House Price Crash Forum

Shropshire

tplatt

HOLA441
  • 3 weeks later...
HOLA442
I am looking to move from Cornwall to Shropshire. I know Ludlow is expensive, but what is the general area like? What are the villages like in the county?

I can't speak much for the villages but we moved to Bridgnorth from the South East in 2007 and really like it up here. I drive down through Ludlow on to South Wales daily and I don't think you can go far wrong in any of the outlying areas, although coming from Cornwall the rural aspect and slower pace is going to be less of a culture shock for you than it was for me.

Also if you're looking to rent up here for a bit there are some bargains to be had, again coming from the South East this was great for me, but I imagine Cornwall is also quite expensive?

HOLA443
HOLA444
I can't speak much for the villages but we moved to Bridgnorth from the South East in 2007 and really like it up here. I drive down through Ludlow on to South Wales daily and I don't think you can go far wrong in any of the outlying areas, although coming from Cornwall the rural aspect and slower pace is going to be less of a culture shock for you than it was for me.

Also if you're looking to rent up here for a bit there are some bargains to be had, again coming from the South East this was great for me, but I imagine Cornwall is also quite expensive?

Although Cornwall is the poorest county in the country, it is one of the most expensive! Everything is a complete rip off! This is what I want to get away from. I am finding I have no quality of life anymore. I am sure there is much more going on in the Shropshire countryside than Cornwall, which is also what I like e.g. being in the middle of the country, it is not far from anywhere. Cornwall has no motorways. The nearest one is at Exeter, 100 miles away!

HOLA445

avoid Telford and anywhere near Wolverhampton, communications are quite good and I think the original inhabitants of Shropshire are quite used to incomers by now and not at all ignorant. House prices near Ludlow and in the surrounding AONB (beautiful unspoilt hill country) are quite high and houses for sale few but probably cheaper than Cornwall as Shroppie has not been on the 'second home' radar for city folk. It is still an undiscovered gem. Certain areas of Ludlow are to be avoided (the price will tell you which.) Bridgnorth is nice too.

HOLA446

Shropshire used to be a secret, and no-one ever knew where it was when you said you were from there. I would mainly agree with all of the previous comments, though there are posh areas of Telford and the council is very go ahead, with good schools.

Shrewsbury is lovely but having been brought up there and moved away then back a few times, there is a misery which you notice when youve been to Birmingham for the day. There are no poor schools in Shrewsbury, just better ones.

If you are looking for a nice village on the way to Chester and north try Lynneal, Nesscliffe, Knockin (which has a shop) Ellesmere has some bad reputation but is a lovely visit. Oswestry is a different world.

For Telford and the links to the M6, (posh and expensive) Iron bridge, Much Wenlock, Brosely, Wroxeter, Albrighton (there are a few albrightons and all are OK)

South dont do Bayston Hill or Cross Houses, but Condover, Church Streeton and surround, Yockleton even?

If you see a name, let me know and I will let you know.

HOLA447
HOLA448
I am looking to move from Cornwall to Shropshire. I know Ludlow is expensive, but what is the general area like? What are the villages like in the county?

Been living there 18 months (north). My apologies to those in between, but IMO it's full of either MEWed snobs or MEWed chavs, with very few in between. A seriously depressing place compared to where we moved from. Cannot wait to get out of the place.

HOLA449
Shropshire used to be a secret, and no-one ever knew where it was when you said you were from there. I would mainly agree with all of the previous comments, though there are posh areas of Telford and the council is very go ahead, with good schools.

Shrewsbury is lovely but having been brought up there and moved away then back a few times, there is a misery which you notice when youve been to Birmingham for the day. There are no poor schools in Shrewsbury, just better ones.

If you are looking for a nice village on the way to Chester and north try Lynneal, Nesscliffe, Knockin (which has a shop) Ellesmere has some bad reputation but is a lovely visit. Oswestry is a different world.

For Telford and the links to the M6, (posh and expensive) Iron bridge, Much Wenlock, Brosely, Wroxeter, Albrighton (there are a few albrightons and all are OK)

South dont do Bayston Hill or Cross Houses, but Condover, Church Streeton and surround, Yockleton even?

If you see a name, let me know and I will let you know.

Many thanks for all that info. Will bear them all in mind. I may come back with some more questions at a later date.

HOLA4410
Been living there 18 months (north). My apologies to those in between, but IMO it's full of either MEWed snobs or MEWed chavs, with very few in between. A seriously depressing place compared to where we moved from. Cannot wait to get out of the place.

What is IMO and MEW...but I think I agree. But is (north) Wem?- because then I full y understand your misery.

Shropshire is rural and there is much to run down, especially if you were brought up there, BUT I would like to say that the hills and streams and hedges and meres and tudor buildings and the river severn are a great pull if you are stuck in Peckham.

Check out our pubs for sale and conversion/refurb at Paramount investments http://www.paramountinvestments.co.uk/investments/index.php

10.jpg

post-17111-1233760568_thumb.jpg

Edited by West Hampstead

HOLA4411

Shropshire is a surprisingly big county. Each town and village is different, one to another. I like Oswestry, much improved from not so long ago when they had riots every New Year. On the other hand, Whitchurch used to be pleasant and is now umpty. Try before you buy.

HOLA4412
What is IMO and MEW...but I think I agree. But is (north) Wem?- because then I full y understand your misery.

Shropshire is rural and there is much to run down, especially if you were brought up there, BUT I would like to say that the hills and streams and hedges and meres and tudor buildings and the river severn are a great pull if you are stuck in Peckham.

Check out our pubs for sale and conversion/refurb at Paramount investments http://www.paramountinvestments.co.uk/investments/index.php

10.jpg

LOL - I moved myself, wife and toddler up to Shrewsbury in March 07 having sold in Peckham (/East Dulwich borders, if you're an EA) in summer 06. I love Shropshire - friendly people, a rural feel and even in the centre of Shrewsbury I only have to drive for two or three minutes before I'm surrounded by fields full of sheep.

Trying to buy up here at the moment but prices are log-jammed on the "nicer" properties and not much seems to be shifting/appearing on the market. But as a lifestyle change from the capital, Shropshire is wonderful.

Any comments on Shrewsbury primary schools much appreciated - and what's the deal with Wem? Lots of really nice houses but a weird ghost town feel and full of chavs from my (limited) experience of the place.

HOLA4413

have been following the house prices in Shropshire for some time and some EAs are better at persuading the sellers to drop their prices than others - and they are the ones selling. Ludlow has very nice houses but avoid the estates from the seventies and eighties - rows of semis with no character.

a nice village in South Shropshire is best (the hilly bit) - preferably to the East of the A49 - but you might have a wait for a decent house at a decent price - although some sellers have seen the light and reduced their prices.

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

I moved to North Shropshire in 1972 from the Medway Towns and even then the change of pace and lifestyle was remarkable. I'm presently living in Telford for family reasons, having moved here from Just outside Wem in 2007 and, despite what people are saying, it's actually pretty good. There's still decent jobs around, (not that relevant for me now), and the house prices aren't too bad.

Having said that we intend moving back to the countryside when our situation settles. I prefer North Shropshire to South. The people down there always strike me as a bit 'snooty', for want of a better word, but that's just a personal preference. It's maybe more to do with me having lived in North Shroppie for nearly 40 years I suppose :)

In terms of towns Shrewsbury is nice or, if you want somewhere quiet, Whitchurch or Wem.

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4416
despite what people are saying, it's actually pretty good. There's still decent jobs around, (not that relevant for me now), and the house prices aren't too bad.

We moved to Telford, up from Surrey in 2002, and love it here. House prices are generally good, although the overpriced houses have been hanging around RM for well over a year. They were priced in an upward headed market that kind of conked out, and haven't come down again. But the real growth in prices never really happened like it did further south.

If you have teenage kids, then the choice of secondary schools is fantastic - we even have the highest ranked comprehensive in the country (England) - Thomas Telford School. There is at least one brand new secondary being built currently within Telford with another starting build in the next year or two (to replace older schools).

We are just minutes from wide open countryside, or motorway, depending which way you go.

London is only 2 and a bit hours away if you avoid the Birmingham M6 scrum, and I have often been in London ready for 9am meetings. There is now even have a direct train service. 1 hour or so from Birmingham, NEC, Manchester, Liverpool, East Midlands airport.

Oh, and something that I loved coming from around the A3 in New Malden is that apart from some dabbling by the council etc. the road network is great. Hardly ever a traffic jam, nice fast, free flowing roads.

And yes, we have electricity, running water, etc. etc. :-)

• 4 weeks later...
HOLA4417
We moved to Telford, up from Surrey in 2002, and love it here. House prices are generally good, although the overpriced houses have been hanging around RM for well over a year. They were priced in an upward headed market that kind of conked out, and haven't come down again. But the real growth in prices never really happened like it did further south.

If you have teenage kids, then the choice of secondary schools is fantastic - we even have the highest ranked comprehensive in the country (England) - Thomas Telford School. There is at least one brand new secondary being built currently within Telford with another starting build in the next year or two (to replace older schools).

We are just minutes from wide open countryside, or motorway, depending which way you go.

London is only 2 and a bit hours away if you avoid the Birmingham M6 scrum, and I have often been in London ready for 9am meetings. There is now even have a direct train service. 1 hour or so from Birmingham, NEC, Manchester, Liverpool, East Midlands airport.

Oh, and something that I loved coming from around the A3 in New Malden is that apart from some dabbling by the council etc. the road network is great. Hardly ever a traffic jam, nice fast, free flowing roads.

And yes, we have electricity, running water, etc. etc. :-)

Well said Stave Browne. When I go to watch Spurs from South London, I set off at the same time as my friend in Shrewsbury, and on occassion, we arrive at White Hart Lane about the same time> (thats south London without a tube station) I am cosiderably more frazzled too.

HOLA4418
Well said Stave Browne. When I go to watch Spurs from South London, I set off at the same time as my friend in Shrewsbury, and on occassion, we arrive at White Hart Lane about the same time> (thats south London without a tube station) I am cosiderably more frazzled too.

:-)

My parents live in SW London; my brother lives in Harrow. I live in Telford. I have at least once managed to get to my parents quicker than him. Bizarre but true!

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4419

Lived in Shropshire for 35 years and love the county - wouldn't say its 'better' than any others, however I have no intentions of leaving.

I prefer mid to the south of Shropshire rather than the North, but this is mainly due to the fact the North is flat whereas the Mid/South is hilly

Lived and worked in Telford for 7 years (Leegomery) and like all largish towns in the UK it has its bad bits and good bits - personally I found it nice. However Telford has no real centre so I wouldn't really recommend it when Shrewsbury or Bridgnorth are only 20 mins away.

The best part of Shropshire for me however are the hills - great for cycling/running and walking.

Kaine

HOLA4420

I think a full and serious appreciation of farmers and farming is a prerequisite to live there. South of Ludlow, Bromyard and Clee Hill all the way up to the M5 is hill country and the best countryside in England in my opinion.

Not sure that helps in any meaningful way but Shropshire is special.

• 3 weeks later...
HOLA4421
I think a full and serious appreciation of farmers and farming is a prerequisite to live there. South of Ludlow, Bromyard and Clee Hill all the way up to the M5 is hill country and the best countryside in England in my opinion.

+1

but it is also one of the best kept secrets as far as 'blow-ins' are concerned. You are not a real resident unless you can trace generations of previous residents and it is no good coming in with an arrogant attitude because you were foolish enough to pay 600K for a tarted up country cottage. The hills in the south are wonderful and it is a very magical area even if not for everyone. That unfortunately means the house prices are a tad on the upside (except for Telford of course ;) )

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4422
+1

but it is also one of the best kept secrets as far as 'blow-ins' are concerned. You are not a real resident unless you can trace generations of previous residents and it is no good coming in with an arrogant attitude because you were foolish enough to pay 600K for a tarted up country cottage. The hills in the south are wonderful and it is a very magical area even if not for everyone. That unfortunately means the house prices are a tad on the upside (except for Telford of course ;) )

Everyone keeps saying Shropshire's expensive, but I think it is cheap, compared to where I live in South Cornwall. For £500k, you get a pokey bungalow. In Shropshire you get a Georgian house.

HOLA4423

If it's farmers chugging along on tractors, that's fine, but when there are massive HGVs involved. It's sheer hell. There is farming and there is farming. I should know. Cornwall has a massive problem with HGVs. They're everywhere!

• 1 month later...
HOLA4424

As a Salopian (I live in Shrewsbury, the county town) I ought to contribute to this thread. Essentially Shropshire can be broken into three areas: North, South and East.

North Shropshire is quite cheap, especially Oswestry and Wem. I can't make my mind up about these towns - they're not outstanding but they're not terrible either. Oswestry has good and bad areas. I'm keeping an eye on prices in these two towns, as I think they offer good value for money and are affordable for me. Saying that, I'm hoping for another 10% fall at least. Otherwise in the north of the county there's Ellesmere, which is nice - though there will be a huge urban extension built soon - and Whitchurch and Market Drayton. These two latter towns are to be avoided in my opinion, though Whitchurch has train links to Manchester, which might be useful.

Shrewsbury sits sort of in North Shropshire. It's a very polarised place, with rich areas, poor areas, very poor areas and swathes of standard middle class suburbs. Avoid Harlescott, Ditherington, Monkmoor, Castlefields, Meole Brace (the council estate bit - the old village is nice) and Bayston Hill. Also parts of the town centre suffer from the night time economy, which in Shrewsbury involves thousands of young people getting totally w*nkered every Friday and Saturday nights. So avoid many of the apartments on offer in the west end of the town centre. For some reason Shrewsbury has quite high house prices and I feel the town overall is over-priced property-wise.

East Shropshire is dominated by Telford, which I suggest people avoid. It's cheap, but there's a reason for that. Newport is okay, with good schools, but little else. The Ironbridge Gorge is obviously wonderful, but keep clear of the town of Broseley and make sure you don't buy a property in the parts of the gorge that are sinking!!

South Shropshire, as mentioned previously in this thread, is the best half of the county. Ludlow and Church Stretton are VERY nice towns. Bridgnorth is also a good place and has good road links to the West Midlands conurbation too. However, there are a few dumps too, namely (small) parts of Ludlow, the village of Highley and the rather odd place that is Craven Arms. Best thing to do in South Shropshire is to find a nice village, with a pub, post office, etc, though finding an appropriate house for sale can take a while. Otherwise, if you can afford it, Ludlow is the best in this half of the county, and quite probably the whole of Shropshire.

Edited by Mr Deflation

HOLA4425
As a Salopian (I live in Shrewsbury, the county town) I ought to contribute to this thread. Essentially Shropshire can be broken into three areas: North, South and East.

North Shropshire is quite cheap, especially Oswestry and Wem. I can't make my mind up about these towns - they're not outstanding but they're not terrible either. Oswestry has good and bad areas. I'm keeping an eye on prices in these two towns, as I think they offer good value for money and are affordable for me. Saying that, I'm hoping for another 10% fall at least. Otherwise in the north of the county there's Ellesmere, which is nice - though there will be a huge urban extension built soon - and Whitchurch and Market Drayton. These two latter towns are to be avoided in my opinion, though Whitchurch has train links to Manchester, which might be useful.

Shrewsbury sits sort of in North Shropshire. It's a very polarised place, with rich areas, poor areas, very poor areas and swathes of standard middle class suburbs. Avoid Harlescott, Ditherington, Monkmoor, Castlefields, Meole Brace (the council estate bit - the old village is nice) and Bayston Hill. Also parts of the town centre suffer from the night time economy, which in Shrewsbury involves thousands of young people getting totally w*nkered every Friday and Saturday nights. So avoid many of the apartments on offer in the west end of the town centre. For some reason Shrewsbury has quite high house prices and I feel the town overall is over-priced property-wise.

East Shropshire is dominated by Telford, which I suggest people avoid. It's cheap, but there's a reason for that. Newport is okay, with good schools, but little else. The Ironbridge Gorge is obviously wonderful, but keep clear of the town of Broseley and make sure you don't buy a property in the parts of the gorge that are sinking!!

South Shropshire, as mentioned previously in this thread, is the best half of the county. Ludlow and Church Stretton are VERY nice towns. Bridgnorth is also a good place and has good road links to the West Midlands conurbation too. However, there are a few dumps too, namely (small) parts of Ludlow, the village of Highley and the rather odd place that is Craven Arms. Best thing to do in South Shropshire is to find a nice village, with a pub, post office, etc, though finding an appropriate house for sale can take a while. Otherwise, if you can afford it, Ludlow is the best in this half of the county, and quite probably the whole of Shropshire.

I keep having a look at this thread to see what people have said about my hometown. On the whole I think we are all in agreement...but I have to pull you up on your advice to avoid Monkmoor and Castlefields. There are parts of each I would avoid but Castlefields is a great little community, with history and is 5 minutes away from the town centre and Trains. (lots of dog muck though) and as for Monkmoor, the streets off Monkmoor road and underdale road are lovely. Plus Belvidere school is oversubscribed every year.