House Price Crash Forum

Agreed Improvements Before Move In

lincs

HOLA441

We have verbally agreed with an agent a list of things we require improving/installing to a house prior to our move in. The agent has so far agreed in principal that our requests can be met and that he will arrange with the landlord to get this work completed. Obviously I'll be getting this in writing before we sign anything, however, how much water does something agreed in writing hold when it comes to them actually doing what was agreed? Would we be legally entitled to withhold rent before everything is completed, for example. Obviously we can be awkward with them when it comes to viewings etc if they dont hold their end of the bargain up but would rather it not come to that.

HOLA442
HOLA443

I wish I'd thought this through when I moved into my current flat.

We agreed - in writing - that the landlord would have the shower and some other items fixed before we moved in. The landlord didn't uphold his end of the bargain. It was two months before we got it fixed - we ended up managing the project to get it fixed ourselves. Perhaps I should have demanded a rent reduction but I'm too much of a softy.

Perhaps you can specify a penalty in your agreement? If the things that need fixing aren't fixed, the landlord will pay £X for every day until the things are fixed. That might put the landlord off having you as tenants, I guess. But in the event that he fails to fix things, there really can't be any argument about compensation.

HOLA444

Best option: Wait for the work to be done before you sign anything or hand over any cash.

Next best option if the work is not that crucial: Get a clause put in the contract specifying what work is to be done by the landlord and agreeing a rent reduction until it is done.

Next best option if the work is not that crucial: Get a clause put in the contract specifying what work is to be done by the landlord and by what date.

Next best option if the work is not that crucial: Get it in writing.

Next best option if the work is not that crucial: Find somewhere else.