House Price Crash Forum

Just Paid £1 Off My Mortgage With 2p I've Found On The Floor

HOLA441

I often find pound coins (and others) in the rubber seal of my washing machine. Occcasionally I've also found nice clean wet fivers.

Any washing machine repair men on this thread?

Emptying the trap on our washing machine sometimes proves quite profitable.

Also back of taxi's putting your hands down the seat may reap rewards.

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

http://www.boards.ie....php?p=54337310

Just uncovered alarming evidence of 'fishy fiver' and 'coin glued to pavement' activities...

And this caught my eye

I used to work in a hotel years ago and the chefs got great pleasure out of heating up a pound coin on the stove and leaving it on the floor where all the waiters pass by.

Needless to say many greedy members of staff had a few blisters

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Found a few pound coins in a abandoned supermarket trolleys....only a pound to some who can't be bothered to walk to return.....look after the pounds and the hundred pounds will look after themselves. ;)

That phrase obviously originates from the observation that if you spend all your time looking for pennies, You've no time to spend your pounds.

When it comes to time, many are penny wise and pound foolish

Edited by SeeYouNextTuesday

HOLA446

That phrase obviously originates from the observation that if you spend all your time looking for pennies, You've no time to spend your pounds.

When it comes to time, many are penny wise and pound foolish

How much is a minute of your time worth to you? :rolleyes:

HOLA447

Ok - three biggest free money situations I have had. two a long time ago and one recent.

Ages ago. Technically theft but someone tried to prise open the condom machine in my local and left a gaping hole with pound coins on view. One trip to WH Smith for a pencil and packet of sticky pads later and me and my mate got extrememly pi**ed - beer was cheap then but must have had 20 odd quid - but theft really. Landlord was a ****** however and paid us peanuts for playing in a band in his pub and ripped posters of our band down round town when we dared to play elsewhere.

Ages ago. Worked in a Pizza place, big chain, till went wrong and we had to manually enter all transactions on a paper pad - good money to be had in bringing back BOGOF vouchers too. technically theft - sorry. Paid me peanuts as well.

Recently. Beer festival. Deposit of a pound for the glass. At the end of the night, although very very drunk I scooted round and collected all the empties left behind by people too rich/drunk to return their glass - 20 odd quid out of that.

Unfortunately / fortunately I have no mortgage to pay off but it would all have gone to my landlord pretty much.

Edited to correct typo.

Edited by Longtermrenter

HOLA448
  • 2 weeks later...
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

I found a US one cent coin on the floor of the bus garage today.

My best/luckiest find ever was from when I used to go bin raiding (when I was cash poor and time rich- it's a surprisingly profitable hobby!). I was rootling through the bins of my favourite charity shop when I found a shabby looking old brown wallet. It was empty at first glance but I had a bit of a premonition and sure enough, hidden in one of the smaller pockets was a neatly folded tenner!

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Up 71p today.

Hopefully more to come during the week.

Found 4 x 2p on five yards of road yesterday. Failed to reconstruct the situation in which they were lost. Wouldn't the loser have heard the first one hit the tarmac?

Puzzled...

Edited by juvenal

HOLA4415

Found 4 x 2p on five yards of road yesterday. Failed to reconstruct the situation in which they were lost. Wouldn't the loser have heard the first one hit the tarmac?

Puzzled...

Nope if it's kids or someone who doesn't like change they'll have flung them deliberately. The wife once saw someone fling about 30p like this, they jumped in a car and drove off and the wife went and picked up what they didn't want.

Some people don't value money.

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Puzzled...

Bus stops are rich picking grounds as people drop money as boarding the bus although travelcards (Oyster type things) are diminishing these opportunities.

• 1 month later...
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425