House Price Crash Forum

Interest-Only Timebomb... Today's Times Page #2

HOLA441

Hi

article of Page 2 of today's Times - can't get past firewall (can anyone post it?). Many related articles though:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/comment/paulfarrow/9185418/A-mortgage-time-bomb-You-can-hear-it-ticking-already.html

"the regulator discovered that 30pc of new mortgages taken out between 2007 and the first quarter of 2010 were interest-only. "

http://www.ftadviser.com/2012/04/05/mortgages/mortgage-data/interest-only-mortgages-are-ticking-time-bomb-GkJjX3VQD9qyO46dHiDbCN/article.html

etc.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443

article of Page 2 of today's Times - can't get past firewall (can anyone post it?). Many related articles though:

This story, which keeps bobbing up and is quite alarming is based on this graph from the FSA second Mortgage Market Review consultation paper, which was published in December 2011.

io%2Btimebonb.png

More detail on this thread - http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=176420

HOLA444
HOLA445

This story, which keeps bobbing up and is quite alarming is based on this graph from the FSA second Mortgage Market Review consultation paper, which was published in December 2011.

io%2Btimebonb.png

More detail on this thread - http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=176420

2030 eh?, so just as we're likely recovering from the current crisis, boom!

Edited by madpenguin

HOLA446
HOLA447

I have said it before, and I will say it again;in 10 - 15 years we will see a flurry of cases from IO mortgage holders against the banks. The sun will be running articles about how 'poor families who have never missed a mortgage payment are being forced out of their homes by the evil bankers' (despite the yearly statements and key features document explaining that, they are only paying interest)

Chazney and Gareth will say that they were confused by all these overly complicated financial terms like 'interest' and 'capital'. They just wanted to be on the ladder! A series of test cases will fail but then someone will appeal and take the banks to the high court. There a judge will rule that it was unfair of the banks to offer these in the first place and everyone can keep their houses, maybe with some compensation for the distress?

HOLA448

I have said it before, and I will say it again;in 10 - 15 years we will see a flurry of cases from IO mortgage holders against the banks. The sun will be running articles about how 'poor families who have never missed a mortgage payment are being forced out of their homes by the evil bankers' (despite the yearly statements and key features document explaining that, they are only paying interest)

Chazney and Gareth will say that they were confused by all these overly complicated financial terms like 'interest' and 'capital'. They just wanted to be on the ladder! A series of test cases will fail but then someone will appeal and take the banks to the high court. There a judge will rule that it was unfair of the banks to offer these in the first place and everyone can keep their houses, maybe with some compensation for the distress?

These mortgage are never going to make it to 2030. Many of them will be the worst of the worst: high-LTV and self-certified, (i.e. liar loans). Even for the handful that keep up the IO payments, the government are going to oblige lenders to check for a repayment vehicle and where none exists they are going to push the borrowers onto repayment, where that is unaffordable, they are going to make them sell.

More importantly, this is a not just an ordinary time-bomb - it is a time-bomb that ticks faster when mortgage rates go up, and mortgage rates are going up. Interest only payments are far more sensitive to changes in the interest rate paid on the loan, for obvious reasons.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

10-15 months more like, alot of people got 2, 3 and 5 year deals since 2008, and these matured or are due ot mature nowish. with the banks saying you need 50% equity or £50k income to have a IO deal and or putting up IR's as well as forcing many IO'ers on to the SVR. its not going to happen enmass untill after June, but it will happen

HOLA4411
These mortgage are never going to make it to 2030. Many of them will be the worst of the worst: high-LTV and self-certified, (i.e. liar loans). Even for the handful that keep up the IO payments, the government are going to oblige lenders to check for a repayment vehicle and where none exists they are going to push the borrowers onto repayment, where that is unaffordable, they are going to make them sell.

More importantly, this is a not just an ordinary time-bomb - it is a time-bomb that ticks faster when mortgage rates go up, and mortgage rates are going up. Interest only payments are far more sensitive to changes in the interest rate paid on the loan, for obvious reasons.

+1

HOLA4412

This story, which keeps bobbing up and is quite alarming is based on this graph from the FSA second Mortgage Market Review consultation paper[/url], which was published in December 2011.

Thanks for this. I checked the last two pages of hpc and no matching thread.

Note this story is now a major full-page story - "Thousands Face Mortgage Time-bomb" - on page 3 of the Times today. MSM bear-food indeed. Also mentions that i/o "forbearance" loans are propping up the market and reducing repos.

Edited by dryrot

HOLA4413

io%2Btimebonb.png

seems a bit of a nonsense scare story, what it doesnt take into account is that as houseprices in the UK double every seven years* by the middle of the bulk of expiries the debt will only be 25% of the loan so not an issue at all really.

*Except Maidstone which tends to treble over the same time period

Edited by Georgia O'Keeffe

HOLA4414

seems a bit of a nonsense scare story, what it doesnt take into account is that as houseprices in the UK double every seven years* by the middle of the bulk of expiries the debt will only be 25% of the loan so not an issue at all really.

*Except Maidstone which tends to treble over the same time period

Please stop trying to talk the Maidstone market down..

HOLA4415

I guess you can't blame people for following the government's lead on borrowing ... i.e. Don't worry about ever paying it back as we will just roll over the debt (or 'something' will come up to save our bacon) and everything will be OK as long as the interest rate is low.

HOLA4416

Be good to see the odd bank make a pre-emptive strike in suing those who lied when self-certifying... get their suit in before Chazney and Gareth strike: nip it in the bud before the bleaters who made bankruptcy respectable jump on this bandwagon.

Edited by Woot

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Thanks for this. I checked the last two pages of hpc and no matching thread.

Note this story is now a major full-page story - "Thousands Face Mortgage Time-bomb" - on page 3 of the Times today. MSM bear-food indeed. Also mentions that i/o "forbearance" loans are propping up the market and reducing repos.

I find the bias in the reporting disturbing though - the wording used still suggests sympathy with the mortgagees, not censure at their stupidity or lies. It's a long way away from sympathy with the priced out or prudent.

HOLA4419

2030 eh?, so just as we're likely recovering from the current crisis, boom!

Yep. And between now and then we have a growing trickle of (multi-)homeowners retiring and getting older, with some of them wanting to cash in their assets.

A bargain in waiting for some - like today's small sprogs! Not to mention that an employable young person thinking ahead has a range of choices: the one I took (flee abroad, return at just under 40) looks long-term a whole lot more interesting for today's young graduates.

HOLA4420

yes it is.I'm getting a few people ringing me with remo problems

if you dont mind, but what do you do to get people calling you about remortgages? my evidence is anadotically - from conversations with friends etc. my personal feeling is that sentiment is still good at the moment, and people are full of opomisim, people are not talking freely about mortgage problems, its not hit the conciousness of the masses yet, once all the fell good distractions are over, and the cold hard feeling of realilty are over, then thats when people/the meeja will turn again.

and it's all down to LTV not arrears in these cases.They genuinely seem shocked that the bank value their house at say £100k and not the £140k they paid.banks have clearly drawn a line in the sand.

Agree, i know of people who took out IO's from 2008 to 2010, and all bar 1 will be buggered. IMO. one couple's mortgage deal ends this month, and they got a 100% I/O 2 years ago. they got a letter from their bank saying their payments will go up a minmum £383, but this could be more depending on other things that have changed since that letter.

know a developer who's £2.5 mill balls deep in a 13 flat conversion of a mill.owes the banks £1.8 mill and they're whacking him with all sorts of charges for remo when at the mo he is servicing the loan.They value the flats at £1.8 and it seems to me as if they're driving him towards repo to get out while they can.

Ouch!

HOLA4421

Be good to see the odd bank make a pre-emptive strike in suing those who lied when self-certifying... get their suit in before Chazney and Gareth strike: nip it in the bud before the bleaters who made bankruptcy respectable jump on this bandwagon.

no need for that, just the old fasion Margin Call would sort the wheat from the chaff

HOLA4422

I don't get what the problem is.

Surely even people who have a repayment vehicle won't be stupid enough to pay the mortgage with it? They can spend the money on a round-the-world cruise and a nice Rolls Royce and then wait for the taxpayer (through SMI) to pick up the bill for the mortgage.

HOLA4423

Won't these figures be of mortgages that were taken out as interest only?

What about all those that are switching to interest only from repayment mortgages?

Up to 300,000 cash-strapped households have switched more than £60bn of mortgage debt from repayment into risky interest-only deals over the past three years to help cover their living costs.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/borrowing/mortgages/8546531/Cash-strapped-families-switch-60bn-worth-of-mortgages-to-interest-only.html

SMI never ends for pensioners. Switch to interest only, spend the extra cash each month, then have taxpayers pay your mortgage until you die. RBS extended my neighbours mortgage to age 73. Guaranteed taxpayer cash for bankers.

HOLA4424

That would be the sensible thing to conclude, however I think cola may actually be proved right. Can the banks adjust rates slowly enough to take these back slow drip?

HOLA4425

yes it is.I'm getting a few people ringing me with remo problems and it's all down to LTV not arrears in these cases.They genuinely seem shocked that the bank value their house at say £100k and not the £140k they paid.banks have clearly drawn a line in the sand.

know a developer who's £2.5 mill balls deep in a 13 flat conversion of a mill.owes the banks £1.8 mill and they're whacking him with all sorts of charges for remo when at the mo he is servicing the loan.They value the flats at £1.8 and it seems to me as if they're driving him towards repo to get out while they can.

Are all Mortgage Brokers unable to use capital letters, full stops followed by spaces, or commas and paragraphs?

Is it part of the training under the "Obfuscation" section?

Edited by eric pebble