House Price Crash Forum

Quatermile

lulus

HOLA441

I'm new in Edinburgh. I'm looking for a 2 or 3 bed flat in a new development with underground parking. Last week I was at Platinum Point but didn't like the area. Last Thrusday I went to Quatermile and I really like the area. My only concern is the prices for a 2 bed are around 400.000 £ with another 30.000£ for a parking place. I really think those prices are over the top...but as I haven't here more than a couple months and I'm concert about the housing prices worldwide...I really think that those prices for a flat just looking towards other flats instead to the park; I really think are really really expensive. Why is Quatermile defines as suck a luxury area? I don't think the area is that posh either plus I don't know if in Edinburgh there is that many rich people to afford those prices. Can anyone give me a little opinion? Is it true the Quatermile development has some cash problems? As it would be good to know before taking any decision. Cheers.

HOLA442

I'm new in Edinburgh. I'm looking for a 2 or 3 bed flat in a new development with underground parking. Last week I was at Platinum Point but didn't like the area. Last Thrusday I went to Quatermile and I really like the area. My only concern is the prices for a 2 bed are around 400.000 £ with another 30.000£ for a parking place. I really think those prices are over the top...but as I haven't here more than a couple months and I'm concert about the housing prices worldwide...I really think that those prices for a flat just looking towards other flats instead to the park; I really think are really really expensive. Why is Quatermile defines as suck a luxury area? I don't think the area is that posh either plus I don't know if in Edinburgh there is that many rich people to afford those prices. Can anyone give me a little opinion? Is it true the Quatermile development has some cash problems? As it would be good to know before taking any decision. Cheers.

Hi lulus:

I think you would be crazy to shell out 430K for Quartermile. Why not look for a 2 bed flat in Marchmont for 250K plus residents parking? Although these flats are old they have withstood the test of time. Plus it is a short walk across the meadows plus good pubs/cafes in the area.

Quartermile is for rich Londoners with kids at Edinburgh University or Russians in leather jackets!

HOLA443

I live in Edinburgh - no way I would pay the prices they are asking. They bought the land during the boom and are trying to sell in a bust at boom prices. Depends on the size of the flats, and I personally think the general area is perfectly fine, but I wouldn't buy for 300k unless the properties were really large.

HOLA444

How about yout try renting one for a bit? I think you are correct with most of what you are saying, these appartments flats are stupidly overpriced and the area is not even that great (it is ok but hardly the Grange/Canonmills)

My friend was involved in the fitting of some of them out and apparently there have been complaints from buyers regarding the sizes and the fact that some of them are placed so close together - as you point out, some look into one another.

Quite frankly with a budget of £430,000 I would buy something like this http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-17436768.html

HOLA445

Thank you guys. I'm looking mainly for differnet reasons: new build and underground parking. Quatermile is selling 2bed flats which are really small, but the ones with open space are pretty cool: 2 flloors with 2 bedrooms and open kitchen...even said that I think the prices are at leas 100k over the price. As I haven't live here for long time, i check Platinum Point and didn't like it. I check prices on Zooma site and prices of sold flat in the last 6months in the Quatermile development haven't been higher that 350.000£. Does anybody knows if Quatermile is any way in financial trouble. I saw other post here about agreements with the council for social housing.

HOLA446
HOLA447

Thanks for the article, it helps. I try with an offer at a reduce price and the answer was, maximum will cut on the prices will be 10k. I think it's mad. Nobody is going to rent there at prices over 1.500£ to get a 5% yield. Something is wrong here..... And I was told the 2 bed flats overlooking the park and to be finish at the end of the year have a price of 800K. Madness complety madness....someone is loosing it's mind or someone is loosing lots of money. I wonder who will pay 400K for a 2 bed flat, in a lovely area, but full of council flats in a few years to come? A 300k price tag could be more closer to what I was expecting.

Anyone knows other developments similar to this one in Edinburgh?

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

West of town you can get a new 2 bed for more like 250k - big development in blackhall (apparently richest area in edinburgh) and some in barnton/cramond too.

Friend of mine has a house in Blackhall. Don't know how he managed that one - well envious.

Edited by guitarman001

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

I really like the look of this one http://www.espc.com/properties/details.aspx?pid=303682&sid=2862472670

However, seeing it in the flesh may be different.

If they were to reduce it to the £300,000 level I could be interested. £395,000 plus £30,000 for parking ........no way!

God, Quartermile makes me angry. They knocked down half of the elegant old Royal Infirmary, moved the hospital out to the edge of town, and the remaining blocks of the Infirmary have been hollowed out inside, all twigs-in-a-vase style, and now find themselves sandwiched between those hideous new tower blocks.

And £395,000 for 97 square metres? That’s obscene, too!

I wonder how long it will be before the weird different-shades-of-grey tiles start falling off the sides of the tower blocks.

Incidentally, Simpson Loan isn’t even a public street. Go there in the evening with a camera, and a private security guard will come out and tell you not to take photos. It’s private land masquerading as a public street, so it’s outwith the remit of the council and the police, and if you don’t like how it’s run, you can’t vote anyone out of office.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

So why is the Quatermile development been sold as someone post here an article from The Scotman? Do you guys think that prices could been drop from now on?

I doubt it.

The one I mentioned above has been at that price for over 6 months, but still no reduction!

HOLA4416
  • 4 weeks later...
HOLA4417

I wonder who will pay 400K for a 2 bed flat, in a lovely area, but full of council flats in a few years to come?.

Shared ownership is different to council flats

Housing associations are not council flats and

even if it were ....so what??

What this city needs is to get a grip of herself and accept that we all live side by side, cheek by jowl and there is no place in a modern city for inverse prejudice masked by house price snobbiness. When we moved here we were told to stay as far away as possible from Oxgangs. Pffff......what - there are no people with issues in expensive houses?

It's long been recognised that a mix of tenure offers cities the best balance in their housing stock and contributes to healthy social relationships!

Edinburgh, on the other hand, prefers to separate and partition and worse still, make judgments and look down her nose at those with less money.......

Rant over.

HOLA4418

Shared ownership is different to council flats

Housing associations are not council flats and

even if it were ....so what??

What this city needs is to get a grip of herself and accept that we all live side by side, cheek by jowl and there is no place in a modern city for inverse prejudice masked by house price snobbiness. When we moved here we were told to stay as far away as possible from Oxgangs. Pffff......what - there are no people with issues in expensive houses?

It's long been recognised that a mix of tenure offers cities the best balance in their housing stock and contributes to healthy social relationships!

Edinburgh, on the other hand, prefers to separate and partition and worse still, make judgments and look down her nose at those with less money.......

Rant over.

In the case of Edinburgh it`s those with less credit :lol: , the average tosser driving around in a flash car is just a debt monkey, there is real wealth in Edinburgh, but it is a much smaller section of people than many imagine IMO. The majority are more about debt/HPI funded swagger than actual real swag in the bank. The days of the 400k flat. just because it`s in the city, will soon be behind us, the mad decade is well over, welcome to a new harsher reality. So many mugs must be waking up to the horrible property decisions they have made?

Edited by dances with sheeple

HOLA4419

I went to look at this area of the Quartermile and the situation of this property http://www.espc.com/properties/details.aspx?pid=303682&sid=2862472670

It seems quite claustrophobic and the old style properties are dwarfed by the hi rise blocks. Most of them are unoccupied and the ones under offer are for restaurants.

As I approached the block where the above property is for sale, a student with all his folders in hand exited the building. I would not want to pay £395,000 to be living among students!