House Price Crash Forum

Why Do People Do This?

notnow

HOLA441
HOLA442

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-38617319.html

The little building with the car in front is, I presume, an elec sub station. How do you get a car in the garage?

Not many people use the garage for cars anymore. The car you see is probably the Agents. The current owners saw more value in giving themselves a Utility room. Looks like a retirement bungalow and maybe the current owners do not drive.

Some may see the add on as a positive.

I do agree it looks odd and for that price.. :lol:

HOLA443
HOLA444

actually think about it, a Garage adds value, it neccessarily doesnt mean its accessable from the road. put one in garden, and one in the loft.

fantastic idea,

i'm setting up a company to build garages in Gardens regardless of access

HOLA445

I'm thinking about setting up a charity for the protection of garages. They can't speak for themselves, so someone should stick up for them!

They're either converted into a playroom/study/bedroom, or people build stuff like this on the driveway in front of them.

It's sad. Not helped by the growth in the length/width of cars nowadays, meaning that they CAN'T actually be used as garages anymore.

HOLA446

I'm thinking about setting up a charity for the protection of garages. They can't speak for themselves, so someone should stick up for them!

They're either converted into a playroom/study/bedroom, or people build stuff like this on the driveway in front of them.

It's sad. Not helped by the growth in the length/width of cars nowadays, meaning that they CAN'T actually be used as garages anymore.

Years ago a friend was into flashy cars, swapped his 4 door estate for a 2 door coupe and found he couldn't get it into the garage and still open the door enough to get out.

He wasn't amused with my idea of getting a sunroof fitted so he could escape.

However, folks with bubble cars in the 1950s found that driving into a garage was also a problem. No reverse gear and the front opened up to let you out. If you drove in too far you were trapped in the car until someone noticed you hadn't come in for supper and came and pushed your car out again.

HOLA447

Haven't you bought a house yet, notnow? ;)

That side extension does look crap. :rolleyes: It may not be a problem to drive over to the land owned by the utilities company to put one's car in the garage. However, there is nothing to stop EDF Energy or whoever owns the substation to build a fence along the perimeter.

I do find it odd that garages are used to store a few hundred pounds worth of clutter when a car perhaps worth a few thousand pounds is relegated to outside. If I had a garage with my current home, I'd put my car in it. A car kept in a garage is a boon on winter days - saves having to de-ice the windows. B)

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

Hi mattw , no, still STR and loving it.

I am surprised no-one found the fold out extension amusing (see other thread). Perhaps its my weird sense of humour.

Poorly designed garages infuriate me. There are recent housing estates where many drives are between two houses , leaving no room to open car doors.

Then there is the shared drive, what a source of disputes with your neighbour. All this can be summed up by a W.H.Brown house that came on recently that was described as "rare at this price (£270k from memory) a house with room to live". I presume that he means all the houses he is selling for less than £270k are pokey holes with tiny rooms.

Words fail me.

Now that buyers can be choosy , any house without room to live (and a garage) is just not going to sell, Oh, and of course, it has to be the right price.

HOLA4411

I am surprised no-one found the fold out extension amusing (see other thread). Perhaps its my weird sense of humour.

Given the iffy looking extensions homeowners put on their properties in the East, I can't say that the house on the other thread is of much of a surprise. I include my parents' house in this - a 1950s ex-council house with a front porch that resembles a Chinese temple. :blink: