House Price Crash Forum

Gold strategy in the current economy

HOLA441

Clive Maund's view of gold - very bearish, thinks it is the first signs of a liquidity crunch and the start of bad things in stocks with IRs eventually rising sharply.

http://clivemaund.com/article.php?art_id=68&PHPSESSID=b9c6d963494d26638593656decaa12be

And silver;

http://clivemaund.com/article.php?art_id=67&PHPSESSID=b9c6d963494d26638593656decaa12be

The gold analysis seems sensible, but as for soaring rates, thats completely wrong.

I know I always say this, but so far I have been correct,

This is NOT a harbinger of soaring rates, quite the opposite. THe long end of the govvie yield curve is now the opportunity, not something that is about to sell off.

HOLA442

Gold will go to $900-$1100 within 18 months. Absolutely. Guaranteed. This is approximately the band it was in in spring 2010.

That's no different to RK's $1,000 target. You could well be right and it'll pull back to $1,000 before it wockets to da moon.

The challenge is for a proper bearish prediction, and that's specifying that it will not go to da moon.

i.e. specifying a maximum value, a ceiling that gold will not reach / go above.

The most bearish so far is "Gold will not reach $5000 in the next 10 years."

Someone must be prepared to say "Gold will not reach $3000 in the next 10 years." or even "Gold will not reach $2000 in the next 5 years."

Of course, it's all guesswork and nobody has a clue really.

HOLA443

The gold analysis seems sensible, but as for soaring rates, thats completely wrong.

I know I always say this, but so far I have been correct,

This is NOT a harbinger of soaring rates, quite the opposite. THe long end of the govvie yield curve is now the opportunity, not something that is about to sell off.

I have no idea where he gets the idea of soaring interest rates from. He mentions gold plunging along with a liquidity crisis so maybe he thinks that such a liquidity crisis will drive up IRs? But with so much QE I cannot see how that would happen or be allowed to happen.

HOLA444

I have no idea where he gets the idea of soaring interest rates from. He mentions gold plunging along with a liquidity crisis so maybe he thinks that such a liquidity crisis will drive up IRs? But with so much QE I cannot see how that would happen or be allowed to happen.

In the US, they can't let interest rates rise much above zero, regardless of how much dollar inflation there is. The Federal Debt is so high (and going much higher) that government simply can't afford to pay reasonable interest rates on it. Of course, most other countries are in much better shape, and maybe you could get higher interest rates there,

HOLA445
HOLA446

China Hasn't "Seen This Gold Rush In 20 Years"

Trading volume on the Shanghai gold exchange jumped to a record high on Monday

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-04-22/china-hasnt-seen-gold-rush-20-years

So, they're queing up to buy the stuff, and yet the price is still weak? That seems to suggest, that the institutions are offloading it to the suckkers just as fast as they can get rid of it.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

first time I have posted on the gold thread.

Just had a cold call on my mobile asking me if I was interested in buying gold. Things must be desperate out there if they are doing cold calls at quarter past eight at night.

EDIT Just to add the guys telephone number if any of you gold bugs are interested 07442471333

Edited by gf3

HOLA4410

Just had a cold call on my mobile asking me if I was interested in buying gold. Things must be desperate out there if they are doing cold calls at quarter past eight at night.

Asheron just gets a bit lonely these days.

HOLA4411

EDIT Just to add the guys telephone number if any of you gold bugs are interested 07442471333

Maybe this is a crack up boom, however personally I can't buy physical for love nor money.

Everyone is out of stock and has been since last week.

Are you sure the guy on the phone was't trying to offload a stack of worthless GLD ETFs???

HOLA4412

Maybe this is a crack up boom, however personally I can't buy physical for love nor money.

Everyone is out of stock and has been since last week.

Are you sure the guy on the phone was't trying to offload a stack of worthless GLD ETFs???

Are they really out of physical gold or just unwilling or unable to sell at current price?

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

That's no different to RK's $1,000 target. You could well be right and it'll pull back to $1,000 before it wockets to da moon.

The challenge is for a proper bearish prediction, and that's specifying that it will not go to da moon.

i.e. specifying a maximum value, a ceiling that gold will not reach / go above.

The most bearish so far is "Gold will not reach $5000 in the next 10 years."

Someone must be prepared to say "Gold will not reach $3000 in the next 10 years." or even "Gold will not reach $2000 in the next 5 years."

Of course, it's all guesswork and nobody has a clue really.

Gold will not reach $5000 in the next 10 years

Gold will not reach $3000 in the next 10 years

Gold will not reach $2000 in the next 5 years

Happy now?

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Unfortunately what is going to happen will affect everyone. There's no getting away from it. The entire financial system and world order is changing and will change in much more brutal fashion in the years ahead.

As much as I wish it wasn't, sadly it is.

HOLA4420

Gold will not reach $2000 in the next 5 years

Happy now?

Not really. Would have thought (with all the posts in this thread) that there would be more than 1 HPC poster prepared to say 'the gold bull is over'. Still want to buy more gold :(

But thanks for trying, and congratulations on being the only bear in the village.

HOLA4421

Not really. Would have thought (with all the posts in this thread) that there would be more than 1 HPC poster prepared to say 'the gold bull is over'. Still want to buy more gold :(

But thanks for trying, and congratulations on being the only bear in the village.

Technically the gold bull is over. 20% off peak.

HOLA4422

I second FaFa

GOLD WILL NOT REACH $2k in the next five years, barring an asteroid strike.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Technically the gold bull is over. 20% off peak.

To the chartists and traders, the price on the chart is king. They're not that interested in the fundamentals, or whether it takes six weeks to buy Eagles etc. However...it's a big mistake to ignore the fundamentals and what is happening in the big wide world.

Gold dropped 32% in 2008, bullion dealers were stripped to the floorboards, refiners and mints were overhelmed and people had to wait months for delivery and what happened next.......

Not forgetting 1974-76 when gold halved and then went up eightfold.

Edited by Take Me Back To London!