House Price Crash Forum

Shropshire

tplatt

HOLA441
I keep having a look at this thread to see what people have said about my hometown. On the whole I think we are all in agreement...but I have to pull you up on your advice to avoid Monkmoor and Castlefields. There are parts of each I would avoid but Castlefields is a great little community, with history and is 5 minutes away from the town centre and Trains. (lots of dog muck though) and as for Monkmoor, the streets off Monkmoor road and underdale road are lovely. Plus Belvidere school is oversubscribed every year.

Alas, things have changed with regards to the streets off Underdale and Monkmoor Road - I have friends who live there (have lived in their house on Crowmere Road for about 20 years) and they say it's gone downhill over the years. The streets around there now have (and have had for about 5 years) serious anti-social behaviour problems. It's a shame because the terraced houses in that part of town are themselves quite nice, but the area has gone downhill. As for Castlefields - I take your point, however again the small nice part of Castlefields is dwarfed by its neighbouring dumps.

Both areas I would therefore avoid, if only because d*ckheads from neighbouring parts ruin them. Belvidere is a fairly good area, and I put it under the "swathes of middle class suburbia" category.

Edited by Mr Deflation

HOLA442

Thanks for adding those insights into Shrewsbury and the county - really interesting reading.

Have been watching the local market in and around Shrewsbury for about a year now (looking to buy for around 200-230k, looking at houses on the market up to 300k). Seems very flat - there's been a bit of a bounce in terms of sales recently but I'm still seeing the same properties on the market. Several have gone STC then back on again for sale; have put in one cheeky offer that was rejected... but 14 months on the property in question (a semi in Belle Vue) is still on the market with no takers as yet (it's already been reduced by over 40k too...)

It really does seem to be a stalemate between buyers and vendors with feckless EAs caught in the middle.

• 1 month later...
HOLA443
I keep having a look at this thread to see what people have said about my hometown. On the whole I think we are all in agreement...but I have to pull you up on your advice to avoid Monkmoor and Castlefields. There are parts of each I would avoid but Castlefields is a great little community, with history and is 5 minutes away from the town centre and Trains. (lots of dog muck though) and as for Monkmoor, the streets off Monkmoor road and underdale road are lovely. Plus Belvidere school is oversubscribed every year.

I couldn't resist joining this site to add to these posts. I sold my house in a good part of Bristol in April in order to return to my home town of Ludlow. It has not proven easy at all, with the result that I am now about to move from a 5/6 bed house to a three bed rental, and not out of choice. Our first seller pulled out, and within our price range there is very very little on the market. We need a fairly large house to accommodate three children and a home office. There are plenty of top of the range properties (which dont shift) and plenty of modern estate cheaper houses but nothing in between. We have also found that, of the possible properties, a high percentage have been on the market two years or more and simply are not open to reasonable offers. For example, one house has been on the market for two years, dropping from 500k to £450, and wont consider anything lower. We were more realistic in selling our own house, and clearly cant afford to lose at both ends.

• 4 weeks later...
HOLA444
I couldn't resist joining this site to add to these posts. I sold my house in a good part of Bristol in April in order to return to my home town of Ludlow. It has not proven easy at all, with the result that I am now about to move from a 5/6 bed house to a three bed rental, and not out of choice. Our first seller pulled out, and within our price range there is very very little on the market. We need a fairly large house to accommodate three children and a home office. There are plenty of top of the range properties (which dont shift) and plenty of modern estate cheaper houses but nothing in between. We have also found that, of the possible properties, a high percentage have been on the market two years or more and simply are not open to reasonable offers. For example, one house has been on the market for two years, dropping from 500k to £450, and wont consider anything lower. We were more realistic in selling our own house, and clearly cant afford to lose at both ends.

It is the same stalemate everywhere I think.

The area around Clun is gorgeous, a real gem and gets good dark skies for astronomy :)

HOLA445

Have just returned from spending a few days away in Shropshire and Herefordshire, staying on the edge of Hereford. Hereford is terrible - a bit like Reading only much worse. Police everywhere and drunken youths littering the streets.

We visited Ludlow, but couldn't find anywhere to park (there is a massive parking problem there), so gave up and decided to return the following day (Sunday), when it was still difficult to find a parking space. A very pretty little town, but I have been told it floods. On driving about, I noticed that Herefordshire is absolutely empty. There are only a few houses dotted about, like hamlets and there don't appear to be any proper villages. One thing I noticed is that there are tons of pubs, like every couple of miles and they appear to be in a sparse area. How on earth do they survive? I know that Herefordshire has a serious flooding problem and I am guessing this is why there is not much in the way of houses or people living there.

Can anyone tell me the areas of Herefordshire that don't flood as I know there is a flood plain, but not sure where exactly that is. Apart from Ludlow, are there any other areas of Shropshire that flood?

Edited by tplatt

• 1 month later...
HOLA446

just returned to this thread to see if the OP had decided it was a nice place to live. Ludlow did flood in 2007 - lost the 'new' bridge over the Corve and the low lying parts were under water but most of the town and the surrounding nice parts of the countryside are on hills. Parking can be a b..... on Saturdays - all those 4 x 4 s but during the week it is usually OK and it is fairly cheap compared to some towns. There is a shortage of property in Ludlow + 10 miles unless it is overpriced but the sensibly priced 'nice house' are allegedly flying off the shelves. There is anecdotal evidence of people who work in Brum buying houses in South Shroppie because of the nice area / schools / good quality of life etc and commuting :o

love it here - about to try and sell my country cottage and move nearer Tenbury Wells /Bromyard (more nice market towns with hills.)

• 4 weeks later...
HOLA447

just returned to this thread to see if the OP had decided it was a nice place to live. Ludlow did flood in 2007 - lost the 'new' bridge over the Corve and the low lying parts were under water but most of the town and the surrounding nice parts of the countryside are on hills. Parking can be a b..... on Saturdays - all those 4 x 4 s but during the week it is usually OK and it is fairly cheap compared to some towns. There is a shortage of property in Ludlow + 10 miles unless it is overpriced but the sensibly priced 'nice house' are allegedly flying off the shelves. There is anecdotal evidence of people who work in Brum buying houses in South Shroppie because of the nice area / schools / good quality of life etc and commuting :o

love it here - about to try and sell my country cottage and move nearer Tenbury Wells /Bromyard (more nice market towns with hills.)

Cleobury Mortimer is nice, too. I think reports of flooding are exaggerated. Our rental cottage is on the riverbank in Ludlow- during the 2007 floods the water was still a foot below the hose, though in the garden. There havent been floods since one in the 1940's before 2007. Also, I have been back here for nearly 3 months now, and havnt failed to park so far.

• 3 weeks later...
HOLA448

One for the Salopians...

http://www.shrewsburychronicle.com/2009/11/19/you-need-a-salary-of-51000-to-buy-a-house/

:ph34r:

You need a salary of £51,000 to buy a house

Residents in Shrewsbury and Atcham need to be earning more than £51,000 if they want to buy their own home, according to shocking new statistics.

According to research carried out by the National Housing Federation (NHF), average house prices in the area are £199,535.

And that means that families living in Shrewsbury and Atcham would need to be earning £51,309 to get a mortgage to buy an average priced home. But according to the Annual Survey of Hours and Earnings (ASHE) for 2008, average earnings are only £17,649 - about a third of what would be needed.

Currently there are 1,237 households are on a waiting list for affordable homes in the area, but NHF regional head Gina King said many people are now giving up hope of finding an affordable home.

Ms King said: “It is disappointing to see that housing waiting lists rose faster than any other region last year. The West Midlands is a market which remains unaffordable, has the highest unemployment rate of any English region and still witnesses vast numbers of families in unsuitable accommodation, with one in 20 families in social housing living in overcrowded housing.

“Demand still outstrips supply, and at the rate we are building it is simply not possible to keep pace with housing waiting lists rising at such an alarming rate.”

Across the whole county almost 7,000 people are on waiting lists because they can’t afford to buy a home outright.

In south Shropshire, the most expensive area in the county, the average house price is £242,702, meaning a family would need to have an annual income of £62,400 to be able to afford a mortgage there.

And in north Shropshire the average house price is £209,235, with families needing to earn £53,803 to be able to buy a home.

Nice to see a dose of reality in the local rag. It wasn't so long ago they made a local EA's claim to be selling 200% more houses than they were in 2008 a headline story (naturally, they didn't mention what the sales volumes were to support that percentage...)

• 4 weeks later...
HOLA449

One for the Salopians...

http://www.shrewsburychronicle.com/2009/11/19/you-need-a-salary-of-51000-to-buy-a-house/

:ph34r:

Nice to see a dose of reality in the local rag. It wasn't so long ago they made a local EA's claim to be selling 200% more houses than they were in 2008 a headline story (naturally, they didn't mention what the sales volumes were to support that percentage...)

Quoting average house prices and working out necessary salary is not always useful. You cant sum up a whole county in one calculation. Social housing will always be in demand, everywhere, and first time buyers struggle now because they cant get the deposit together while renting.

What about 6678sq ft in Wellington for £190k

• 4 weeks later...
HOLA4410
  • 3 weeks later...
HOLA4411

Wellington is a dump, probably the worst town in Shropshire!

In any case that is a pub. Which would require a lot of work (and capital) to get it up to scratch either as a viable business or a home.

Many empty or disused licensed properties often occupy prime city and town centre locations and enjoy spacious yards, car parks, beer gardens and out buildings and offer excellent change of use and property redevelopment or refurbishment opportunities.

Telford isnt desirable, but Wellington is a little town in its own right, which is just attached to Telford and Wrekin for admin and by ring roads

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4412

Many empty or disused licensed properties often occupy prime city and town centre locations and enjoy spacious yards, car parks, beer gardens and out buildings and offer excellent change of use and property redevelopment or refurbishment opportunities.

Telford isnt desirable, but Wellington is a little town in its own right, which is just attached to Telford and Wrekin for admin and by ring roads

You clearly have NEVER been to Wellington. It is a complete dump and is part of the Telford conurbation. There are no fields between Wellington and the rest of the new town, it is one big urban sprawl. As for this pub - NO part of Wellington town centre is "prime", it is a dump. All of it.

HOLA4413

You clearly have NEVER been to Wellington. It is a complete dump and is part of the Telford conurbation. There are no fields between Wellington and the rest of the new town, it is one big urban sprawl. As for this pub - NO part of Wellington town centre is "prime", it is a dump. All of it.

Its in the shadow of the Wrekin with the golf club over the M54 and all country side the other way?

HOLA4414
  • 9 months later...
HOLA4415

you have to be careful with statements like this - I feel you need to qualify your comments with 'centre of wellington' to which I can agree with your sentiments - i say this because leave Wellington by only a few miles and you are in the countryside - if you travel from wellington to Shrewsbury down the old A5, there are many very nice small villages/communities I would highly recommend.

Kaine

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4416

Well, yes, obviously... but those "many very nice small villages/communities" are not Wellington, are they?

Shropshire, like most counties, has its contrasts. Some towns are nice, others not so. Even some villages are shit holes.

And then take Shrewsbury itself: half cr*p, half decent. And all of it well over-rated and over-priced!!

Edited by Mr Deflation

• 4 weeks later...
HOLA4417

Well, yes, obviously... but those "many very nice small villages/communities" are not Wellington, are they?

Not obvious at all - every town has good and bad so your original comment has no relevance hence my reply

I do accept your objective comment though - as most towns Wellington does have horrid areas

HOLA4418

Mr Deflation, I would love to know where you are from. It is true that Wellington centre has become run down. Its charity shop heaven which is always a sure sign. But have you ever lived in Peckham? Lets look on the bright side. Wellington has some very good schools, is surrounded by beautiful Shropshire countryside, is attached to very large modern industry, and has good motorway links to the West Midlands one way, and easy routes to Wales the other, still has its own swimming pool, is close to Oakengates theatre,is the home of Telford FC, a 5 minute drive from historic Ironbridge, the birthplace of industry, and property is reasonably priced.

Now lets get onto Wem. Any strong feelings on Wem?

HOLA4419

Mr Deflation, I would love to know where you are from. It is true that Wellington centre has become run down. Its charity shop heaven which is always a sure sign. But have you ever lived in Peckham? Lets look on the bright side. Wellington has some very good schools, is surrounded by beautiful Shropshire countryside, is attached to very large modern industry, and has good motorway links to the West Midlands one way, and easy routes to Wales the other, still has its own swimming pool, is close to Oakengates theatre,is the home of Telford FC, a 5 minute drive from historic Ironbridge, the birthplace of industry, and property is reasonably priced.

Now lets get onto Wem. Any strong feelings on Wem?

I live in a small town in Shropshire. And of course compared to Peckham Wellington is better. But I would never live there, because there is pretty much the rest of Shropshire (bar a few other dumps) which is nicer. Far nicer. Indeed there are many parts of the Telford conurbation that are nicer.

Wem: nice small town. Quite a bit of new housing recently. Don't be fooled by the station on the Shrewsbury-Crewe line: few trains actually stop there and most of the ones that do are not the Manchester trains, but local Shrewsbury-Crewe trains. Not much to say about Wem: it's pleasant enough. Basically an overgrown village with a small supermarket and some shops.

• 3 months later...
HOLA4420