House Price Crash Forum

Immigration To Take Up The Slack

laurejon

HOLA441

A relative was recently in a NHS hospital nowhere near lovely, cosmopolitan London. My relative has private medical insurance and has been in a nearby private hospital a few times recently.

On the ward on the NHS hospital I think it is fair to say there were no two members of staff with the same nationality. Many of them, including senior nursing staff, had very poor English.

Surprisingly, most of them knew my relative. Because they all did shifts in the private hospital as well as the NHS hospital.

These poor sods are earning bugger all an hour and having to do to two (at least two) jobs to keep their heads above water.

And some fool on here thinks they are going to be the force that continues to drive the housing market up!

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
how can you tell they weren't British?

I assumed this. It is obvious if you talk to someone- or are you not so?

Doubtful obviously spoke to all of them.. (or a set of truly representative samples)

Why aren't we producing our own

Because of the unthinking politicians

Because UK elitism does not value the sciences.. This is not due to our "current" politicians but rather endemic in the UK geist.

The UK is barely in the top 50? So it is actually in then? Expect us to move up the league.

The South East is very densely populated.

The SE is overpopulated due to the concentration of economic activity in the region.. (I.e. the CIty)... Germany (as an example) spreads the wealth and industry (regionally and demographically)... i.e. banking in Frankfurt, high-tec in Munich, manufacturing in Stuttgart, Munich (among others), fashion - Dusseldorf, Hamburg, Media - Hamburg... etc etc.. The UK? The vast majority of blue-chip careers center on London inc. Law, Marketing, IT, Finance/Banking. All controlled by a self serving bunch of back slapping cronies who feel they need to be close in terms of proximity (and ideals), and damn the effects of this on society at large.

Germany is in a similar position in the population density chart as the UK(link from above) but does not have a single metropolitan area which suffers from the same "over-crowding" as London (and the ~SE)

The people to blame are not the immigrants and not the "current" politicians but rather the elitist system to whom the vast majority of UK citizens give (and have given) their tacit support

The fact that there are other countries in the world where people are even more crammed in like sardines doesn't alter the fact that as our population density rises our quality of life and environment decline.

Ballacks m'lud..

1. see last point above..

2. The Netherlands also does not suffer from the problems evident in the SE and they are far higher up the chart than the UK. THE STANDARD OF LIVING IN THE NETHERLANDS (and most of the continent() IS HIGHER THAN IT IS IN THE UK..

Try and understand it is a problem of distribution of people (and wealth) low standards (by everybody), presentation above substance [see. blunkett, iraq, oxbridge, the city.. blah blah]) and self-serving policies (by you know who).. :)

It would be possible to increase the population density of the UK while simultaneously improving living standards if we followed some of the (common sense) policies on the continent. (Or in simple terms - stop cramming ourselves into one corner of a room while complaining about a lack of space!)

HOLA443
2. The Netherlands also does not suffer from the problems evident in the SE and they are far higher up the chart than the UK. THE STANDARD OF LIVING IN THE NETHERLANDS (and most of the continent() IS HIGHER THAN IT IS IN THE UK..

There was an article in a recent Sunday Telegraph (as far as I can remember) - the Middle Classes are leaving the Netherlands in droves - faster than immigrants are arriving - because mass immigration there over the last 15 years is turning what were once nice, civilized places into no-go ghettoes.

HOLA444
There was an article in a recent Sunday Telegraph (as far as I can remember) - the Middle Classes are leaving the Netherlands in droves - faster than immigrants are arriving - because mass immigration there over the last 15 years is turning what were once nice, civilized places into no-go ghettoes.

Nice.. They are leaving.. And..? Check any international standard of living ranking - the Netherlands ranks higher than the UK.. (Im not going to do it for you :) ). NOWHERE THERE IS AS BAD AS LONDON..

I go to the netherlands all the time - two good friends of mine live there.. (I stay in Germany a lot - so it is only 2 hours by car [via unrestricted autobahn]). I visit Antwerp, Den Haag, Amsterdam (3 times in Nov 2004), Rotterdam and others.. Yes they have their problems - but nothing like those (wrt this topic) in the UK

HOLA445

Have you been to London recently?.

The argument that immigrants are causing house prices to rise seems a little dubious to me - especially as house prices have actually started falling as numbers of immigrants are apparently rising - surely a contradication.

Seems to me that 1 in 3 people are already illegal immigrants. Let's hope the mortgage people understand their dialect, because I haven't got a ****ing clue what language half of them are mumbling on in. Time to leave the country when 1 in 3 people aren't paying tax and can't speak English. Australia has the best idea - no tolerance.

Do you personally know this "1 in 3" of the population that are illegal immigrants? Supposing you do, have they all told you that they are illegal immigrants, or do you just 'know' this somehow?

Recently I was walking a street in London- majority of shops there have 99% non-British employees . However, it is wrong to say all immigration is wrong, because we need many scientists and enterpreneurs. One should appreciate genuine immigrants and not blame them all.

how can you tell they weren't British?

I assumed this. It is obvious if you talk to someone- or are you not so?

So 'Doubtful', you spoke to 99% of all the employees in the majority of shops on the street you walked along?

You then go on to say "One should appreciate genuine immigrants and not blame them all." - Yes, I absolutely agree, but your opinion sounds totally fake after you made such a general statement about "non-British" employees just moments before.

I find it a bit annoying when people just make up facts from their own made up anecdotal evidence.

HOLA446
HOLA447
Supply and demand pre 2004 (offical figures).

ukhousing.gif

imm2.gif

Most projections for 2005 are above 250,000.

Don't you have a graph for homosexuals, Jews and Irish aswell, this is just b****cks and you know it. House prices are high because vested interest are running the media machine coupled with cheap borrowing.

Next you'll be suggesting getting a posse together armed with tools and head down to London, I know what, why don't we brick up the Channel tunnel while we're at it.

HOLA448
The argument that immigrants are causing house prices to rise seems a little dubious to me - especially as house prices have actually started falling as numbers of immigrants are apparently rising - surely a contradication.

Do you personally know this "1 in 3" of the population that are illegal immigrants? Supposing you do, have they all told you that they are illegal immigrants, or do you just 'know' this somehow?

So 'Doubtful', you spoke to 99% of all the employees in the majority of shops on the street you walked along?

You then go on to say "One should appreciate genuine immigrants and not blame them all." - Yes, I absolutely agree, but your opinion sounds totally fake after you made such a general statement about "non-British" employees just moments before.

I find it a bit annoying when people just make up facts from their own made up anecdotal evidence.

In reply the 'seems to me' is a subjective by definition. It refers to Laurejon's original posting. So you are right - it's anecdotal; same as subjective!

BUT - you're just as guilty of misrepresention - you've altered the context to suit yourself.

Talking of not liking anecdotal evidence - aren't you posting on the wrong website. We're talking about house prices after all, where 82.456% of all statistics are incorrect!

Happy New Year

HOLA449
Don't you have a graph for homosexuals, Jews and Irish aswell, this is just b****cks and you know it. House prices are high because vested interest are running the media machine coupled with cheap borrowing.

Next you'll be suggesting getting a posse together armed with tools and head down to London, I know what, why don't we brick up the Channel tunnel while we're at it.

What are you ranting on about - those are offical figures not make believe.

If supply is low and demand is high; then prices go up.

Yes - The UK has the worlds highest levels of immigration. Not the vastness of a continent of America, China or Oz.

Population is growing at a by net migration.

There are no limits on immigration in the UK! Why should there be?

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
As demand for your xenophobic/paranoid musings is low, and their value nil, will you stop supplying them?

No.

These are not musing they are OFFICAL FIGURES directly affecting the housing market.

Yeah - In your world population increases do not matter, anyone who points them out is a racist/xenophone/nutter etc..etc... whatever....

Anyway, back in the real world, a world where the UK has the highest immigrationof any country in the world, the economic effects of this increase in migration are twofold.

(i) The supply of skills is increased, meaning that wages cannot be raised for skills shortages leading to inflation in costs.

(ii) Interest rates can be held lower due to lower inflation in services. In fact record

low inflation has been achieved.

i.e. Houseprices rise, wages don't.

HOLA4412
No.

These are not musing they are OFFICAL FIGURES directly affecting the housing market.

Yeah - In your world population increases do not matter, anyone who points them out is a racist/xenophone/nutter etc..etc... whatever....

Anyway, back in the real world, a world where the UK has the highest immigrationof any country  in the world,  the economic effects of this increase in migration are twofold.

(i) The supply of skills is increased, meaning that wages cannot be raised for skills shortages leading to inflation in costs. 

(ii) Interest rates can be held lower due to lower inflation in services. In fact record 

low inflation has been achieved.

i.e. Houseprices rise, wages don't.

Hold on, didn't I red somewhere that Emigration from UK was Higher than Immigration?

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

The number of people entering the country each year is far greater than the number of homes being built, so what do you think that does for housing demand, and hence prices? :blink:

The immigration policy in the UK is completely ******* up the country - the vast majority of immigrants are technically illegal because theyve travelled through safe countries to get here and not applied for asylum there because its well known the UK is a soft touch, and once they get here its extremely hard to get deported as theyre protected by human rights laws, have access to free legal aid (at our expense) to fight their case etc etc.

And I think its correct to say that immigration will take up the slack to an extent - some may say how when they have no/little money, but its tax payers who are paying for their accomodation if they arent - either way they need a house to live in.

HOLA4415
It doesn't matter what colour or race people belong to - the problem is we now lack proper border control and allowing too many unskilled people into the country. We owe this failure to people like Blunkett and New Labour.

As for the English hating the Germans! We could learn quite a bit from the Germans. I for one like the Germans - ever driven a nice Merc or Audi? You need a proper education and apprenticeship to achieve excellence. German engineering is mouthwatering!

Trouble is people coming here don't want to be British. They want 'rights' to do what they did back home. Ironic given they are 'seeking asylum' from the same regimes they revere so much!!! We can't even enjoy a British Xmas without shaven head social worker type ******r telling us off.

Rubbish. No one ever told you off for celebrating Xmas any way you chose to. This reminds me of all the lies the Daily Mail used to print in the '80s about how schools banned Baa Baa black sheep - gave all their readers something to be outraged about, but was a pack of lies. Tellus exactly who told you off for your choice of Xmas celebration, or withdraw the stupid remark.

HOLA4416

Wuluf, who says quality of life is higher in the Netherlands? Is this all based on some statistic about wealth?

Environmental and social issues such as traffic congestion and quality housing etc etc have a large bearing on quality of life too.

What would you expect the quality of life to be like in the UK when most of it is as densely populated as London? Will happen one day if our rapid population growth contiinues.

HOLA4417
Rubbish. No one ever told you off for celebrating Xmas any way you chose to. This reminds me of all the lies the Daily Mail used to print in the '80s about how schools banned Baa Baa black sheep - gave all their readers something to be outraged about, but was a pack of lies. Tellus exactly who  told you off for your choice of Xmas celebration, or withdraw the stupid remark.

I apologise if you're a social worker. Can you tell us how you proved the Baa Baa black sheep was a pack of lies? Please could you print their name and address so we can verify this directly or perhaps you could retract your stupid remark?

Best you get back to shaving your head whilst I wipe my ar*e on a copy of your paper, the Guardian.

HOLA4418
I apologise if you're a social worker. Can you tell us how you proved the Baa Baa black sheep was a pack of lies? Please could you print their name and address so we can verify this directly or perhaps you could retract your stupid remark?

Best you get back to shaving your head whilst I wipe my ar*e on a copy of your paper, the Guardian.

I don't take the Guardian. I'm a Chartered Engineer not a social worker although you're more of a bigot than I thought if you also stereotype social workers. I've gone naturally bald rather than shaved my head - you're more likely to have done that, it goes well with your BNP views.

I know the person chiefly accused of these stories in the 80's, Bernie Grant. Papers used to blatantly mis quote him all the time. Now back to you, name the social worker who won't allow you to celebrate Xmas.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
I don't take the Guardian. I'm a Chartered Engineer not a social worker although you're more of a bigot than I thought if you also stereotype social workers. I've gone naturally bald rather than shaved my head - you're more likely to have done that, it goes well with your BNP views.

I know the person chiefly accused of these stories in the 80's, Bernie Grant. Papers used to blatantly mis quote him all the time. Now back to you, name the social worker who won't allow you to celebrate Xmas.

Do not accuse me of having BNP views. I have posted nothing racist here and I do not hold racist view. Exactly what has illegal immigration got to do with racism? Nothing. LEGAL immigrants are just as fed up with the situation. Are they racist too? I'm not baldist either but I'll make an exception for you.

For a chartered engineer you make a good social worker.

It is people like yourself with pseudo-pc views which have made this country weak and a magnet for parasites.

Edited by Bubble Pricker

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

The main point here is that there is not enough housing to meet the current population demands. There is already internal pressure to meet the needs of an extended life span, an increasing divorce rate and two property owners. Lets not also forget that there is a large population crammed into crap accommodation who have the income and desire to buy a better way of living if only they had access to affordable houses.

Meanwhile more people are allowed to pour unto the country. It should go with out saying that this will have an effect on property prices. Don’t forget that if an immigrant cant afford to buy a property then there will be an idle middle classed property tycoon who will (for profit), and what do they do with this profit, hire cheap labour from abroad to look after their children and gardens. In the mean time the first immigrant is replaced my another for even cheaper wages so they have to go on welfare. The result is that we end up paying more money for properties and more money in taxes to fund the idle property tycoons buy to let mortgage on the property that houses the immigrant. Why don’t we just cut out the middle man and give a percentage of our wages to the idle property tycoon, cut their lawn and offer them free baby sitting.

More houses. Less immigrants and more taxes on idle property tycoons. Build the wealth of this country and use the extra cash to help the welfare of the countries that the immigrants come from.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

This country needs skilled immigration i.e. our choice, meeting our demands.

Trouble is when we make such opinions the racism card comes out. We cannot even support our own pensioners properly let alone house unskilled, non-English speaking opportunists. Destroying passports and lying to immigration officials is par for the course. It's a shame because the true sylum seeker who really need sanctuary would be happy to go anywhere; not just Treasure Island.

Tolerance has been replaced by stupidity.