House Price Crash Forum

Just Paid £1 Off My Mortgage With 2p I've Found On The Floor

HOLA441

I'm currently putting all the money I find on the street in a jar and paying it off my mortgage.

Today was the first time I've got £1 in 2p so I've been and paid it off, along with 80p in 10p.

So far I'd paid off £3.50 in pound coins and 50ps. Although that was really £3.52 as I found another 2p on the way to the bank to pay it in.

Not filled the 1p bag yet and I'm probably about £3 short of 5ps.

Obviously I'm also overpaying by larger amounts but every penny counts.

Over the length of the mortgage all of these pennies will add up.

Although the wife does think I'm a bit insane and I don't think she'd take the pennies into the bank.

Over the lifetime of the mortgage I expect to pay off several hundred pounds this way.

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
I'm currently putting all the money I find on the street in a jar and paying it off my mortgage.

Today was the first time I've got £1 in 2p so I've been and paid it off, along with 80p in 10p.

So far I'd paid off £3.50 in pound coins and 50ps. Although that was really £3.52 as I found another 2p on the way to the bank to pay it in.

Although the wife does think I'm a bit insane and I don't think she'd take the pennies into the bank.

Over the lifetime of the mortgage I expect to pay off several hundred pounds this way.

Could be a shrewd move.

My grandmother got a hefty fine for not having a TV Licence. She started paying off the fine in a similar manner, 87p one week, then maybe £1.32 the next week, 43p the week after. Always a different figure.

In the end they got so tired of her ass they just wrote the fine off themselves.

HOLA443

You should have posted this on the 'mundane' thread.

HOLA444
Guest happy?

There's a twelve-step programme for you here:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.html?f=98

HOLA445

Look under park benches and underneath where they chain up the supermarket trolleys. I've often found £1 there.

Also worth dredging ornamental pools in public places as people seem to throw coins in them for some reason. Take the kids with you with a fishing net and pretend you don't realise they are doing it. The cost of the net will pay for itself in minutes and the kids will think you are a great dad for buying it for them.

HOLA446
Look under park benches and underneath where they chain up the supermarket trolleys. I've often found £1 there.

Also worth dredging ornamental pools in public places as people seem to throw coins in them for some reason. Take the kids with you with a fishing net and pretend you don't realise they are doing it. The cost of the net will pay for itself in minutes and the kids will think you are a great dad for buying it for them.

No offence, but do you do rounds? ;)

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
Guest happy?
Just keep your eyes open for them undated 20p pieces and your mortgage will be paid off in no time.

Bizarrely there's one on eBay for £100,000 - those in the know will get an EF one for about £25 - £30. When the bidding goes beyond £200 you know you're dealing with idiots. Mules are common, asses herd on eBay.

HOLA4410

Excellent, I'll have to flog the golf balls at a car boot.

Just keep your eyes open for them undated 20p pieces and your mortgage will be paid off in no time.

I wonder how many of them are sat in banks. It could sort out there need for capital.

They could even rig an auction on ebay and get the bidding up to £100m for a coin and then claim all coins are worth said out suddenly they have all the capital they need for regulation requirements.

HOLA4411
Could be a shrewd move.

My grandmother got a hefty fine for not having a TV Licence. She started paying off the fine in a similar manner, 87p one week, then maybe £1.32 the next week, 43p the week after. Always a different figure.

In the end they got so tired of her ass they just wrote the fine off themselves.

Perhaps I should just take each coin in as I find it to pay down the debts then? That could be an interesting tactic I wonder at what point the bank would send me a letter if I kept paying it off that way.

They can't refuse legal tender can they?

Perhaps everyone on HPC should join in and see what happens with thousands of people paying a penny off the mortgage each time.

Just found 3p more in the park. :P

HOLA4412
No offence, but do you do rounds? ;)

Not sure what you mean - Ward Rounds?

I use to. Patients often kept loose change on the bedside cabinet to pay for a newspaper and if you were sly enough you could slide the coins into your white coat during the ward round while no one was watching.

Why do you ask? Did you lose change?

I am joking-really

HOLA4413

Just paid off £1 in 1p and £1 in 2p that the wife had collected up.

Ended up paying £12.40 in total, £10 was interest from my reward account.

Once I can find out how to set up a paying from by online bank account I can then start to transfer the small amounts of interest from that to my mortgage.

They wouldn't accept my 5p as I hadn't got enough to fill a bag, and I was 2p off being able to give them another bag of 1ps.

Every little helps.

HOLA4414
Bizarrely there's one on eBay for £100,000 - those in the know will get an EF one for about £25 - £30. When the bidding goes beyond £200 you know you're dealing with idiots. Mules are common, asses herd on eBay.

I noticed ordinary circulated shield type 20ps being sold on ebay - one went for £6 on 1st July

The seller said the date was on the front and made no claim it was rare or unusual but presumably the buyer thought having a date on the front made this a valuable coin.

Many ordinary 20p coins still for sale on ebay

One born every minute

HOLA4415

You checked the back of your sofa yet? Easy money!

Also, when getting the bus (remember to pay in the petrol money you've saved!) check the gap between seats. Pubs are also excellent sources of shrapnel, but dangerous as I usual drink 50x the amount I find.

Ah, this takes me back to my youth.... "we were so poor, we 'ad t' eat gravel"

Just out of interest, anybody know what the saving is for every £1 you offset on a 25 year mortgage? Just pick an interest rate out of the air......

HOLA4416
I noticed ordinary circulated shield type 20ps being sold on ebay - one went for £6 on 1st July

The seller said the date was on the front and made no claim it was rare or unusual but presumably the buyer thought having a date on the front made this a valuable coin.

Many ordinary 20p coins still for sale on ebay

One born every minute

Gotta love Gumtree!

http://dundee.gumtree.com/dundee/81/41321781.html

HOLA4417
miss print

Edukation, educashun, edyoukashun.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

IRRO, I feel for you. If you had a Co-op tracker the divi would pay all of your mortgage. I hate to see some of the great HPC posters grubbing about on the street. Can you switch?

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/12bbfc02-67fa-11...144feabdc0.html

HOLA4418
Just out of interest, anybody know what the saving is for every £1 you offset on a 25 year mortgage? Just pick an interest rate out of the air......

It's going to save you about the same in interest, the reapyments on a mortgage are usually about double the capital I think.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Better still, file down some 50 pence pieces :ph34r:

HOLA4422
I never find any money on the street.

I always seem to be more interested in looking up at the trees and I just glance down now and then to check for dogsh!t.

I walked out of Rye Station one sunny Saturday and saw a tenner on the floor, a quick lick of the finger to check the wind :P and found a further £20 note and another tenner, some poor bugger must have bought a very expensive kebab on Friday night.

Moral.......maybe you should keep looking up and maybe your luck would change ;)

p.s. I f'cking hate dogs

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
Or get lynched when people realise it's their money your are finding.

Well, seeing as it wasn't in a wallet, I decided to keep it, finders keepers and all that, if it had been in a wallet I'd most certainly handed it in to a police station, as far as i'm aware lynch mobs haven't been in sleepy Rye for a while :P

HOLA4425