House Price Crash Forum

Altrincham/hale/halebarns

dst

HOLA441

Feckin iPad, that's what makes copy and paste tricky.

The other factor is that I have been introduced to someone willing to offload a better but similar house for 250k with an expected done up value of £350k.

This house is genuine 3 bedder not the carved up 2 bed that 19 Finchley was AND has a cellar space as well as a loft space for conversion. Unless of course, the fact that Finchley is not a rat run is worth a significant wedge. This other house is not on Finchley.

Even better, a terrace on Ashfield Road has cropped up, bigger, better and only £330k

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Feckin iPad, that's what makes copy and paste tricky.

The other factor is that I have been introduced to someone willing to offload a better but similar house for 250k with an expected done up value of £350k.

This house is genuine 3 bedder not the carved up 2 bed that 19 Finchley was AND has a cellar space as well as a loft space for conversion. Unless of course, the fact that Finchley is not a rat run is worth a significant wedge. This other house is not on Finchley.

Even better, a terrace on Ashfield Road has cropped up, bigger, better and only £330k

Similar money, off road parking, only 2 beds but you could put the sprog in the 'home office' out the back ;). 2 minute stroll to the pubs. It's been up before I think but no furniture in it on these pics so I'd guess they need to sell.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-38841710.html

HOLA443

Therefore the market has already given me a very good idea on the value of this house and I think the owner would be veyr lucky to see anything north of £300k. To be honest at £245k I didn't see any room to make a decent profit.

Tell me I'm wrong.

No, I absolutely agree with you. As I said, anything north of £285k probably gets us into "profit" territory. As Venger pointed out, the longer it remains on the market, the more that profit is probably being eaten into. And, ultimately, it could be a profit so small it wasn't worth the effort (again, as Venger suggested.)

But good 'ole common sense hasn't dictated the housing market so far, has it? The sub-£500k market hasn't - so far - experienced the harsher falls that the more "prime" stuff has suffered. It looks like that is about to change. But until we get the next few months of sales data I think it's going to be hard to make a definitive call. There could still be a few fools left out there yet. :)

Of course, the realisation that there isn't much (any?) "profit" in redeveloping these smaller properties is to be welcomed. The larger stuff hasn't been worth re-developing for years now; let's hope the smaller stuff is now joining the same club. :)

HOLA444

Similar money, off road parking, only 2 beds but you could put the sprog in the 'home office' out the back ;). 2 minute stroll to the pubs. It's been up before I think but no furniture in it on these pics so I'd guess they need to sell.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-38841710.html

Terrible value.

Now this smacks of desperation: http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/find.html?searchType=RENT&locationIdentifier=POSTCODE%5E926792&insId=1&radius=0.0&displayPropertyType=&minBedrooms=&maxBedrooms=&minPrice=&maxPrice=&maxDaysSinceAdded=&retirement=&sortByPriceDescending=&_includeLetAgreed=on&primaryDisplayPropertyType=&secondaryDisplayPropertyType=&oldDisplayPropertyType=&oldPrimaryDisplayPropertyType=&letType=&letFurnishType=&houseFlatShare=false

Must be far fewer beeboids distorting the market this summer.

Edited by SeeYouNextTuesday

HOLA445

Terrible value.

Agreed. How anyone in their right mind can consider a two-bed, no-gardened place like that as "value" at that sort of price is beyond me. Knock £150k off and you are getting serious (although barely.)

If it was purchased with a large mortgage - look at the insane price of the one listed above - and/or subject to MEW'ing over the years by the owners, then maybe they need that kind of money just to keep them afloat? Still, the reality is that you'd need a nearly £25k a year salary just to cover the rent and council tax on the place. God forbid you ever want to eat, have a telephone or use gas or electricity... Truly insane.

Probably just more "trying it on" from the owner and a few equally gullible EAs, TBH.

EDIT: Just noticed the "black theme" everywhere inside. Maybe a Goth would like it for the price? :)

Edited by Nomadd

HOLA446

...If it was purchased with a large mortgage - look at the insane price of the one listed above - and/or subject to MEW'ing over the years by the owners, then maybe they need that kind of money just to keep them afloat? Still, the reality is that you'd need a nearly £25k a year salary just to cover the rent and council tax on the place. God forbid you ever want to eat, have a telephone or use gas or electricity... Truly insane.

Probably just more "trying it on" from the owner and a few equally gullible EAs, TBH.

EDIT: Just noticed the "black theme" everywhere inside. Maybe a Goth would like it for the price? :)

1495 a month is only 4.6% gross of the 2009 price paid; actual rent achieved, voids and maintenance are going to push that down to maybe 3% to 3.5% net? Can't see this being a planned landlord, I think the furnished let points to a temporary job move.

Four agents would put me off, I don't mind buying from a distressed seller, but I certainly wouldn't want a distressed landlord.

http://www.rightmove...country=england

Land Registry sold prices

20 Albert Road East, Hale, Altrincham, Greater Manchester WA15 9AL

06 Nov 2009 £389,950

16 Jun 2006 £365,000

HOLA447
HOLA448

1495 a month is only 4.6% gross of the 2009 price paid; actual rent achieved, voids and maintenance are going to push that down to maybe 3% to 3.5% net? Can't see this being a planned landlord, I think the furnished let points to a temporary job move.

Four agents would put me off, I don't mind buying from a distressed seller, but I certainly wouldn't want a distressed landlord.

http://www.rightmove...country=england

Land Registry sold prices

20 Albert Road East, Hale, Altrincham, Greater Manchester WA15 9AL

06 Nov 2009 £389,950

16 Jun 2006 £365,000

Well spotted on the earlier sale.

I'm not sure about the "furnished let points to a temporary job move" though. Seems more like a "reluctant landlord" - as we now know them - who has had to move out in order to try and meet mortgage payments. And the 3-3.5% return might be generous, once you consider what the Bank would ask due to the change in mortgage terms. The place looks like it will barely break even, let alone make a profit.

I'd be interested to know how much of these "asking rents" are actually achievable? I've not moved in years, so I've no idea. Guy next-door to me managed to get £200 / month knocked of the price he pays, but he moved in 3 years ago when the market was much tighter. I wonder, realistically, if this place would ever fetch more than £1200 / month in rent? Market is a lot more in renter's favour today, I think, so it would be nice to hear from some folks who have been looking to rent recently.

HOLA449

I'm not sure about the "furnished let points to a temporary job move" though. Seems more like a "reluctant landlord" - as we now know them - who has had to move out in order to try and meet mortgage payments. And the 3-3.5% return might be generous, once you consider what the Bank would ask due to the change in mortgage terms. The place looks like it will barely break even, let alone make a profit.

My thinking was that if it was a more permanent move they would take the furniture with them and the house would be up for sale at the same time, I hadn't considered that they might have moved somewhere else with no room for furniture like a small flat or parental house.

Yes, the 3-3.5% is my estimate of the net return on the money tied up, if their cost of money is higher than that it would be an overall loss.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

And then this just listed. A 2 bed mid terrace for 450k....

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-37504640.html

ffs. It's these listings that make people think that anything cheaper is 'a bargain'...

Hmm, not selling, what shall we do?

I know, another 2% off the asking price and we'll swap agents to Tonguely Grooves.

Take my word for it can't even be arsed getting the new RM link any more

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

There's a 2 bed house in Belgravia Gardens just come on the market at 285k. I really like it although its out of my range.

Does anyone know much about this development? What do you think is current market value? And what's fair value?

I'm thinking its not far off market value, say, goes for 275k and my fair value would be closer to the 225k mark. Mental?

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-24035655.html

HOLA4415
Does anyone know much about this development? What do you think is current market value? And what's fair value?

I'm thinking its not far off market value, say, goes for 275k and my fair value would be closer to the 225k mark. Mental?

http://www.rightmove...y-24035655.html

Not so bad. 2 bedroom though that one so my fair value would be less. Even the conservatory isn't too bad, more like a little sun-room.

I wonder if a loft extension bedroom would work with them.

Constructed by Rowthorne Homes in the mid 1990’s Belgravia Gardens is a small development of about forty units comprising two, three and four bedroomed townhouses.

http://www.jhilditch.com/property-HD3806.html

HOLA4416

Not so bad. 2 bedroom though that one so my fair value would be less. Even the conservatory isn't too bad, more like a little sun-room.

My thoughts on the loft and no bath is peculiar too.

I recognised a car parked round there so I'm going to try and tap up the owner to find out more about those houses in general.

Edit: just checked on zoopla, sold as new build in 95 for £90k. Maybe no bath was an off plan option? Leasehold though.

HOLA4417

What's the craic?

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-39188807.html

On sale for 275 with a back garden that looks like the Somme.

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/property/22-hale-low-road/hale/altrincham/wa15-8bd/25439078

Previous sales, 75k in 1998 but only 65k in 2010. WTF?

Seems far too cheap for a repo. Fire or similar catastrophic damage? Land registry mistake?

HOLA4418

Having zoomed out on google maps, I'm not sure if the water treatment plant at the back of Bel Gardens is a "feature" or a problem.

HOLA4419

What's the craic?

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-39188807.html

On sale for 275 with a back garden that looks like the Somme.

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/property/22-hale-low-road/hale/altrincham/wa15-8bd/25439078

Previous sales, 75k in 1998 but only 65k in 2010. WTF?

Seems far too cheap for a repo. Fire or similar catastrophic damage? Land registry mistake?

Well, the Zoopla link is an "estimate", and it seems out by a mile. Even has the rental value at only £250 pcm.

I'd say the whole Zoopla estimate stuff is just rubbish.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Forget the estimate, its based on the last, very low looking sale price. Why only 65k in 2010?

Where? The link you posted only shows a Zoopla estimate.

EDIT: Found it elsewhere: http://www.nethouseprices.com/index.php?con=sold_prices_street_detail&street=HALE+LOW+ROAD&locality=HALE&town=ALTRINCHAM&cCode=EW&year=2010&house_style=All&house_age=All&search_radius=&outcode=WA15&incode=8BD

As you say, does seem strange, as Nethouseprices average for 2010 was 175k. Typo? Still, it'll make an interesting opening line with the EA and Vendor: "Please can you tell me what has been done to the property to increase it's value by £210k in 2 years? I mean, the garden still looks like it needs work..." :)

Edited by Nomadd

HOLA4422

No idea why anyone treats those automatic online valuations seriously. Surely for the biggest financial commitment of your life you are going to look into it in more detail, compare specific houses etc. Now I know that most people don't, but if you've got as far as checking Zoopla then go one step further?

HOLA4423

Wife went to see this property Ashfield Rd the other day. Looks fairly upmarket and "well cared for" on the website... the reality couldn't be further from the truth!

Seems a bunch of travellers / festival organisers moved in (it's a BTL) and they have completely trashed the place. Dirty stained mattresses on the floor, festering carpets, fridge door left open... she gagged on the verge of vomiting from the smell all the way round. Even the EA was apologising for the stink ! :lol: She even has her doubts an industrial clean and complete strip out could rescue it !

Here's the best bit... the landlord lives down south and has NO IDEA about the damage or the quality of the tenants!! He is coming up soon to view the property and see why it hasn't sold yet, even with two different EA's on the case !

Edited by monks

HOLA4424

Wife went to see this property Ashfield Rd the other day. Looks fairly upmarket and "well cared for" on the website... the reality couldn't be further from the truth!

Seems a bunch of travellers / festival organisers moved in (it's a BTL) and they have completely trashed the place. Dirty stained mattresses on the floor, festering carpets, fridge door left open... she gagged on the verge of vomiting from the smell all the way round. Even the EA was apologising for the stink ! :lol: She even has her doubts an industrial clean and complete strip out could rescue it !

Here's the best bit... the landlord lives down south and has NO IDEA about the damage or the quality of the tenants!! He is coming up soon to view the property and see why it hasn't sold yet, even with two different EA's on the case !

know someone on ashfield too. Think that house is also for rent at £1100 pcm. Can't wait for landlord to see. I can remember something similar for one we tried to view last year. Indignant landlord was refusing viewings until it was rectified, wanted top dollar rental price.

I wouldn't be a landlord out of choice.

Also my mystery 2010 house price is for sale/rent too. Pictures look like house is vacant but it aint, drove up there yesterday. Another house for sale on the road. Bought early noughties and looks like its been neglected ever since. If your house is for sale how much does it cost to fix the peeling paint on the front door?

HOLA4425

All grist for the mill.

My urbane house is back and there's a reduction on Queens Road thats starting to ask questions. Viewed it when it was up for sale/rent last year. Don't expect it to stay long at 250k.

I think there is some sort of realisation happening.

If it's the one I think you're referring to, price has just been cut again.

The market is so brittle imo. We'd really start to see things with more supply onto the market, from sellers who have real motivation to sell.