House Price Crash Forum

North West Highlands

AC44

HOLA441

Can see that the forum is quite focused on Edinburgh and Glasgow but does anyone have any idea on what the HPC market status for the Highlands (North-West starting from Argyll all the way to Torridon)?

Have the prices been impacted? Are there any places that have been hit more than usual?

Is there any diifference between the main towns in Scotland (Inverness) with the country villages?

HOLA442

I don't see any major drops in prices, certainly no recent inflation but prices in my opinion have not dropped much if at all. Good plots and outlooks are still snapped up quite quickly at the moment. Where there is more choice prices have softened more so Argyll and some of the less picturesque islands have seen some softening .

HOLA443

I don't see any major drops in prices, certainly no recent inflation but prices in my opinion have not dropped much if at all. Good plots and outlooks are still snapped up quite quickly at the moment. Where there is more choice prices have softened more so Argyll and some of the less picturesque islands have seen some softening .

Have been looking for some time but not sure what to make of the market. Property Bee shows that some properties are on the market for some time and prices are reducing but nothing quite significant or extreme..

• 3 years later...
HOLA444

I am still looking at this market.

Seen some price reductions very recently, so I wonder if the 2nd home SDLT is having an impact on prices. For houses that have not sold for some time, see few with reduced house prices. Perhaps the prices will get nearer reality now..

• 2 years later...
HOLA445

I live in the area you mention. Prices in this area are one of the most expensive in scotland outside of edinburgh. The cheapest building plot available just now is 50k. Some as high as 100k. 

Houses around the 250k mark are everywhere. 

Argyle is a bit cheaper than lochaber and skye and kyle area a bit cheaper as well. 

Oban is quite cheap or in otherwords fort william and area prices are a lot higher than oban. 

Skye has dropped quite a bit and slowley over the past 6-7 years. But it needed to it got plain silly there, but once they dpend a year or two up there they are begging to sell and anothet dreamer comes along to buy from them. Further up the west gets a bit cheaper along into caithness and sutherland and over by the black isle. 

Some of the cheapest property in the highlands can be found on isle of lewis and the uists. Though nice areas they are bleak and remote and dont have the same lanscape benefits like lochaber does.

Ardnamurchan is cheaper but thats because its quite a remote place you can be 60 miles away from nothing more than a couple of villages. Sounds fun right? But after a while the poor weather, poor services, distances to anywhere becomes a drag much like in skye. 

HOLA446

Oh and skye is a horrible olace to live. 

1. It attracts a certain type of annoying incomer with the dreams of looking at the mountains. Think ex teachers and self rightious posh hippies from down south that think they are coming to a place where no-one should work to destroy there image. Think anti windmill campaigners, anti house builders, ex community councillors. 

2. The locals of which there aint many left are clinging onto their heritage but anyone with any get up and go just got up and left allready. So you end up with a load of lazy crofters living off the house plots they sold to the incomers in the boom years who have now spent their money and are skint.

3 lots of old retirees, see number 1.