Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443

Fatsams Austerity Diet

Breakfast - Oatmeal

Dinner - Tuna paste sandwiches

Tea - Potatoe and carrot mash

Total weekly cost - £5.50

Would need to add lots of butter, high fat milk and supplement with whey protein and / or get some cheap mince in there methinks. Packs of fatty mince with cheap (basic) tinned tomatoes can go a long way.

HOLA444

Cheap, but you would soon be ill on it - not enough protein.

There is a fair bit of protein in those foods, can allways boost with a glass of skimmed milk a day, pretty sure the average person only needs around 55-65g of protein per day.

HOLA445

That was the program I was referring to in post 2. It always seems quite easy to to provide decent food on a budget but I guess we never did processed when I was a kid. A sack of spuds and a sack of onions will set you back less than a tenner, will last a month, and is the basis for a lot of other meals. At a pinch you could eat them on their own though it would be a bit dull.

Onions are ok but how do you store a sack of spuds? When I've tried buying them in bulk they start sprouting or going green after maybe two weeks so I gave up on that idea as I'd end up throwing most of them away :unsure:

HOLA446

I don't doubt you can, but I'd like to see the weekly menu for a week though please.

WTF is a weekly menu - I make what I have out of what I have to hand.

To answer it as best I can, we have a number of "staple" meals that we eat, I'll categorise a few of them by carbohydrate:

Pasta

Puttanesca

Garlic and Chilli

Tomatoes

Bolognese

Lasagna

Giouvetsi

Moussaka

Cheese and mach

Spuds

Stew

Pork Chops

Stewed mince

Toad in the hole

Roasts

Meatloaf

Rice

Chilli

Curries (vegetable, meat and a lot of dhal).

Risotto

Just a few named dishes really that you'll recognise or can look up but even then it requires some explanation. For instance, I don't often do past for a proper meal - I struggle with past as a meal, it strikes me more as a lunch so pasta with chilli and garlic is quite popular here at the weekend (and it quite often goes in three packups daily in a hot food flask). Lasagna though would be a main meal. It actually makes it look like we eat a lot of past and we don't really - far more rice than pasta but you probably wouldn't recognize a lot of the names of the dishes so I've been far less specific with them,

Roasts tend to be cheap cuts - not just because they're cheap but because we like them though you have to cook them right. Stuffed breast of lamb is a favourite here though you either need 3-4 hours in the oven or a 40 min blast in the pressure cooker and then finish in the oven. There's not much that's better than that when it's done well. Schweinshaxe is another common roast (it's pork hock roasted) again though it needs long cooking - lots of crackling though.

I would guess that we eat a lot less meat than most English familes but we have Greek, Armenian and Latvian forbears so our cooking (specifically my cooking) isn't particularly English. That helps on expenditure as does bulk buying, I buy sacks of spuds, sacks of rice, sacks of onions etc - a 10kgs sack of onions is about £3.50 to £4.00 - I woudl think the supermarket is quite a lot more than that. There are a lot of meals that we eat that have no meat but that aren't vegetarian if that makes sense, ie there just isn't meat in them.

If you're seriously into old school home ec though PM as I have a small project that may be of some interest to you.

HOLA447

Onions are ok but how do you store a sack of spuds? When I've tried buying them in bulk they start sprouting or going green after maybe two weeks so I gave up on that idea as I'd end up throwing most of them away :unsure:

Make sure they're unwashed - you need them with dirt on them. Even then though you may have to make an effort to get through them towards the end depending on the weather. That said though - I have the tail end of a sack sat in the shed that's been there for 5 weeks or so - no sign of trouble yet - just need to be cool and dark.

There's not much sense in buying a sack in the warmer months though as they will sprout quickly. Around here they won't even sell you a sack after about May as they'll sprout - those are the months for new spuds,.rice etc.

HOLA448

There is a fair bit of protein in those foods, can allways boost with a glass of skimmed milk a day, pretty sure the average person only needs around 55-65g of protein per day.

Potato about 2% (large portion 75g so about 1.5g)

Oat 12-22% (portion is about 50g, so 7.5g)

White bread about 1g per slice

don't know carrot or sardine off the top of my head, but not enough there by a long shot and I doubt carrot will make up the difference. I don't think it's even close to subsistence levels which is abpout 2/3 of the 65g you quote.

Edited by Ascii

HOLA449

Make sure they're unwashed - you need them with dirt on them. Even then though you may have to make an effort to get through them towards the end depending on the weather. That said though - I have the tail end of a sack sat in the shed that's been there for 5 weeks or so - no sign of trouble yet - just need to be cool and dark.

There's not much sense in buying a sack in the warmer months though as they will sprout quickly. Around here they won't even sell you a sack after about May as they'll sprout - those are the months for new spuds,.rice etc.

Ah ok that makes sense :)

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Potato about 2% (large portion 75g so about 1.5g)

Oat 12-22% (portion is about 50g, so 7.5g)

White bread about 1g per slice

don't know carrot or sardine off the top of my head, but not enough there by a long shot and I doubt carrot will make up the difference. I don't think it's even close to subsistence levels which is abpout 2/3 of the 65g you quote.

My fault, should have included the fact i was talking about brown bread which is 4g protein per slice, 1kg of potatoe a day is norm for myself, includes 21g of protein, it's not a perfect diet by any means just shows how cheaply you can eat when you have to and is probably alot healthier than many diets for ten times the cost.

HOLA4413

No you are. There is good and bad food, not just calories. Unhealthy food in unhealthy. If you ate your correct number of calories in McDonalds Happy Meals every day, would you feel healthy or unhealthy? Would you be healthy or unhealthy?

Well you're just falling for the anti-American ant-Capitalist hype

Because a McDonalds burger and chips is a perfectly healthy meal

100% beef

Bread

Potatoes

Salt & sauce are optional extras which I don't have

There is even a bit of lettuce and gherkin thrown in

And I have tea as the drink

Obviously if you ate nothing other than Burger and Chips for a considerable period of time this MIGHT lead to some vitamin or mineral deficiencies, however, I'm pretty sure that you could live on beef, bread, potatoes, lettuce, gherkin and tea for years with no ill effects.

:)

HOLA4414

Don't delude yourself. There's loads of sugar and fat, and the flavourings.. In the bun, see that's gotta be a DAMN load of sugar there. Then there's

"(Mono- and Diacetyl Tartaric Acid Esters of Mono- and Diglycerides of Fatty Acids" mmm.

don't forget the 51+9% cheese in the cheese: a whole 60% of it is cheese!

Or, the Natural Cheese Flavouring, whatever the hell that is.

Don't forget the 44% of your RDA of SALT in one Quarterpounder with Cheese. Fries anyone? That's another 18% of your salt RDA. If you believe the figures. You'll know the employees just pour salt on. Wonder if they sample randomly for the nutrition measurements? :D

I enjoy the occasional McAccident, but I don't kid myself that it's 'healthy'.

They don't pour salt on the chips - I have never had McDonalds chips with salt on.

And cheese and sugar are not unhealthy foods

there is no such thing as unhealthy food

Only unhealthy diets.

Many people who are clinically obese eat the finest food money can buy

but they have an unhealthy diet

BECAUSE THEY EAT TOO MUCH

It isn't rocket science.

:blink:

HOLA4415

Many people who are clinically obese eat the finest food money can buy

but they have an unhealthy diet

BECAUSE THEY EAT TOO MUCH

It isn't rocket science.

basically true. dietary requirements are only little bit more complicated than that.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

basically true. dietary requirements are only little bit more complicated than that.

well yes but fails to address why they eat too much?

Its because they are programmed to do it.

Don't know if anyone caught "Big Body Squad" on C5 last night. Truly appalling. Six trained people to get a seriously obese person out of their flat to hospital for a routine visit, plus two people round earlier for the initial risk assessment.

The State is pouring resources into these people, but someone has to clean up the mess. Why are these people destroying themselves? It can't all be to get a free flat, play on x-box all day or have pretty nurses round everyday, to clean and toilet you. Hmm..

Edited by "Steed"

HOLA4418

Don't know if anyone caught "Big Body Squad" on C5 last night. Truly appalling. Six trained people to get a seriously obese person out of their flat to hospital for a routine visit, plus two people round earlier for the initial risk assessment.

The State is pouring resources into these people, but someone has to clean up the mess. Why are these people destroying themselves? It can't all be to get a free flat, play on x-box all day or have pretty nurses round everyday, to clean and toilet you. Hmm..

Human beings have evolved over millions of years to eat as much food as they can get hold of

Because for millions of years there has never been enough food.

In the last few decades, however, food has been abundant in the West but humans in the West are still doing what they have been genetically programmed to do

Eat as much food as they can.

Net result - widespread obesity.

As I said before there really is no such thing as unhealthy food.

There is eating too little food and eating too much food

both of which are 'bad' for you.

The idea that expensive food is better for you than cheap food is complete hogwash.

So people could save a lot of money and eat well by purchasing less expensive food.

They could also save money by eating less food which would also be better for them.

:)

Edited by Game_Over

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Don't delude yourself. There's loads of sugar and fat, and the flavourings.. In the bun, see that's gotta be a DAMN load of sugar there. Then there's

"(Mono- and Diacetyl Tartaric Acid Esters of Mono- and Diglycerides of Fatty Acids" mmm.

don't forget the 51+9% cheese in the cheese: a whole 60% of it is cheese!

Or, the Natural Cheese Flavouring, whatever the hell that is.

Don't forget the 44% of your RDA of SALT in one Quarterpounder with Cheese. Fries anyone? That's another 18% of your salt RDA. If you believe the figures. You'll know the employees just pour salt on. Wonder if they sample randomly for the nutrition measurements? :D

I enjoy the occasional McAccident, but I don't kid myself that it's 'healthy'.

When I ate a McDonalds meal my gut felt like I'd drank a pint of PVA glue. I wouldn't eat it even if they were giving it away.

Edited by Britney's Piers

HOLA4421

Fat should be made more socially unacceptable, on par with smoking. In Japan overweight and obesity is viewed as a sickness, you are at risk of losing your job as you are seen as "ill", and there are no easy benefits to fall back on after losing a job so this is taken seriously. Some Japanese companies have waist measure checks and anyone above is put on a diet if they want to continue employment there.

Edited by Britney's Piers

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

That's clearly wrong - you may need to rethink that statement alone.

There are some who challenge the definition "junk food", and claim that the phrase is used as a moral judgement on certain people's lifestyles rather than as a strictly scientific category. There is no such thing as junk food, but there is such a thing as a 'junk diet'

Vincent Marks, Emeritus Professor of Clinical Biochemistry at the University of Surrey and co-editor of a new book titled Panic Nation: Unpicking the Myths We're Told About Food and Health, goes so far as to claim that there is no such thing as junk food.

"Junk food is an oxymoron," he says. "Food is either good - that is, it is enjoyable to eat and will sustain life - or it is good food that has gone bad, meaning that it has deteriorated and gone off.

"To label a food as 'junk' is just another way of saying, 'I disapprove of it.' There are bad diets - that is, bad mixtures and quantities of food - but there are no 'bad foods' except those that have become bad through contamination or deterioration."

Professor Marks says that all foods - whether the dreaded twizzler or a freshly picked apple - are just combinations of protein, fat and carbohydrates, and our bodies will take from them what we need and get rid of the rest. "Even hamburgers provide energy in a palatable and affordable form," he argues.

Deadly sin

"No food is 'better for us' than any other; it all depends upon circumstances. For people on a limited income or in times of famine, high energy density food is best and will enable survival. For the affluent and in times of plenty - like now in the UK - fruit is an important part of a mixed diet," says Professor Marks.

At 80% fat, should foie gras be classified as junk food?

He says we should focus less on individual foodstuffs and more on diet.

"There is no such thing as junk food, but there is such a thing as a 'junk diet'. The quantity of food consumed, over say a weekly period, is just as important as its quality."

So are you a Professor then?

HOLA4425

So salt is bad for you then?

I'm pretty sure that salt is actually essential to human health.

I didn't say it was or wasn't bad for you ..........

I assume someone did a bit of maths before suggesting 6g as a daily limit though.

My inlaws put so much salt on their dinner it makes me feel ill though.