Ski Bum

HOLA441
  • 3 months later...
  • Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Jodie the Estate Agent complaining in the Stockport Times she's a victim because she can not longer pig out on as much debt to buy a home, as others did in previous boom years.

No calls for house prices to fall from her. Not got £10,000 Jodie? Well get to the back of the queue behind those who've been saving.

No more jumping ahead for your type, and outbidding people in better and more secure financial positions. Those years are gone. Go take your 95% deal from UK Gov and buy somewhere crap at a crazy high price, if your job is as secure as you think it is.

Shaky pic sorry.

JodieEA.jpg

post-12306-0-24226700-1322840330_thumb.jpg

• 5 months later...
HOLA443

I've got to presume they've just put an attention-grabbing low guide price on this, to draw attention and people into the auction.

And have to wonder why they've not finalised planning permission themselves.

It's pretty well located. I was half tempted to check it out, and maybe go to the auction paying the deposit and have cleared funds in order to take a risk if it were to not get as much bidding attention as it probably will do, but I'm going to pass. Not got time to properly assess it and other risks involved before auction.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-37798247.html

http://www.pugh-auctions.com/Lot/Manchester/20120531/018

Plan is clearer in the second link. Not sure what El Sub Sta means.. substation?

HOLA444
HOLA445

It's a Madrid Metro station a long way out of its way...

Probably means Electricity Substation.

Hehe, took me a moment to get that when I had my serious thinking head on.

Yes, I think this electricity substation is the building you can see in Rightmove pic 3 (with the climbing ivy or whatever on the side), at the entrance to the plot. My guess would be the utility company/agency are the owners of that on that garage plot of land, and left it standing for many years.

I think it matches up with this http://www.flickr.co...key/5795264486/

Reading another planning application thingy from 2010 for what was a proposed development backing onto that site, if that old garage building is a home to bats, that could be problematic for any new development. Bat colony issues seems to be given high priority in that area. One of the unknown risks I had in mind when suggesting time for research would be required, before risking a bid on such a site. Pretty sketch of a potential house, no planning permission but an attractive guide price, so what are the problems?

http://www.mancheste...oads/List_7.pdf

shall include provision for the retention and maintenance of the bat buildings (also used as garages). These buildings shall not be altered in any way without the prior written approval of the LPA; any roost entrance must not be obstructed and or lit in any way. Access to the properties for inspection of the roosting features must be allowed.
Edited by Venger

HOLA446

Just been reading though loads of planning docs for the site behind, where over the last year a developer has built load of houses, all on the site on an old synagogue.

You can see the newbuild houses to the right of pic 2 on the Rightmove link, with at least one of them still half-way through its build.

That particular location is major place for bats on the local level. Lots of submissions and data about that, including loads of monitoring, range of special trees that bats like to feed around, and many measures to have houses with special bat cavities for roosting, and covenants that owners can't disturb or damage ect.

Also in the planning permission detail for building those newbuild homes on the site to the side, there's this, which for me means there's significant risk it's on the garage site too.

The site suffers from infestation of Japanese knotweed.

HOLA447

Swung around tonight on way back from Manchester, with drunken passengers asleep in the car. Looks like someone has some sort of complicated interest in that plot anyway.. unless they're trying to project that interest, to acquire rest of site at a low price at auction.

In the auction listing it looks like it all is included, but this piece of paper stuck to a board, with a red ink note claiming one garage not included. Land registry docs would need to be read for anyone making a bid, but already put off by too many problems, so I'm not getting involved. The substation is at the gate, that building linked to on flickr, and was humming away.

plotprobs1a.jpg

plotprobs1b.jpg

post-12306-0-69651300-1337472201_thumb.jpg

post-12306-0-43890600-1337472220_thumb.jpg

Edited by Venger

HOLA448

Swung around tonight on way back from Manchester, with drunken passengers asleep in the car. Looks like someone has some sort of complicated interest in that plot anyway.. unless they're trying to project that interest, to acquire rest of site at a low price at auction.

In the auction listing it looks like it all is included, but this piece of paper stuck to a board, with a red ink note claiming one garage not included. Land registry docs would need to be read for anyone making a bid, but already put off by too many problems, so I'm not getting involved. The substation is at the gate, that building linked to on flickr, and was humming away.

Intriguing, the lot stood out a mile in the Pugh auction listing, there had to be something up. I'd always thought that Pugh were a pretty straight company and wouldn't want to be involved in a site with real problems, wonder if they know about the dispute?

HOLA449
Intriguing, the lot stood out a mile in the Pugh auction listing, there had to be something up. I'd always thought that Pugh were a pretty straight company and wouldn't want to be involved in a site with real problems, wonder if they know about the dispute?

There's only some much an auctioneer can do. Who knows if whoever stuck a note up on a sign, with a few dabs of tape, really has a valid claim. A right of way/easement over 'the whole yard' doesn't necessarily mean the seller can't build on it, I wouldn't have thought, but their claim about the garage more concerning. 114 for further info? Couple of companies linked to that address. 112 seems to have way more association with the plot.

The legal docs, including titles and searches are up with the Pugh Listing now. Need to sign in, or register, if you haven't got an account already. At first rapid glance, I can't see anything that stands out as a problem, but would have to check the meaning of a few things.

http://www.pugh-auctions.com/Lot/Manchester/20120531/018/Legals

However, at auction, bidders have a responsibility to check that sales particulars paint an accurate picture. "You may find that aspects of the property are very different in reality to what you assumed from the auction catalogue," says David Dalby of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors. "Auctions are a good way to sell problem, or otherwise unsaleable, properties, so it's essential to do your homework."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2011/may/01/hidden-risks-buying-auction

HOLA4410

Actually I partly see 114's position in this. In the second document, the plan looks to have 114's land extending out to over one garage.

And some of the legal wording for the auction sale is very cagey sounding, especially legal doc 1.

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4411
This lot has been SOLD PRIOR to the auction.

http://www.pugh-auctions.com/Lot/Manchester/20120531/018

I've made a mental note to revisit the site in about a year and see if the buyer has progressed it.

Full results for that 31st May auction but can't see anything of interest in it.

http://www.pugh-auctions.com/Auction/Manchester/20120531

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

As any sort of comparison, iirc, this "plot" in hale alty borders sold for over £60k (!)

http://www.rightmove...y-32298854.html

I take it you checked the auction results and have it in your memory it went for a bit over £60,000.

Just looked at that site on Streetview. Then I looked at this Trafford Planning 'map' properly for the first time, which howarden referred to on another thread yesterday ('BTW - I think Trafford Council's online planning map is fantastic.')

I hadn't realised how good it was. Up until today I hadn't used it properly before. Initial attempt ages ago didn't give any info when mouse clicking on sites of interest. Done correctly, or with luck, when you click on a property on the map which you're interested in, it brings up planning apps, and historical planning apps, when there are any. Makes it easy to find details.

A recent application (filed in December 2011) to build 2 houses on that garage site was withdrawn. I'd like to see the plans but that link seems to be dead. And permission was refused for a house to be built there in 1984 according to application site history. If no permission possible, £60,000 could be expensive for a site and some garages.

HOLA4414

I take it you checked the auction results and have it in your memory it went for a bit over £60,000.

Just looked at that site on Streetview. Then I looked at this Trafford Planning 'map' properly for the first time, which howarden referred to on another thread yesterday ('BTW - I think Trafford Council's online planning map is fantastic.')

I hadn't realised how good it was. Up until today I hadn't used it properly before. Initial attempt ages ago didn't give any info when mouse clicking on sites of interest. Done correctly, or with luck, when you click on a property on the map which you're interested in, it brings up planning apps, and historical planning apps, when there are any. Makes it easy to find details.

A recent application (filed in December 2011) to build 2 houses on that garage site was withdrawn. I'd like to see the plans but that link seems to be dead. And permission was refused for a house to be built there in 1984 according to application site history. If no permission possible, £60,000 could be expensive for a site and some garages.

pretty sure it was 65 or 68 grand. Tried to search to see if I'd posted it previously but I couldn't find it. I only posted it as an example to see how much more it could go for than the £8k reserve that has been set.

As for the Hale site, 2 houses on a 160m2 plot? :lol: Wedged between a dilapidated house on Cedar Road, lovely flowery sofa in the back window and a practically boarded up house on S.P. Road that, to my mind, looks like a drugs farm from the outside. luverly. Previosu to the sale that site looked a bit of a store/dumping ground for a trademan/builder of sort. Black bimmer now parked by the house.

Funnily enough I was going past at half 4 in the morning last Saturday and a load of dodgy looking men were unloading a knackered transit full of stuff into one of the garages or that SP Road house. Well dodgy.

HOLA4415
Funnily enough I was going past at half 4 in the morning last Saturday and a load of dodgy looking men were unloading a knackered transit full of stuff into one of the garages or that SP Road house. Well dodgy.

There's a black 1 series beamer on the Streetview (image date May 2009) on the plot site. Just can't see 2 houses on that site. Maybe 1 with a tiny back yard/garden where the standalone garage is. £65k/£68K.

Yes re the guide price of that Didsbury plot, and I accept at auction it probably would have sold for a lot more, and probably did if sold before auction. It's just that small hope something will slip though at a realistic price for one of us, reaching a point where the bidding competition drops off because many start to feel the debt they're already carrying, or can't bid high because of their circumstances, or the risk involved.

On the other extreme for asking price, there is this site I've had bookmarked before it was listed again on the link below. Like Tripps one, in a conservation area.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-19952232.html

Needs a cash buyer, but crazy high asking price £295,000, in my opinion. I thought it might be owned by the council or an insurance company, and that maybe they'd be ready to accept a really low offer in time to come. That maybe planning could be acquired for 2 to 4 terrace houses.

Unlikely for the planning I've discovered. In 2008 a planning app was even refused to knock it down and build a big house in its place. It's set back from the road, running so close to the train tracks. Yet the conservation area status around that area meaning the planners won't bend at all, even for a new house in its place. Means the buyer has to restore that heap ££££££. These strict planners really need to become realistic to circumstances.

And, in 2006, before it was all vandalised and fire damaged, it was up for sale and going into auction, with a guide price of £325,000.

PDF http://sitew.net/pdf/bh/GHBH164277.pdf

Even getting a site at a realistic price (£8K-£14K) doesn't mean value if you can't do much with it, such as build. Those Hale garages you could at least rent out, even to dodgy characters, but £65,000 or £68,000 outlay a lot of money, if can't build a house on it. I can only hope the buyer is prevented from buying anything else, or is soon put in a position where they need to raise cash having run to assets at that price. Then other sites still asking top price and so limited to what you can do, requiring peak spending.

HOLA4416

Just seen there are two other earlier planning applications. One similarly refused turned down for demolition and the building of a new house.

The other in 2005 where the applicant wanted to keep the main part of the existing coach house, but make adjustments so it becomes a terraced row of three homes.

Sweet idea imo, and really trying to meet the exacting demands of planners with their conservation area rules, but balancing just a little real world pragmatism. Refused though.

Refurbishment of existing house, demolition of single storey extensions, erection of two new two storey extensions to create a terrace of three dwellings, a new vehicular access and a replacement double garage

A few reasons it was refused, including the overly strict reasons of appearance and historic nature of the conservation area, but this really weak reason, which especially winds me up and betrays their own selfish thinking.

Reason: Housing Phasing policy Text: Policy HP1.5 of the First Review of the Stockport Unitary Development Plan, which the Council has adopted for development control purposes to manage housing supply, requires that planning permission be refused as the proposed development would exacerbate the over supply of planning permissions for housing development within the borough, and would not achieve any of the benefits to regeneration specified in that policy.

HOLA4417

... but this really weak reason, which especially winds me up and betrays their own selfish thinking.

With all the wailing and gnashing of teeth about not building enough homes, I was shocked a couple of years ago when I phoned Warrington Council for some advice on planning permission for a self-build. The nice lady on the phone basically said that there was an 'over-supply of housing' and they were only granting permission for social housing.

I then looked into it and it was actually a policy across an awful lot of the country to restrict permissions in this way. I'm not convinced that anything has changed yet.

HOLA4418
The nice lady on the phone basically said that there was an 'over-supply of housing' and they were only granting permission for social housing.

I then looked into it and it was actually a policy across an awful lot of the country to restrict permissions in this way. I'm not convinced that anything has changed yet.

Depressing. Fully believe you, and either am I. That localism planning has a nice ring to it, but I'm yet to be convinced it will lead to any relaxation of some overly strict rules, preventing planning where it wouldn't have a negative impact. I just hope it doesn't make things even more complex to get any planning through.

HOLA4419

This house sold for £175,000 on 23rd Nov 2007. (Zoopla source). And prior to that sold at £69,000 in 1998.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-37991516.html

It's on the wrong-side of Cheadle Hulme for me and on the main road, small, with just 2 bedrooms, but apparently has parking at the back.

I think the EA thought it was keenly priced when they brought it to market in May, stating on the Rightmove page, "Plenty Of Interest Anticipated."

Today they've had to reduce the asking price by another £5,000.

• 1 month later...
HOLA4420

Just adding this one to show how ludicrous asking prices elsewhere could, if and when conditions bite, see sudden falls.

Edward Mellor, who should be more realistic than most, listed it very aspirationally at Offers in Region of £325,000. Today cut to £250,000.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-34320331.html

Not my idea of a good location. The only large house around, some terraces down the lane, and in the shadows of those tower blocks.

HOLA4421

Just adding this one to show how ludicrous asking prices elsewhere could, if and when conditions bite, see sudden falls.

Edward Mellor, who should be more realistic than most, listed it very aspirationally at Offers in Region of £325,000. Today cut to £250,000.

http://www.rightmove...y-34320331.html

Not my idea of a good location. The only large house around, some terraces down the lane, and in the shadows of those tower blocks.

That location is stunning, I know you said shadows of the tower blocks, but didn't realise you were being literal!

HOLA4422
That location is stunning, I know you said shadows of the tower blocks, but didn't realise you were being literal!

It's a fairly nice house, but just about the only one, in a not so nice area. I'm wary of that. Had some bad experience growing up on a newbuild estate, where the only access roads to it was through a very rough council estate. Got into my first fight when 8, straying into that area with a girl neighbour of the same age. Her father told me off later that day, as if I should have known the way of things. Then fight with punches when I was 10.

We moved for other reason a few weeks later, and I spent a year with my Gran thereafter in a normal terrace in a pretty rundown area. The kids were fine there, if just as equally rough, but lots of hanging out, skateboarding and bike riding together. I think the animosity was because they thought you had so much more than them, living in the nicer housing estate.

I wouldn't like to bring up kids in that Stockport house because less likely they'll make friends to play out with, or risk of attitudes against them for living in the nice house in the area.

Edited by Venger

• 1 year later...
HOLA4423

pretty sure it was 65 or 68 grand. Tried to search to see if I'd posted it previously but I couldn't find it. I only posted it as an example to see how much more it could go for than the £8k reserve that has been set.

As for the Hale site, 2 houses on a 160m2 plot? laugh.gif Wedged between a dilapidated house on Cedar Road, lovely flowery sofa in the back window and a practically boarded up house on S.P. Road that, to my mind, looks like a drugs farm from the outside. luverly. Previosu to the sale that site looked a bit of a store/dumping ground for a trademan/builder of sort. Black bimmer now parked by the house.

BOOM!

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-31516932.html

That's £3750 per square metre for the ******ing plot! Let alone accommodation if the 160sq m from the old planning application is correct. Could look for the current pp is I was at all arsed.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

By the way, the "dodgy blokes" (sorry for judging) look like they're newspaper distributors. So this house will cost you £600k for the House and £15k for a new transit for the neighbours so the fumes don't suffocate you and the agricultural diesel noise wake you up every ******ing morning.

HOLA4424

BOOM!

That's £3750 per square metre for the ******ing plot! Let alone accommodation if the 160sq m from the old planning application is correct. Could look for the current pp is I was at all arsed.

By the way, the "dodgy blokes" (sorry for judging) look like they're newspaper distributors. So this house will cost you £600k for the House and £15k for a new transit for the neighbours so the fumes don't suffocate you and the agricultural diesel noise wake you up every ******ing morning.

Ah that one, this site where there used to be some storage garages: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.382702,-2.339333,3a,75y,298.73h,76.56t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sBuaZ7CZ6PIrG2u4NXDKqUQ!2e0?hl=en

As for the Hale site, 2 houses on a 160m2 plot? laugh.gif Wedged between a dilapidated house on Cedar Road, lovely flowery sofa in the back window and a practically boarded up house on S.P. Road that, to my mind, looks like a drugs farm from the outside. luverly. Previosu to the sale that site looked a bit of a store/dumping ground for a trademan/builder of sort. Black bimmer now parked by the house.

That asking price. I've got to admit to being partly impressed with them getting such a house on there - did they acquire/build on the other part, with the garage with the black door?

HOLA4425

BOOM!

designed by multi-award winning architects Ollier Smurthwaite

F*cking 'ell.

Archtiects shouldn't be let out without adult supervision.