reductions might not be over yet!

HOLA4417

Same old story. Everything is fixed to avert a crash. It's clear to me, here in SW London, that there will never be a crash and I've missed the boat. I'll probably never buy a house in England now.

I could have bought two years ago but was convinced something would have to change so held on. As it is, even a fall in prices round here would probably only take me back to that position.

HOLA4418

Same old story. Everything is fixed to avert a crash. It's clear to me, here in SW London, that there will never be a crash and I've missed the boat. I'll probably never buy a house in England now.

I could have bought two years ago but was convinced something would have to change so held on. As it is, even a fall in prices round here would probably only take me back to that position.

Something will change, but it may take longer than you will be prepared to wait. In 2004 I was also unsure if buying in London was really such a good idea, but was not prepared to wait any longer. Had I not bought back then I would still wait today, 8 years on. In the meantime we sold our first property last year with a very good profit and used the profit (and some savings we were able to make due to the extremely low interest rates of our BOE +0.6% lifetime tracker) for a 20% deposit on a nice semi. So far I cannot see much change in London. But I am sure it will come eventually.

HOLA4419

Something will change, but it may take longer than you will be prepared to wait. In 2004 I was also unsure if buying in London was really such a good idea, but was not prepared to wait any longer. Had I not bought back then I would still wait today, 8 years on. In the meantime we sold our first property last year with a very good profit and used the profit (and some savings we were able to make due to the extremely low interest rates of our BOE +0.6% lifetime tracker) for a 20% deposit on a nice semi. So far I cannot see much change in London. But I am sure it will come eventually.

if there is going to be a change it will be over many years, i cant see the HPC coming now, it has just gone on too long, i think if you can wait another 5 years or so then do it,

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

In recent years, Rightmove have announced a rise in their asking price index each January. However, last month, they reported a fall in their January 2012 data. So, it's not really a surprise that the February number saw a bounce back from that.

Adding Jan & Febs numbers for the last few years shows that this latest data is more than likely a statistical blip.

Jan 2010: Up 0.4%

Feb 2010: Up 3.2%

Total for first two months of the year: Up 3.6%

Jan 2011: Up 0.3%

Feb 2011: Up 3.1%

Total for first two months of the year: Up 3.4%

Jan 2012: DOWN 0.8%

Feb 2012: Up 4.1%

Total for first two months of the year: Up 3.3%

HOLA4422

In recent years, Rightmove have announced a rise in their asking price index each January. However, last month, they reported a fall in their January 2012 data. So, it's not really a surprise that the February number saw a bounce back from that.

Adding Jan & Febs numbers for the last few years shows that this latest data is more than likely a statistical blip.

Jan 2010: Up 0.4%

Feb 2010: Up 3.2%

Total for first two months of the year: Up 3.6%

Jan 2011: Up 0.3%

Feb 2011: Up 3.1%

Total for first two months of the year: Up 3.4%

Jan 2012: DOWN 0.8%

Feb 2012: Up 4.1%

Total for first two months of the year: Up 3.3%

Good work!

Nevertheless, it is rather depressing.

I don't accept the 'Rightmove data is useless' argument one person put forward in the thread above. It does measure the sentiment of buyers putting their homes on the market and as a measure of that - rather than house prices per se as it is often presented by the media - it's useful.

I rreally don't understand it this latest release - perhaps the best explanation is that I was in Westminster Sainsburys last night which I assume serves many people who have houses there which are apparently booming in price ad infinitum and there was a 'Special Offer!"' on 2X4 yoghurts for £3.50. The price of a single pack of 4 was £1.84.

Edited by Unsafe As Houses

HOLA4423

Good work!

I don't accept the 'Rightmove data is useless' argument one person put forward in the thread above. It does measure the sentiment of buyers putting their homes on the market and as a measure of that - rather than house prices per se as it is often presented by the media - it's useful.

I rreally don't understand it this latest release - perhaps the best explanation is that I was in Westminster Sainsburys last night which I assume serves many people who have houses there which are apparently booming in price ad infinitum and there was a 'Special Offer!"' on 2X4 yoghurts for £3.50. The price of a single pack of 4 was £1.84.

I agree. Trying to sell my house at the moment and locally there is lots of interest - unusual for Feb. but that tends to mean EAs suggest silly prices. Fact is though there is s dearth of quality stuff out there so the good ones shine out. We are encouraging offers - should be interesting at Easter time, assuming the buyers come out to play.

I am mindful of the fact shown on Rightmove that 50% of houses last year failed to sell due to silly prices, poor presentation etc. It is amazing how many sellers do not realise you have to make an effort - buyers don't like toys all over the place and paint is a wonderful thing...

HOLA4424

I agree. Trying to sell my house at the moment and locally there is lots of interest - unusual for Feb. but that tends to mean EAs suggest silly prices. Fact is though there is s dearth of quality stuff out there so the good ones shine out. We are encouraging offers - should be interesting at Easter time, assuming the buyers come out to play.

I am mindful of the fact shown on Rightmove that 50% of houses last year failed to sell due to silly prices, poor presentation etc. It is amazing how many sellers do not realise you have to make an effort - buyers don't like toys all over the place and paint is a wonderful thing...

Forget all that, just get the price right.

HOLA4425

Good work!

The increased interest is probably due to the stamp duty holiday ending. Agents see some slight interest so value slightly higher. I don't think many vendors ring up an agent and tell them the price to put it on at. They just go with what the 'property experts' tell them. So I suppose you could use it to gauge agent sentiment but even then it's quite misleading without a seasonal adjustment.