House Price Crash Forum

Overheard At Playgroup

Bear Necessities

HOLA441

Have to blow off some steam about this one!

My wife took our little one to playgroup this morning and overheard a couple of the "yummy mummy" types talking.

YumMum 1 - How is the house selling going?

YumMum 2 - Well we had a second viewing the other day, and they put in an offer

YumMum 1 - Ooh that's good

YumMum 2 - Hardly, they offered 15% below the asking price!!!! I told the agent, we aren't in Morocco; we don't haggle here!

15% and she thinks that's an insult! What a condescending and deluded ****!

I have a list of all the reasons that I would like to see a HPC in this country, and she just made it to the top 5.

Of course I'll never find out if she sells it for asking, because she's hardly going to bring the subject up again if she can't.

I'm hoping she ends up having to sell with a greater than 15% reduction. In about 3 years time.

HOLA442

While we're at it...a mate if mine's mum is old and infirm, he go an EA round th value her house to sell so she can move into a bungalow.

He said, and I quote "they were having a laugh they valued it half what I think it's worth"....he has decided his mum should rent and buy a bungalow...he should exchange this week.

And another...the countesses mum's friend has been trying to sell for 3 years...has offered on another place...full asking !!!! Anyways, she dropped her sale price but has also decided to rent hers out ( on the EA's advices ) so she doen't loose the house she wants to buy.

I go from anger to incredulity.

HOLA443

We have all been fed the idea that housing in the UK should be as expensive as the peak of the market back in 2009. It will be interesting to see the excuses people, and especially the media, will provide if there is a realy house price crash. I can see the Jews, foreigners and the Scots being blamed :D

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

buying and selling a house is a simple matter of economics, if you want it enough you will pay what the vendor wants. if you are selling and it has been on the market for 6 months then it is too expensive so an offer of 15% should be grabbed. if you turn down that offer and the ea suggests a price reduction, and you get another offer you will be somewhere around 15%. in this market go for any offer you get it may well be the only one.

HOLA447

My wife took our little one to playgroup this morning and overheard a couple of the "yummy mummy" types talking.

YumMum 2 - Hardly, they offered 15% below the asking price!!!! I told the agent, we aren't in Morocco; we don't haggle here!

I have a list of all the reasons that I would like to see a HPC in this country, and she just made it to the top 5.

Of course I'll never find out if she sells it for asking, because she's hardly going to bring the subject up again if she can't.

I'm hoping she ends up having to sell with a greater than 15% reduction. In about 3 years time.

Second viewing results in an offer of 85% of sale price. To be fair, you'd be a d1ck to take that until you've found out what the market is.

The "no haggling" attitude is a bit crap given that it's not too much to ask your agent to get from 85% to 100%. Then again, perhaps she doesn't have to move.

Etc

HOLA448

The joke is on her if she always pays asking price for houses. Houses sell for 8% less than asking price on average , so she is potentially throwing a new audi down the drain when buying a 300k house. Furthermore, you should never pay the asking price for a car either.

Haggling is part of the functioning of a healthy market and by not participating she loses big time - not only in buying but also selling.

HOLA449

Nethouseprices - assuming you know where she lives.

If that were nosy old me I'd be checking out the price/EAs photos already. And probably having a good old nose from the road, too.

I bet she'll have twigs. ;)