HOLA441
  • Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Northern Ireland household spending power 'half the UK average'

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-36906990

Household spending power in Northern Ireland is about half the UK average, according to new data.

Compiled for Asda by London economists CEBR, the latest income tracker shows families in the region have an extra £8 a week compared with a year ago.

However, their discretionary income of £103 a week compares with a record UK average of £201.

Additionally, it says almost 10% of Northern Ireland workers in 2014 were employed at or below the minimum wage compared with just over 5% across the UK as a whole.

Wales has discretionary income of £180 a week, Scotland has £200, and the poorest English region, the north-east, has £133.

The pace of growth has slowed considerably for Northern Ireland householders - it rose by 9% between April and June, compared with 18% in the corresponding quarter of 2015.

• 2 months later...
HOLA443
  • 5 months later...
HOLA444
  • 2 weeks later...
HOLA445
On 13/04/2017 at 11:20 AM, willie said:

I noted a few days ago the Bel tel trumpeting that NI house prices have risen 5.7% this last year.  How does that sit with today's figure that the NI economy is 5% lower than 2007?

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/northern-ireland-economy-5-below-2007-crash-level-35619916.html

"The NI economy is 5% lower than 2007" NI House prices are 45% lower than they were in 2007 

• 4 months later...
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
58 minutes ago, darkmarket said:

I presume the market is doing great, I've never seen so many attempts to paint a rosy picture in the face of obvious drops. Barclays prosperity index indeed.

Exactly. They're up to something. Still trying to figure out who They are, of course. 

• 2 months later...
HOLA4414

Is it just me, or has there been loads of ongoing renovation projects on either existing shops, buildings in decay, and on spare land all around the belfast city area? I’m not sure where the cash for all this has come from... is this the result of banks throwing money about the place again?

HOLA4415
1 hour ago, whome_yesyou said:

Is it just me, or has there been loads of ongoing renovation projects on either existing shops, buildings in decay, and on spare land all around the belfast city area? I’m not sure where the cash for all this has come from... is this the result of banks throwing money about the place again?

The money won't be coming from the standard banks. Take a look at the charges on some of the developments. 

• 2 years later...
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Thompson Aero Seating: 500 jobs at risk of redundancy

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-52915130

Up to 500 workers could be made redundant by Portadown-based Thompson Aero Seating.

The Chinese-owned firm, which makes aircraft seats, employs about 1,300 people across four factories in Northern Ireland.

The potential redundancies are in addition to 330 job losses announced in March.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
3 minutes ago, nigooner said:

Franky and Bennys made an announcement that they’re not reopening 100+ of their restaurants, although I don’t know how many units were left in NI before covid

Bombardier announces 2500 global redundancies. Nothing on NI yet. Spirit Aero bought the place recently.

• 4 months later...
HOLA4421